Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Unintentional B&W tint ...

Unintentional B&W tint ...

PcB

.... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour settings. I
am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.

Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image

http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg

and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul ============}
o o

// Live fast, die old //
Gallery at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/NewGallery2.htm

Scott W

PcB wrote:
> ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
> Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
> seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
> for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour settings. I
> am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
> something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.
>
> Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image
>
> http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
>

> and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
> display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Since that is a gray scale image there is no way for it to have a tint,
there is simply no color information in it at all.

Scott

PcB

"Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> PcB wrote:
>> ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
>> Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
>> seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
>> for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour
>> settings. I
>> am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
>> something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.
>>
>> Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image
>>
>> http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
>>

>> and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
>> display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Paul

> Since that is a gray scale image there is no way for it to have a tint,
> there is simply no color information in it at all.
>
> Scott

Hi Scott,

Yeah, I know, but I wanted to be sure. It would be an expensive mistake
otherwise ....

Cheers,
Paul

--

PcB wrote:
> "Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > PcB wrote:
> >> ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
> >> Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
> >> seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
> >> for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour
> >> settings. I
> >> am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
> >> something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.
> >>
> >> Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image
> >>
> >> http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
> >>

> >> and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
> >> display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Paul

> > Since that is a gray scale image there is no way for it to have a tint,
> > there is simply no color information in it at all.
> >
> > Scott
> >

> Hi Scott,
>
> Yeah, I know, but I wanted to be sure. It would be an expensive mistake
> otherwise ....
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Many monitors also allow you to adjust the color temp of them, I had
one that looked very blue to my eye until I set adjusted it.

Scott

tomtom

Are you saying that the image has a blue cast when you print it?

If so, although there is no colour information in the picture many
printers, particularly Epsons will print mono pictures with a colour
cast - sometimes blue, often magenta.

The answer is not in your editing software but in the printer driver.
If you select black ink only the picture will print without a colour
cast, but you may lose some detail.

The alternative is to print with the colour inks but adjust the colours
in the printer driver - try reducing the cyan by 5% for starters - you
should notice a difference. You will probably need to experiment with
different settings to get rid of the cast.

To avoid wasting a lot of paper and ink print test strips. Copy a one
inch strip of your image to a new file and print at the top of the
page. Cut each strip off and put the paper back in until it is too
small to use again.

Bigguy

The colour dropper / sampler tool will give th RGB value - equal RGB levels
= neutral grey.

Guy

PcB wrote:
> ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
> Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am
> not seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have
> messed around for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma
> and colour settings. I am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes,
> the new monitor or I missed something in Elements and it really does
> have a blue tint.
> Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the
> image
> http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
>

> and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
> display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

bob crownfield

PcB wrote:
> ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
> Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
> seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
> for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour settings. I
> am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
> something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.
>
> Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image
>
> http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg

look at the gray scale in
http://www.vircen.com/rpd/

if it does not look gray,
then your monitor is off.

your image looks perfectly gray.

> and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
> display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Tesco News

"PcB" <pcbradley@no_spam_lineone.net> wrote in message
news:9DcAf.2200$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
> Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
> seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
> for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour settings.
> I am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
> something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.
>
> Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image
>
> http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
>

> and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
> display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul ============}
> o o
>
> // Live fast, die old //
> Gallery at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/NewGallery2.htm

Hi.

I have looked at your image, and it is neutral gray. You say you have
adjusted screen settings, but still get the immage as blue.

I believe you need to Calibrate your new Monitor, to get it to show correct
colours and neutral gray.

Most Monitors need to be Calibrated, straight out of the box. If you go to
any large Computer Store, you will notice that every screen will be showing
a different colour bias, if they had been calibrated they would all be
looking identical.

If it is a CRT, Elements will have installed Adobe Gamma, in the Windows
Control Panel, which is a utility for Calibrating, and for creating a
corrected Monitor Profile. If you read up the Elements Help Files, it will
tell you exactly what you need to do. It is important to use the controls
on the Monitor to set its Colour Temperature to 6500K instead of its native
9000K, (less blue), before starting.

If it is a Flat Panel, Adobe Gamma will probably not be able to Calibrate it
correctly. You will then need a Hardware, device such as Spyder 2, to get
its colours and neutrals correct. Or, you would need to get someone, with
the equipment, to come and do the Calibration for you.

Returning it as faulty, will probably not solve the problem, you will just
get a different colour bias with its replacement.

Roy G

James Silverton

Tesco wrote on Sat, 21 Jan 2006 02:40:57 GMT:

TN> "PcB" <pcbradley@no_spam_lineone.net> wrote in message
TN> news:9DcAf.2200$(E-Mail Removed)...
??>> ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have
??>> desaturated in Elements. The image, however, appears to
??>> have a blue tint (which I am not seeing elsewhere). I am
??>> working with a new display and have messed around for two
??>> days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour
??>> settings. I am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes,
??>> the new monitor or I missed something in Elements and it
??>> really does have a blue tint.
??>>

TN> If it is a Flat Panel, Adobe Gamma will probably not be
TN> able to Calibrate it correctly. You will then need a
TN> Hardware, device such as Spyder 2, to get its colours and
TN> neutrals correct. Or, you would need to get someone, with
TN> the equipment, to come and do the Calibration for you.

TN> Returning it as faulty, will probably not solve the
TN> problem, you will just get a different colour bias with its
TN> replacement.

Some LCDs do come with calibration software. I know my Viewsonic
did and it worked quite well.

James Silverton.

John A. Stovall

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:29:41 GMT, "PcB"
<pcbradley@no_spam_lineone.net> wrote:

>... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
>Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
>seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
>for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour settings. I
>am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
>something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.
>
>Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image
>
>http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
>

>and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
>display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.

Have you actually calibrated your monitor with a colorimeter?

If not, you need to. You don't tweak color setting you get a correct
color profile with a calibrator.

"A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
color of blood in black and white"

David Douglas Duncan
Speaking on why in Vietnam
he worked only in black and white