Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recommended mac photo editing/managing software w/IPTC?

Recommended mac photo editing/managing software w/IPTC?

stilllearning

I've spent a lot of time reading on the group and elsewhere, and have
yet to find a good source of information for the digital photo novice
regarding best practices for photo editing and managing (some for my
family photo scanning/archiving project).

I am an advanced computer user, but relatively new to photo editing. My
budget is flexible - my goal is just to have a photo/scanned photo
(will be spending a lot of time scanning old family photos) editing
software to clean up and edit the scans as needed, be able to tag files
with additional information so they can easily be searched (IPTC I
guess?), relatively easy to learn, and also somewhat flexible in term
of future editing of the photos (which may be done on a PC). Work will
be done on a new Intel Mac, and I have ample storage space available.
Final output will be both printed books as well as DVDs for the
family/friends (with audio tracks to provide commentary).

What I am wondering is:
1. When scanning in these images, do I use whatever software that comes
with the scanner to simply get as close a reproduction as possible,
then move quickly on to a separate software package for
editing/cleaning up?
2. Any recommendations on software that allows me to easily manage the
pictures and tag them? I've read a bit about iView, Portfolio and
Aperture but am not clear what is best for a non-professional but
advanced computer user, or if some other package is. I know the Mac pro
apps will be available in March so am willing to wait if that seems
logical.
3. Recommendation on software for editing. Again, this will largely be
for very old photos scanned most likely into tiff format, and also for
digital photos. Preferred something that is easy to use (not being a
pro, I can't imagine I will get extremely deep into editing).
4. Are there any other good sources of "best practices" regarding how
to title, edit, save, etc, photos for large family projects? It would
be great to have apps with easy interfaces so this project doesn't
become overwhelming!
This project is so large I really fear going down the wrong path and
doing work that needs to be redone later on...

Thanks so much in advance - greatly appreciated!

Shawn Hirn

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
"stilllearning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've spent a lot of time reading on the group and elsewhere, and have
> yet to find a good source of information for the digital photo novice
> regarding best practices for photo editing and managing (some for my
> family photo scanning/archiving project).
>
> I am an advanced computer user, but relatively new to photo editing. My
> budget is flexible - my goal is just to have a photo/scanned photo
> (will be spending a lot of time scanning old family photos) editing
> software to clean up and edit the scans as needed, be able to tag files
> with additional information so they can easily be searched (IPTC I
> guess?), relatively easy to learn, and also somewhat flexible in term
> of future editing of the photos (which may be done on a PC). Work will
> be done on a new Intel Mac, and I have ample storage space available.
> Final output will be both printed books as well as DVDs for the
> family/friends (with audio tracks to provide commentary).
>
> What I am wondering is:
> 1. When scanning in these images, do I use whatever software that comes
> with the scanner to simply get as close a reproduction as possible,
> then move quickly on to a separate software package for
> editing/cleaning up?
> 2. Any recommendations on software that allows me to easily manage the
> pictures and tag them? I've read a bit about iView, Portfolio and
> Aperture but am not clear what is best for a non-professional but
> advanced computer user, or if some other package is. I know the Mac pro
> apps will be available in March so am willing to wait if that seems
> logical.
> 3. Recommendation on software for editing. Again, this will largely be
> for very old photos scanned most likely into tiff format, and also for
> digital photos. Preferred something that is easy to use (not being a
> pro, I can't imagine I will get extremely deep into editing).
> 4. Are there any other good sources of "best practices" regarding how
> to title, edit, save, etc, photos for large family projects? It would
> be great to have apps with easy interfaces so this project doesn't
> become overwhelming!
> This project is so large I really fear going down the wrong path and
> doing work that needs to be redone later on...
>
> Thanks so much in advance - greatly appreciated!

Why not try iPhoto 6 if you're a Mac user?

John McWilliams

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> "stilllearning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I've spent a lot of time reading on the group and elsewhere, and have
>>yet to find a good source of information for the digital photo novice
>>regarding best practices for photo editing and managing (some for my
>>family photo scanning/archiving project).
>>
>>I am an advanced computer user, but relatively new to photo editing. My
>>budget is flexible - my goal is just to have a photo/scanned photo
>>(will be spending a lot of time scanning old family photos) editing
>>software to clean up and edit the scans as needed, be able to tag files
>>with additional information so they can easily be searched (IPTC I
>>guess?), relatively easy to learn, and also somewhat flexible in term
>>of future editing of the photos (which may be done on a PC). Work will
>>be done on a new Intel Mac, and I have ample storage space available.
>>Final output will be both printed books as well as DVDs for the
>>family/friends (with audio tracks to provide commentary).

<< Snipped bits out >>

> Why not try iPhoto 6 if you're a Mac user?

Photoshop Elements comes to mind as well, and is always a plus
if/when/as you want to move up to Photoshop.

