Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > rare pic plane crashing

rare pic plane crashing

applebun

http://www.chicagotribune.com/

online edition Chicago Tribune title page 1 Feb 2006 Palwaukee Municipal
Airport area. Captured by security camera.

Pat

I'm not sure that it's on-topic for this group, but it's pretty
incredible none-the-less. And it proves that Big Brother is watching
you everywhere.

rafe b

"Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm not sure that it's on-topic for this group, but it's pretty
> incredible none-the-less. And it proves that Big Brother is watching
> you everywhere.

Even as you die. Very comforting.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

poddys

I have a whole album of photos taken by my grandfather who was on a
minesweeper in WWI. One page of photos that I scanned in a couple of
months ago shows a biplane flying low over the sea. It was only when I
scanned the set of 4 photos (very small 4 to a page in the album) into
the computer and blew them up that I could see it showed the plane
ditching in the sea and the pilot being rescued by the ship crew in a
row boat. Pretty cool I thought.

The picture quality is poor - this was taken probably 1916-1918 and the
photo I scanned is less than 2"x2". The file size is around 800k - I
haven't done any work on it since the original scan. The link is
http://paynefamilyonline.com/FamilyS.../scan_0304.JPG if you
are interested in taking a look.
Most of the rest of the site is old family photos from England from
1910 onwards, plus some scanned documents of my grandfathers naval
career in WWI - http://paynefamilyonline.com/FamilyScans/ if you have
an interest in browsing.

I would be interested in any feedback on how to improve the picture
quality. I scanned at 400dpi, which given the quality and size of the
originals I thought to be ok.

Tony Cooper

On 1 Feb 2006 07:49:15 -0800, "poddys" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Most of the rest of the site is old family photos from England from
>1910 onwards, plus some scanned documents of my grandfathers naval
>career in WWI - http://paynefamilyonline.com/FamilyScans/ if you have
>an interest in browsing.

We live in an age of identity theft. Yet you put an image of a valid
driver's license online. You got to think about what you post, man.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

Battleax

"poddys" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a whole album of photos taken by my grandfather who was on a
> minesweeper in WWI. One page of photos that I scanned in a couple of
> months ago shows a biplane flying low over the sea. It was only when I
> scanned the set of 4 photos (very small 4 to a page in the album) into
> the computer and blew them up that I could see it showed the plane
> ditching in the sea and the pilot being rescued by the ship crew in a
> row boat. Pretty cool I thought.
>
> The picture quality is poor - this was taken probably 1916-1918 and the
> photo I scanned is less than 2"x2". The file size is around 800k - I
> haven't done any work on it since the original scan. The link is
> http://paynefamilyonline.com/FamilyS.../scan_0304.JPG if you
> are interested in taking a look.
> Most of the rest of the site is old family photos from England from
> 1910 onwards, plus some scanned documents of my grandfathers naval
> career in WWI - http://paynefamilyonline.com/FamilyScans/ if you have
> an interest in browsing.
>
> I would be interested in any feedback on how to improve the picture
> quality. I scanned at 400dpi, which given the quality and size of the
> originals I thought to be ok.

You have a pic of someone's driver's licence posted on the internet. This is
a BAD BAD BAD idea.

poddys

It's a picture that was used to test photo editing software - most of
the information on the drivers license is fake.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

"poddys" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I have a whole album of photos taken by my grandfather who was on a
> minesweeper in WWI. One page of photos that I scanned in a couple of
> months ago shows a biplane flying low over the sea. It was only when I
> scanned the set of 4 photos (very small 4 to a page in the album) into
> the computer and blew them up that I could see it showed the plane
> ditching in the sea and the pilot being rescued by the ship crew in a
> row boat. Pretty cool I thought.
>
> The picture quality is poor - this was taken probably 1916-1918 and the
> photo I scanned is less than 2"x2". The file size is around 800k - I
> haven't done any work on it since the original scan. The link is
> http://paynefamilyonline.com/FamilyS.../scan_0304.JPG if you
> are interested in taking a look.

It looks as if parts of the page weren't quite touching the glass in
the scanner.

--
Måns Rullgård

poddys

It was hard to scan - there are 4 small prints per page, and they are
glued in - cannot remove them. Since the album is very old (the photos
are from 1916-1918 period) I didn't want to ruin the album to scan the
photos in. I can always try again with the lid open and press down on
the page.

Dibley Fanshaw

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"poddys" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It was hard to scan - there are 4 small prints per page, and they are
> glued in - cannot remove them. Since the album is very old (the photos
> are from 1916-1918 period) I didn't want to ruin the album to scan the
> photos in. I can always try again with the lid open and press down on
> the page.

It may be better to gently press a small sheet of glass over the photos
to flatten them, then photograph them with a digital camera. Hold
something black to kill any reflections in the glass itself.

--
Dibley