Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > KM to cease camera production

KM to cease camera production

Bolshoy Huy

http://konicaminolta.com/releases/2006/0119_03_01.html

I predicted this would happen when they shut down shop in Canada.
Once Canada goes, so is the U.S. next to follow I said; and thus we
have
the latest sad news. I considered getting the KM A200, as for those
who bought into it, or their DSLR, you got the shaft.

Bob Harrington

"Bolshoy Huy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> http://konicaminolta.com/releases/2006/0119_03_01.html
>
> I predicted this would happen when they shut down shop in Canada.
> Once Canada goes, so is the U.S. next to follow I said; and thus we
> have
> the latest sad news. I considered getting the KM A200, as for those
> who bought into it, or their DSLR, you got the shaft.

My 7D still works flawlessly, Sony will repair it should that ever change.

I still didn't have to buy a whole new bag full of lenses when I added the
7D to my older Maxxums 14 months ago.

And all those lenses are now image stabilized.

If that's the worst shaft I ever get, I'm quite happy.

Still very sorry to see Minolta leave the bidnizz, though...

Bob ^,,^

Paul Heslop

Bolshoy Huy wrote:

> http://konicaminolta.com/releases/2006/0119_03_01.html
>
> I predicted this would happen when they shut down shop in Canada.
> Once Canada goes, so is the U.S. next to follow I said; and thus we
> have
> the latest sad news. I considered getting the KM A200, as for those
> who bought into it, or their DSLR, you got the shaft.

Only it's not exactly news anymore
--
Paul (Had a '28 Ford, had payments on that)
Stop and Look

Jasen

"Bolshoy Huy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> http://konicaminolta.com/releases/2006/0119_03_01.html
>
> I predicted this would happen when they shut down shop in Canada.
> Once Canada goes, so is the U.S. next to follow I said; and thus we
> have
> the latest sad news. I considered getting the KM A200, as for those
> who bought into it, or their DSLR, you got the shaft.

Sort of shafted, but not really. Service is still in place, just under
Sony's wing. The new range of DSLRs will probably be mostly akin to KM in
design I predict as the team that developed the 7D will be brought across.
Also, the lenses are probably going to change for the worse either, maybe
even get Carl Zeiss glass. Sony wouldn't buy into it if it was to lose
money.

Jasen

"Jasen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43d2106d$0$4388$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bolshoy Huy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> http://konicaminolta.com/releases/2006/0119_03_01.html
>>
>> I predicted this would happen when they shut down shop in Canada.
>> Once Canada goes, so is the U.S. next to follow I said; and thus we
>> have
>> the latest sad news. I considered getting the KM A200, as for those
>> who bought into it, or their DSLR, you got the shaft.
>>

> Sort of shafted, but not really. Service is still in place, just under
> Sony's wing. The new range of DSLRs will probably be mostly akin to KM in
> design I predict as the team that developed the 7D will be brought across.
> Also, the lenses are probably going to change for the worse either, maybe
> even get Carl Zeiss glass. Sony wouldn't buy into it if it was to lose
> money.

typo - Lenses AREN'T going to get worse....

Bolshoy Huy

"My 7D still works flawlessly, Sony will repair it should that ever
change."

why did you choose to go with the 6mp KM?
was it cheaper and better than Nikon or Canon?

ASAAR

On 23 Jan 2006 08:10:45 -0800, Bolshoy Huy the troll trilled:

>> "My 7D still works flawlessly, Sony will repair it should that ever
>> change."

> why did you choose to go with the 6mp KM?
> was it cheaper and better than Nikon or Canon?

An appropriate question might be "Why do you want to know?"
Especially since Bob's message gave several good reasons, and they
were visible without having to scroll his reply. Do you think he
had more compelling reasons than already owning a "bag full" of
Minolta lenses, and having them suddenly operate as if they were
image stabilized? If someone were to give me comparable lenses
today, I'd probably buy a 7D tomorrow, even though I tend to prefer
Nikon's products.

Bob Harrington

"Bolshoy Huy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> "My 7D still works flawlessly, Sony will repair it should that ever
> change."
>
> why did you choose to go with the 6mp KM?
> was it cheaper and better than Nikon or Canon?

My primary reason was the bag full of Maxxum lenses I already owned, and the
pleasant experience I've enjoyed over the last two decades of using Minolta
SLRs.

From results I've seen from Canon and Nikon DSLRs, They are also entirely
decent cameras.

Bob ^,,^