However, I think I'd concentrate on the scanner and software available
for the scanning process..... about which I know precious little, but
why not post your scanner info, so that someone who knows can help more
specifically?

--
John McWilliams

stilllearning

I have been using iPhoto in the past, but didn't think it allowed me to
tag photos with information that would stay with the photo if
transferred to a different machine, or PC (maybe I have that wrong, but
I didn't think it supported IPTC). I am hoping to keep whatever work I
do flexible enough to share with others to take over pieces on a PC or
another Mac. Perhaps iPhoto 6 is fine for this, however?

The scanner is a Epson 10000XL (large format).

John McWilliams

stilllearning wrote:
> I have been using iPhoto in the past, but didn't think it allowed me to
> tag photos with information that would stay with the photo if
> transferred to a different machine, or PC (maybe I have that wrong, but
> I didn't think it supported IPTC). I am hoping to keep whatever work I
> do flexible enough to share with others to take over pieces on a PC or
> another Mac. Perhaps iPhoto 6 is fine for this, however?
>
> The scanner is a Epson 10000XL (large format).

What came with it? ie. do you have digital ice?

As to iPhoto, I don't have version 6. V 5 lets you put in ratings and
comments, but I didn't see IPTC entries, but I didn't look hard, and I
don't use iPhoto a lot.

--
John Mcwilliams

stilllearning

The Epson didn't come with Digital ICE - only with scanning software,
Adobe Elements 2.0, and Monaco software.

bmoag

Despite Apple tv ads to the contrary regardless of what CPU is in the box
Apple productivity software choices are very limited compared to Windows
packages.
There is nothing that is not Mac-centric you can do on a Mac that you cannot
do on a Windows machine and much that you can do easily on Windows machines
that no comparable software exists for on the Mac: like run a business.
Software will be even more limited for the new Mac/Intel as the new x86
MacOS is not backwardly compatible with MacLinux which was not backwardly
compatible with prior MacOS iterations. Kludges don't count.
The contempt of Apple for its user base and the willingness of the user base
to be abused is the most amazing aspect of the Apple computer saga.
I would strongly recommend you invest in Adobe Photoshop and learn how to
use it as the best all round solution for the Mac platform.
However you will have to wait until Adobe actually releases a version of
Photoshop that is assured to be compatible with the new MacIntel platform.
Not to mention printer and scanner drivers, color calibration
hardware/software etc.
Apple has announced its clone of Photoshop, which presumably will be
compatible with the new OS, but if you are not familiar with digital image
processing this is not likely a good choice.
Again there is that pesky problem of drivers for the peripherals you
already have for which no new Mactel vcrsions may become available even if
you buy the MacPhotoshop clone.
If you have not already succumbed to the siren lure of the Mactel box
perhaps it is not too late to make a more rational choice of computer
platforms: there will be more software choices that may be more appealing to
you.

stilllearning

so, to summarize: adobe photoshop.

Neil Ellwood

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:09:04 +0000, bmoag wrote:

> Despite Apple tv ads to the contrary regardless of what CPU is in the box
> Apple productivity software choices are very limited compared to Windows
> packages.
> There is nothing that is not Mac-centric you can do on a Mac that you cannot
> do on a Windows machine and much that you can do easily on Windows machines
> that no comparable software exists for on the Mac: like run a business.
> Software will be even more limited for the new Mac/Intel as the new x86
> MacOS is not backwardly compatible with MacLinux which was not backwardly
> compatible with prior MacOS iterations. Kludges don't count.
> The contempt of Apple for its user base and the willingness of the user base
> to be abused is the most amazing aspect of the Apple computer saga.
> I would strongly recommend you invest in Adobe Photoshop and learn how to
> use it as the best all round solution for the Mac platform.
> However you will have to wait until Adobe actually releases a version of
> Photoshop that is assured to be compatible with the new MacIntel platform.
> Not to mention printer and scanner drivers, color calibration
> hardware/software etc.
> Apple has announced its clone of Photoshop, which presumably will be
> compatible with the new OS, but if you are not familiar with digital image
> processing this is not likely a good choice.
> Again there is that pesky problem of drivers for the peripherals you
> already have for which no new Mactel vcrsions may become available even if
> you buy the MacPhotoshop clone.
> If you have not already succumbed to the siren lure of the Mactel box
> perhaps it is not too late to make a more rational choice of computer
> platforms: there will be more software choices that may be more appealing to
> you.

Try running win 3.1 progs on win xp.
--
Neil
Delete l to reply

rafe b

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:15:40 +0000 (UTC), Neil Ellwood
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Try running win 3.1 progs on win xp.

Is there a problem? Not to my knowledge.

They can't take full advantage of XP/NT
features, but they still work fine.

PFE, for example, or MathCad.

The ones that won't work are the ones