Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Anyone measure the coverage of sub-35mm lenses?

Anyone measure the coverage of sub-35mm lenses?

Rich

The DSLR lenses designed for 1.5-1.6 sensors or the Olympus 2x lenses.
How much coverage do they really provide? Also, it says you can't
use them on FF DSLRs, owing to coverage, but is that the only thing
preventing
them from being used, or could they still function, albeit with a
circular vignetting
of the sensor area?
-Rich

Paul Rubin

"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> The DSLR lenses designed for 1.5-1.6 sensors or the Olympus 2x lenses.
> How much coverage do they really provide?

They vary.

> Also, it says you can't use them on FF DSLRs, owing to coverage, but
> is that the only thing preventing them from being used, or could
> they still function, albeit with a circular vignetting of the sensor
> area?

I saw a review of the Nikon 12-24mm which indicates that it covers the
full 35mm frame when zoomed to above 16mm or so.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zo...tml#AFS12-24DX
http://www.naturfotograf.com/AFS12-24DX_rev00.html

Mark Roberts

"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The DSLR lenses designed for 1.5-1.6 sensors or the Olympus 2x lenses.
>How much coverage do they really provide? Also, it says you can't
>use them on FF DSLRs, owing to coverage, but is that the only thing
>preventing them from being used, or could they still function, albeit
>with a circular vignetting of the sensor area?

This will vary a lot from lens to lens. Telephotos are likely to fare
better than wide angle lenses. (Canon 1D users will also want to know
how well small-image-circle lenses cover the 1.3 crop.)

I know people who have tested the Pentax DA 40/2.8 and found it to
provide complete coverage over the full frame of film (it's probably
just a refinement of the design of the original 40mm "pancake" lens).
There was some light fall-off in the corners when wide open, but not
more than many lenses that were designed for film.

The Pentax DA 16-45 covers full-frame down to around 24mm IIRC, and
vignettes progressively more as you approach 16mm.

Again, you're going to find a lot of variation when you look at
different lenses and different manufacturers so there isn't going to be
a single answer other than "try it and see".

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing