Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70s & Nikon AF-D lenses - Compatible?

Nikon D70s & Nikon AF-D lenses - Compatible?

Jeffrey Jones

In article <dTBAf.15868$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ken M
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What I see on the LCD
> screen on the back of the digital camera will be the portion actually making
> it's way to my digital photo, right?

The LCD simply displays the picture you took. (Until you take a picture
it shows nothing, unlike most non-SLRs.)

Andrew Koenig

"Ken M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsWjAf.11585$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> Can someone advise if lenses for a Nikon N-70 (AF-D) will fit and work on
> a Nikon D70s?

Yes, the D70s accepts all AF Nikkor lenses (D or not).

Rina

OK, My D50 accepts and works with my lenses from my ancient 2020, but what
I'm wondering is what does the "D" represent?

I'm questioning a 50 mm 1.8... should I replace it with a "D" version?

Rina

> Yes, the D70s accepts all AF Nikkor lenses (D or not).

Paul Rubin

"Rina" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> OK, My D50 accepts and works with my lenses from my ancient 2020, but what
> I'm wondering is what does the "D" represent?
>
> I'm questioning a 50 mm 1.8... should I replace it with a "D" version?

D means the lens communicates its focusing distance to the camera.
That helps the camera figure out flash exposure for certain types of
scenes. It's not that big a deal. If you're thinking of buying a
50/1.8 and you can buy the D version for a few dollars more than the
non-D, you may as well get the D. If you already have the non-D, I'd
say don't bother upgrading.

Rina

I hate to be so dense about this, but... I already own a non "D" version. I
hate using a flash, but there ate times when it's necessary... When I
purchase a Dedicated flash, probably will be the SB 600, will the non "D"
lens and the new flash work together.

Thanks
Rina

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Rina" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> OK, My D50 accepts and works with my lenses from my ancient 2020, but
>> what
>> I'm wondering is what does the "D" represent?
>>
>> I'm questioning a 50 mm 1.8... should I replace it with a "D" version?

> D means the lens communicates its focusing distance to the camera.
> That helps the camera figure out flash exposure for certain types of
> scenes.

> If you already have the non-D, I'd
> say don't bother upgrading.

Paul Rubin

"Rina" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I hate to be so dense about this, but... I already own a non "D"
> version. I hate using a flash, but there ate times when it's
> necessary... When I purchase a Dedicated flash, probably will be the
> SB 600, will the non "D" lens and the new flash work together.

The non-D lens will work ok. The D version will give more precise
flash exposure in certain situations. That is, the benefit is not
zero, but it is minor. It's worth taking into account when you buy a
new lens. It's probably not enough to justify the cost in money and
aggrevation of selling off a non-D lens you already have and then
buying a D version of the exact same lens.

Rina

Good... I guess I just added about $100 to my flash account.

Thanks