Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > THE FALL OF THE 20D !!!

THE FALL OF THE 20D !!!

Annika1980

>On your bird photos, something I learned from Art Morris:
>Make sure the bird is turned at least slightly toward
>you for more effective images. Your second image, the bird
>is heading away from you, so you just see the bird's back and
>back of its head.

Here's one that might be more to your liking:

http://www.pbase.com/image/55167158

Annika1980 wrote:
>>On your bird photos, something I learned from Art Morris:
>>Make sure the bird is turned at least slightly toward
>>you for more effective images.

> That's good advice, Roger, but sometimes difficult to accomplish in the
> field, especially when there are lots of other people around. The big
> birds that I'm after (eagles & cranes) don't like people so it seems
> they fly away from you a lot more than toward you. Even when they get
> spooked by something else their instincts take them away from where the
> people are.
> I've scouted out a few areas where there are no people due to all the
> "NO TRESPASSING" signs posted there, so I may use some of those in the
> future assuming I wanna risk getting shot. I've also considered other
> methods to make the birds fly toward me. Have you had any experience
> with remote explosives?

Actually, if there are a lot of people, and the birds shy away
from people, then just position yourself away from people.
That worked well for me one time at Bosque. A famous professional
photographer was there and a bunch of groupies were surrounding
him (he wasn't trying to attract them). The cranes were taking
off avoiding the crowd. The crowd would move to the
flight path of the cranes, so the cranes would shift. I just
kept away from the crowd and the cranes kept coming toward me.

When going after raptors, it helps to bring along a small
pet (cat or dog). They just stare at the pet and ignore
the photographers. Just don't get too far from the pet!

No I have no explosives experience.

>>Are you doing these handheld, or do you have a Wimberly head yet?
>>My first bird photo trip I was using a pan head and everyone said
>>I need a wimberly. They were right.

> Yeah, I do all my "birds in flight" shots handheld. I don't even own a
> ballhead. I'd love to have a Wimberly (either the big one or the
> smaller Sidekick model), but alas, I don't have your budget. I saw a
> girl using a cheapo ($100) Manfrotto 322RC2 pistol-grip head that made
> it very easy to track the birds in flight, so I might get one of these.

Well, you've done OK getting equipment. It just takes time
to acquire this stuff unless you are really rich.
I have the sidekick and the full wimberly. The sidekick
works well with my 300 f/4 + TCs.

> I'm assuming you use the big Wimberly head with your 500 f/4L? That
> must be a sweet combo!

Yes, The sidekick is too small for the 500 (it can be used but
is not good enough in my opinion). I do use the big wimberly
for the 500. You need a good carbon fiber tripod to go with
it, so the tripod +wimberly +plates is about $1400.
Ultimately, you need the equipment to get the performance.
I tried to go cheaper, but found it just wasn't good enough,
so I had to get the equipment if I wanted the shots. Once
you have the right equipment, you no longer have to fight it,
so you can just have fun taking pictures.

> Now that the cranes are peaking around here, howz about loaning it to
> me for a few weeks? I promise I won't drop it.
> Ha ha.

Well, you could always rent one . If we are ever in the field
together, you can put your 20D on my 500 with the wimberly
to test it out.
Roger

Annika1980 wrote:

>>On your bird photos, something I learned from Art Morris:
>>Make sure the bird is turned at least slightly toward
>>you for more effective images. Your second image, the bird
>>is heading away from you, so you just see the bird's back and
>>back of its head.

> Here's one that might be more to your liking:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/55167158

Yes, better; they are coming toward you. A few seconds later
weren't they above the trees, so less clutter in the shot?
The sun angle looks awfully high. Sunrise/sunset would
have better lighting. Then the phase angle, the angle from
the sun to the subject to the camera, is greater than
90 degrees, so the birds are backlit--very tough photography.
The sun is to your left. Can you get more to the left?
Maybe some camo would help, like a camo poncho over
you and the lens. Then the trick is to wait
for something interesting to happen, like an in-flight
fight, or interesting formation.

So not only is your position in the flight path important,
but so is the position of the sun, both height and azimuth.

Roger

Daniel Silevitch

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:58:04 -0800, Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When going after raptors, it helps to bring along a small
> pet (cat or dog). They just stare at the pet and ignore
> the photographers. Just don't get too far from the pet!

Hah. The family living next door to my parents had a scare a few years
back because a hawk decided to use their backyard as a dining room (lots
of rat parts appearing on a regular basis), and they had a YappyDog that
was not too much bigger than what the hawk would think of as dinner. No
harm done, but much stomach acid generated.

Also speaking of raptors, I saw a large hawk of some sort on my way to
work this morning. Very unusual for my area of Chicago; it was just
sitting in a tree enjoying the morning. I grabbed a bunch of shots,
including one of the hawk staring right at me, clearly thinking "who's
that idiot pointing a camera at me?"

-dms

Annika1980

> http://www.pbase.com/image/55167158

>Yes, better; they are coming toward you. A few seconds later
>weren't they above the trees, so less clutter in the shot?
>The sun angle looks awfully high. Sunrise/sunset would
>have better lighting. Then the phase angle, the angle from
>the sun to the subject to the camera, is greater than
>90 degrees, so the birds are backlit--very tough photography.
>The sun is to your left. Can you get more to the left?

The sun was actually pretty low when I took that pic, only a short time
before sunset and an even shorter time before disappearing behind
clouds. Also, the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge is pretty strict about
where you can go (and where you can't).
Everyone must be on a small observation deck with a big tree in front
of us and more trees to the right and a building to the left.
IOW, it isn't a very well designed observation platform. Getting
closeup shots of the birds flying toward you is next to impossible.
Sometimes they will fly right overhead from behind the trees so those
shots are pretty uninteresting as well. They even built a nice new
covered platform right on the river to view the cranes and eagles.
Only prob is that they decided not to cut the trees in front of the
platform so the view is obstructed by the trees. At least until I get
my hands on a lightweight McCullough.

Annika1980 wrote:

> The sun was actually pretty low when I took that pic, only a short time
> before sunset and an even shorter time before disappearing behind
> clouds. Also, the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge is pretty strict about
> where you can go (and where you can't).
> Everyone must be on a small observation deck with a big tree in front
> of us and more trees to the right and a building to the left.
> IOW, it isn't a very well designed observation platform. Getting
> closeup shots of the birds flying toward you is next to impossible.
> Sometimes they will fly right overhead from behind the trees so those
> shots are pretty uninteresting as well. They even built a nice new
> covered platform right on the river to view the cranes and eagles.
> Only prob is that they decided not to cut the trees in front of the
> platform so the view is obstructed by the trees. At least until I get
> my hands on a lightweight McCullough.

OK, I understand. You might talk to the local superintendent
and see if they might change some policies. Whether you
can get a change really will depend on their openness and
their perceived impact on the birds.

I guess that is what makes Bosque so unique--many good
photo ops at close range. Of course, having longer
focal length helps too.

Roger

gpsman

Annika1980 wrote: <brevity snip>
> I've scouted out a few areas where there are no people due to all the
> "NO TRESPASSING" signs posted there, so I may use some of those in the
> future assuming I wanna risk getting shot.

-----
'Tis always easier and more expedient to receive forgiveness rather
than permission.
-----

- gpsman

Annika1980

>'Tis always easier and more expedient to receive forgiveness rather
>than permission.

Around these parts, if you trespass on some good old boy's land, there
won't be much time to be asking forgiveness.
You'll be too busy running and ducking the bullets.
Ever see "Deliverance?"
When you hear the banjo music ..... run!