Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Major camera company quits photo business

Major camera company quits photo business

Bill Funk

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 06:46:51 +1000, "Jasen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> What's your preferred system?

>One that is similar but fairer and more regulated One where a
>corporation actually realises that by looking after the average worker by
>properly rewarding hard work, they can do better in the productivity stakes.
>I work for a mob of doctors who run a huge pathology company that brings in
>about a billion dollars in revenue each year. The pay their workers the
>bare minimum and the workers know it. The workers are miffed and they do
>only what is required or less much of the time. I know first hand that
>rewards pay dividends in business.
>Too many companies in this and other western countries cut costs by
>employing workers in third world countries such as China and India. This
>has obvious effects. Capitolism in this form backfires eventually. Our
>Prime Minister wants to compete on the world stage with the likes of these
>countries. How can you compete with a worker in another country who gets a
>few dollars a week compared to our many hundreds of dollars paid to western
>workers......you can't. So we all import, import, import! That ****s up
>the trade deficit even more because we just HAVE to have our technology and
>cheap food. That's the issue with free trade and globalisation in short.
>Unfortunately, it isn't a level playing field for you have totally different
>working conditions and wages in poorer countries being taken advantage of by
>corporations.
>Obviously there is more to it than this, but the bottom line of anything
>these days is money and greed. Capitolism would be fair if people who
>participated where actually decent human beings with a conscience..........a
>conscience and the corporate world do not mix well it seems, and this is
>only the tip of the iceberg.
>Communism is not acceptable either......maybe someplace inbetween?

That seems less like a system than Utopia.
How could such a system be implemented without very strict and heavy
governmental control of the businesses?

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

John McWilliams

Jasen wrote:

> I'll drink to that. Capitolism. Where the rich get richer and the poor and
> middle classes, singles and families just get butt****ed!

Well, if you're in luck! There are but 51 Capitols in the USA, probably
less than 1% of the land. Europe is denser in terms of Capitols per acre.

--
John McWilliams

Tesco News

"Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> screjob ???
>

> :O)
>
> --
> Paul (Had a '28 Ford, had payments on that)
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

"England" - didn't know it had a government, I always thought it was part
of the UK.

Roy G

Tesco News

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> After all, what American company would "offshore" jobs
> to India or China if the labor there cost as much as in Kalifornia?

Exactly the point I was trying to make. If the USA keeps screwing the
poorer countries, ALL the jobs in the USA will move there, because the
labour is cheap.

It is fairly simple logic.

Roy G

editor@netpath.net

Tesco News wrote:
>Exactly the point I was trying to make. If the USA keeps screwing the
>poorer countries, ALL the jobs in the USA will move there, because the
>labour is cheap.

Get out of denial. China is a nuclear power and has a positive
balance of trade and is a net creditor nation. It isn't Burkina Faso.
If its leaders have a cheap-labor policy, it's because they WANT it -
not because Washington forced it on them!

Jasen

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Tesco News wrote:
>>Exactly the point I was trying to make. If the USA keeps screwing the
>>poorer countries, ALL the jobs in the USA will move there, because the
>>labour is cheap.

> Get out of denial. China is a nuclear power and has a positive
> balance of trade and is a net creditor nation. It isn't Burkina Faso.
> If its leaders have a cheap-labor policy, it's because they WANT it -
> not because Washington forced it on them!
>
> No $4 to park! No $6 admission! http://www.INTERNET-GUN-SHOW.com

I'm pretty sure the people don't want it.......only the government and
business do.

Paul Heslop

Tesco News wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > screjob ???
> >

> > :O)
> >
> > --
> > Paul (Had a '28 Ford, had payments on that)
> > Stop and Look
> > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

> "England" - didn't know it had a government, I always thought it was part
> of the UK.
>
> Roy G

yup, but I live in England, not Scotland, Ireland, or Wales. I would
like to see an end to the idea of the British Isles as long as present
government gets scots (I should say mps who work in Scotland, not
necessarily Scottish people at all) to vote for its policies when
they don't affect Scotland.

--

Jasen wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Tesco News wrote:
> >>Exactly the point I was trying to make. If the USA keeps screwing the
> >>poorer countries, ALL the jobs in the USA will move there, because the
> >>labour is cheap.

> > Get out of denial. China is a nuclear power and has a positive
> > balance of trade and is a net creditor nation. It isn't Burkina Faso.
> > If its leaders have a cheap-labor policy, it's because they WANT it -
> > not because Washington forced it on them!
> >
> > No $4 to park! No $6 admission! http://www.INTERNET-GUN-SHOW.com
> >

> I'm pretty sure the people don't want it.......only the government and
> business do.

and in a country where arguing with government can result in a bullet
in the head... well I guess those wage slaves will always be so.

--
Paul (Had a '28 Ford, had payments on that)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

editor@netpath.net

Jasen quoted Tesco News:
>>Exactly the point I was trying to make. If the USA keeps screwing the
>>poorer countries, ALL the jobs in the USA will move there, because the
>>labour is cheap.

quoted me:
> Get out of denial. China is a nuclear power and has a positive
> balance of trade and is a net creditor nation. It isn't Burkina Faso.
> If its leaders have a cheap-labor policy, it's because they WANT it -
> not because Washington forced it on them!

and replied:
>>>I'm pretty sure the people don't want it.......only the government and
>>>business do.

Face reality. The average Chinese would much rather have a good
chance at a job for the American export trade paying less than his
long-lost cousin in Los Angeles makes flipping burgers than ZERO chance
at ZERO jobs for the American export market if labor in China cost as
much as labor in Los Angeles.

No $6 admission! http://www.INTERNET-GUN-SHOW.com

Jasen

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Jasen quoted Tesco News:
>>>Exactly the point I was trying to make. If the USA keeps screwing the
>>>poorer countries, ALL the jobs in the USA will move there, because the
>>>labour is cheap.

> quoted me:
>> Get out of denial. China is a nuclear power and has a positive
>> balance of trade and is a net creditor nation. It isn't Burkina Faso.
>> If its leaders have a cheap-labor policy, it's because they WANT it -
>> not because Washington forced it on them!

> and replied:

> Face reality. The average Chinese would much rather have a good
> chance at a job for the American export trade paying less than his
> long-lost cousin in Los Angeles makes flipping burgers than ZERO chance
> at ZERO jobs for the American export market if labor in China cost as
> much as labor in Los Angeles.

Have you spoken to any Chinese recently. I work with 5 of them and trust me,
they don't want it and wouldn't go back if there were no jobs for them back
there for the same as Americans. I think you have no idea what life is like
for the poor, or in fact anyone in China under a communist regime. Speak
when you either have the experience, or know those who have.