Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon dropping slr line?

Nikon dropping slr line?

shipping

I heard someone say that Nikon is dropping all, but one slr camera line. Is
this true?

squelch41@hotmail.com

Think that they are going to stop designing any more film SLRs, only
going to develop their digital line.

squelch41

Darrell Larose

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Think that they are going to stop designing any more film SLRs, only
> going to develop their digital line.

Nikon will drop all 35mm film cameras they make except the $2500 cdn F6.
They will still market the Cosina made FM10.

Film is dead . . . get over it!

David Dyer-Bennet

"shipping" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I heard someone say that Nikon is dropping all, but one slr camera line. Is
> this true?

No.

You're probably thinking of the changes discussed in this press
release from Nikon:

<http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/re...w.aspx?rid=201

They're keeping all their DSLR camera lines, and keeping the F6 and I
believe the FM3a. They're dropping all the other film cameras.

John A. Stovall

On 01 Feb 2006 12:22:37 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"shipping" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I heard someone say that Nikon is dropping all, but one slr camera line. Is
>> this true?

>No.
>
>You're probably thinking of the changes discussed in this press
>release from Nikon:
>
><http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/re...w.aspx?rid=201
>
>They're keeping all their DSLR camera lines, and keeping the F6 and I
>believe the FM3a. They're dropping all the other film cameras.

Wrong.

"Nikon will discontinue seven film-camera models, leaving in
production only the current top-line model, the F6, and a low-end
manual-focus model, the FM10."

http://www.casperstartribune.net/art...f50009c1e2.txt

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/mi...E=Jan+11,+2006

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

David Dyer-Bennet

John A. Stovall <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 01 Feb 2006 12:22:37 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >"shipping" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> >> I heard someone say that Nikon is dropping all, but one slr camera line. Is
> >> this true?

> >No.
> >
> >You're probably thinking of the changes discussed in this press
> >release from Nikon:
> >
> ><http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/re...w.aspx?rid=201
> >
> >They're keeping all their DSLR camera lines, and keeping the F6 and I
> >believe the FM3a. They're dropping all the other film cameras.

> Wrong.
>
> "Nikon will discontinue seven film-camera models, leaving in
> production only the current top-line model, the F6, and a low-end
> manual-focus model, the FM10."

Thanks for the correction. I optimistically remembered the *good*
manual body instead of the *cheap* one.

Helen

"Darrell Larose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43e0fa0b$0$8237$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> Film is dead . . . get over it!

Film is far from dead. It may be moribund in the 35mm domain, but it
remains very much alive and kicking at 120 rollfilm sizes and above. Until
MF digital drops to a reasonable price I'll be keeping considerable stocks
of 120/220 in my freezer.

Pete D

"Helen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Darrell Larose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43e0fa0b$0$8237$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>

>> Film is dead . . . get over it!
>>

> Film is far from dead. It may be moribund in the 35mm domain, but it
> remains very much alive and kicking at 120 rollfilm sizes and above.
> Until
> MF digital drops to a reasonable price I'll be keeping considerable stocks
> of 120/220 in my freezer.

Freezer, not recomended.

Paul Rubin

"shipping" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I heard someone say that Nikon is dropping all, but one slr camera
> line. Is this true?

They are dropping their entire film camera line with a few exceptions,
the FM10 (the FM10 is not really made by Nikon), to concentrate on
digicams. There were a bunch of news stories about it last month.

The exceptions are the F6 (Nikon's top film SLR), the FM10 (entry
level SLR actually made by another company), and a few manual focus
lenses for the 35mm SLR's. All the enlarging lenses and large format
lenses are being discontinued, IIRC.

squelch41@hotmail.com

Anyone know if any of the other big names are planning on similar
moves?
Can't be long until the film range is cut to at least semi-pro plus
only

squelch41