Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Internet slowness

Internet slowness

Someone

We have about 40 Switches in our network which span 9 buildings with
T1 connection between the buildings. Our Internet connections is very
very very slow. An analysis done by a consulting company suggested
that we add spanning-tree root value o all our core switches. Would
this improve our internet experince, or are ther other things the we
can do to improve or Internet performance. Thanks.

nazgulero

Hello,

looking at the amount of buildings and switches you are mentioning, I
asume you have several hundred users ? I would have a look at the load
on the T1. Depending on the IOS version you are running on the router
connecting to the Internet, you could either turn on ip accounting on
the interface where the T1 is connecting to (with the ´ip accounting´
interface command), and then look at the output with the ´show ip
accounting´ command, this will show you the source and destination IP
address pairs, as well as the amount of packets sent. Possibly, your
users are running streaming audio or video over the T!, which would
quickly saturate the link.
You could also try and turn on NBAR protocol discovery, with the
interface command ´ip nbar protocol-discovery´, and then look at the
output with the ´show ip nbar protocol-discovery´ command.

HTH,

Naz

anybody43@hotmail.com

> We have about 40 Switches in our network which span 9 buildings with
> T1 connection between the buildings. Our Internet connections is very
> very very slow. An analysis done by a consulting company suggested
> that we add spanning-tree root value o all our core switches

As you seem to have concluded you need expert help
on site.

It is not clear if you have got it in this case or not.

Setting the STP 'root value' or more correctly Bridge Priority
may or may not change the topology. If it does change the
topology it may or may not be better for any particular traffic.

A half decent model is that to get between any two points
on the network traffic goes via the root. It is best if the root
is at the centre since if the root is at an edge some traffic
may have to traverse twice the diameter of the network
to get between two points. If the root is at the centre
then the max "distance" between two points is
only the network diameter.

Note that traffic does not necessarily go all the way to the root.
That is though the worst case.

Moz .8 "Save As" dialog slowness Stubby Firefox 4 06-29-2005 04:47 PM
PIX TCP slowness when routing & doing NAT bradya@gmail.com Cisco 1 06-22-2005 10:21 PM
EIGRP slowness and backup jmiklo Cisco 2 11-23-2004 07:32 AM
Netbios over IP slowness with 3600 Ciscos, IMAs and ATM The Prisoner Cisco 2 02-03-2004 03:00 PM
Problems With Frame Relay Slowness Phin Cisco 0 01-22-2004 03:47 AM

Advertisments