Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Samsung dSLR using Pentax lenses announced in the States

New Samsung dSLR using Pentax lenses announced in the States

wayne

Hi all,

Samsung have announced there first dSLR, the GX-1S. Looks interesting
but not earth-shattering, but is a sign of their intentions in the
market. Article below:
<http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=411>

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Assistant Director, International Digital Art Award
Writer and educator in graphic design, photography, digital technology
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

bmoag

A Pentax by any other name . . .
Do you suppose Samsung manufactures the Pentax itself?
Samsung has manufactured cameras for other brand names in the past, for
example my now ancient Rollei Prego P&S.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Samsung have announced there first dSLR, the GX-1S. Looks interesting
> but not earth-shattering, but is a sign of their intentions in the
> market. Article below:

It's spelled "their," but either way - if it says Samsung on the label
you know it's gotta suck.

MarkČ

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Samsung have announced there first dSLR, the GX-1S. Looks interesting
>> but not earth-shattering, but is a sign of their intentions in the
>> market. Article below:

> It's spelled "their," but either way - if it says Samsung on the label
> you know it's gotta suck.

I don't know about that specific camera (or Samsung cameras in general), but
I do believe that Samsung is going to be a major electronics powerhouse that
will rival Sony and other giants in the near future.

rafe b

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:16:40 -0800, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>I don't know about that specific camera (or Samsung cameras in general), but
>I do believe that Samsung is going to be a major electronics powerhouse that
>will rival Sony and other giants in the near future.

They already are. I've dealt with them as
clients in my current employment and the
job prior.

Samsung is second only to Intel in global
revenues from semiconductor production.

They are the world's leading supplier of
DRAM chips.

And of course, Samsung makes a lot more
than just semiconductors.

Eg., an article in EE Times on 1/19/06
reveals how Samsung has just slipped
to being the #2 global supplier of large
TFT LCDs. (Another South Korean
company beat them for the top slot.)

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

MarkČ

rafe b wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:16:40 -0800, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>

>> I don't know about that specific camera (or Samsung cameras in
>> general), but I do believe that Samsung is going to be a major
>> electronics powerhouse that will rival Sony and other giants in the
>> near future.

> They already are. I've dealt with them as
> clients in my current employment and the
> job prior.
>
> Samsung is second only to Intel in global
> revenues from semiconductor production.
>
> They are the world's leading supplier of
> DRAM chips.
>
> And of course, Samsung makes a lot more
> than just semiconductors.
>
> Eg., an article in EE Times on 1/19/06
> reveals how Samsung has just slipped
> to being the #2 global supplier of large
> TFT LCDs. (Another South Korean
> company beat them for the top slot.)

I understand the aspects you mention.
What I'm referring to are the areas of the electronics market that still
come to people's mind...first...in the names of Sony, and other brands.
-Areas such as Television, video, music, etc.
Admittedly, I'm thinking rather ethnocentrically, as I'm talking about the
US market.
Here in the US, while people may buy Samsung cell phones and memory chips,
the Samsung name hasn't become a major marketing factor, and isn't the first
(or even second or third) name people think of when they go hunting for
their next TV, stereo, video camera, etc.

This last part is what I think is going to change.
I don't think it will be long before people begin actively looking for the
Samsung brand.

ASAAR

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:58:05 -0800, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> Here in the US, while people may buy Samsung cell phones and memory
> chips, the Samsung name hasn't become a major marketing factor, and
> isn't the first (or even second or third) name people think of when they
> go hunting for their next TV, stereo, video camera, etc.
>
> This last part is what I think is going to change.
> I don't think it will be long before people begin actively looking for the
> Samsung brand.

Just going by this newsgroup, many people are already looking for
the Samsung brand when it comes to selecting LCD monitors.

wayne

Samsung is a strong company and not one to be underestimated. That they
have entered the dSLR market with an also ran camera (by the looks of
it) is not a real issue, the fact that they have entered and will
likely bring there manufacturing skill to bear is an issue.

Samsung is already one of the preferred choices by many people for LCD
monitors and many other things. There TVs are strong too in many
markets.

So with Minolta gone, Sony not yet entered the dSLR market (with
Minolta intellectual property) and Pentax a co-player with Samsung,
life looks interesting.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Assistant Director, International Digital Art Award
Writer and educator in graphic design, photography, digital technology
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/
(E-Mail Removed)

Skip M

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:230120061857405098%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> wayne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Samsung have announced there first dSLR, the GX-1S. Looks interesting
>> but not earth-shattering, but is a sign of their intentions in the
>> market. Article below:

> It's spelled "their," but either way - if it says Samsung on the label
> you know it's gotta suck.

Randall, what is it with you and any brand but Canon? Samsung makes some
pretty good stuff, but in this case, if it's a relabeled Pentax, why would
it be worse than the Pentax branded camera, just because it says, "Samsung?"

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Randall Ainsworth

In article <cIpBf.12477$sA3.11076@fed1read02>, Skip M
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Randall, what is it with you and any brand but Canon? Samsung makes some
> pretty good stuff, but in this case, if it's a relabeled Pentax, why would
> it be worse than the Pentax branded camera, just because it says, "Samsung?"

Where did I say that Canon was the only brand to buy?

And I've yet to see anything with the Samsung brand that I would spend
my money on. I put them in the same class as Goldstar.