Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Miniature camera definition

Miniature camera definition

James Silverton

Hello, All!

A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of
"miniature camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as
manufacturers stop making film cameras. I wonder what "miniature
camera" means to people now? For myself, I tend to think of it
as something I can put in a shirt pocket.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

ah2

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, All!
>
> A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of "miniature
> camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as manufacturers stop
> making film cameras. I wonder what "miniature camera" means to people now?
> For myself, I tend to think of it as something I can put in a shirt
> pocket.

Whatever! Who cares? You can look at the freeking thing and decide for
yourself.

Dave Cohen

"ah2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello, All!
>>
>> A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of
>> "miniature camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as
>> manufacturers stop making film cameras. I wonder what "miniature camera"
>> means to people now? For myself, I tend to think of it as something I can
>> put in a shirt pocket.

> Whatever! Who cares? You can look at the freeking thing and decide for
> yourself.

That's not always true, some of us are insecure and need to be reassured.
Something to do with our Mommies.
Dave Cohen

Peter Irwin

James Silverton <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of
> "miniature camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as
> manufacturers stop making film cameras. I wonder what "miniature
> camera" means to people now? For myself, I tend to think of it
> as something I can put in a shirt pocket.

The standard definition was always a negative size of six
square inches or less. This includes 6x6 cm but excludes
6x9cm. It never had much to do with the physical size of the
camera. A 9x12 cm KW Patent Etui when folded is smaller
than many miniature cameras.

You can use words anyway you like, but I don't think
there is any need to revise the old Royal Photographic
Society definition. Six square inches is as good a
dividing line as any. Anything you come up with
will be equally arbitrary.

Peter.

CeeBee

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.net> wrote in
rec.photo.digital:

> For myself, I tend to think of it
> as something I can put in a shirt pocket.

I think it is a miniature camera if I can put it in my left nostril without
accidentally pressing the shutter when I sneeze.

--
CeeBee

*** The Cookie Has Spoken ***

wilt

>>A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of
"miniature camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as
manufacturers stop making film cameras.<<

'Miniature' referred to 35mm, 'subminiature' referred to 16mm. We also
had 'half frame' for photos which divided 35mm frame in half (e.g.
Olympus Pen). The term 'miniature' for format became a pointless term
by the 60's. Now using the term 'miniature' for camera pocketability
seems pointless, and we have terms like APS-C and 4/3 format to refer
to the format size.

Joseph Meehan

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of
> "miniature camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as
> manufacturers stop making film cameras. I wonder what "miniature
> camera" means to people now? For myself, I tend to think of it
> as something I can put in a shirt pocket.
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland, USA

I would say that sometime around the late '70's the term miniature was
applied to 16 mm and smaller. Now like then there is no "official" meaning.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Paul Rubin

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I would say that sometime around the late '70's the term miniature was
> applied to 16 mm and smaller. Now like then there is no "official" meaning.

I always had heard miniature was 35mm. Anything smaller was
"subminiature". Larger than miniature was "medium format", and larger
than that is "large format".

Joseph Meehan

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> I would say that sometime around the late '70's the term
>> miniature was applied to 16 mm and smaller. Now like then there is
>> no "official" meaning.

> I always had heard miniature was 35mm. Anything smaller was
> "subminiature". Larger than miniature was "medium format", and larger
> than that is "large format".

Back in the '50's I also heard that 35 was miniature. When I first
entered photography seriously there was not a 35mm in the studio, in fact
there was not a 2 in the studio. 4X5 was small. 20x24 was large and 8X10
and 5x7 were medium. We got our first 2 in the early 60's. C330 as I
recall.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Ron Hunter

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of
> "miniature camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as
> manufacturers stop making film cameras. I wonder what "miniature camera"
> means to people now? For myself, I tend to think of it as something I
> can put in a shirt pocket.
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland, USA

I suppose one of those 'keychain cameras' would still qualify.