Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Yesterday's digital SLR cameras for today's amateur enthusiast?

Yesterday's digital SLR cameras for today's amateur enthusiast?

mike anderson

Yesterday's digital SLR cameras for today's amateur enthusiast?

At 'Steve's Digicams' they list something called: best Amateur Digital
SLR cameras. I would love to have an, entry level, digital SLR of
decent quality but $1000-2000 it way over my limit. Even when they are
sold used on eBay they are far over my budget.

Back to my original question; could anyone recommend a good digital
SLR camera, from yesterday or today, one that one might find used
below $500?

Some requirements: a good manual focus. Interchangeable lenses is also
a plus.

Any help would be most appreciated,
mike

Scott W

mike anderson wrote:
> Yesterday's digital SLR cameras for today's amateur enthusiast?
>
> At 'Steve's Digicams' they list something called: best Amateur Digital
> SLR cameras. I would love to have an, entry level, digital SLR of
> decent quality but $1000-2000 it way over my limit. Even when they are
> sold used on eBay they are far over my budget.
>
> Back to my original question; could anyone recommend a good digital
> SLR camera, from yesterday or today, one that one might find used
> below $500?
>
> Some requirements: a good manual focus. Interchangeable lenses is also
> a plus.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated,
> mike

You might take a look at a used Canon 10D.

Scott

Floyd Davidson

mike anderson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Back to my original question; could anyone recommend a good digital
>SLR camera, from yesterday or today, one that one might find used
>below $500?
>
>Some requirements: a good manual focus. Interchangeable lenses is also
>a plus.

One camera you might want to look at is the Nikon D1 series. It
was built as a professional model, hence the quality and
functionality is high. Of course if you buy a 6 year old camera
that was worked to death by a pro that is a _negative_ point. So
the trick is finding one, owned by an amateur, that isn't worn
out.

It has all the bells and whistles of a pro model. The light
meter works with older manual lenses, as does the electronic
focusing aid (the viewing screen, however, does not have a micro
prism focusing aid). It has things like mirror lockup,
adjustable rate continuous shooting, x sync on opening or
closing shutter curtain, etc, etc. Of course it uses the vast
array of great Nikon lenses... as well as every less expensive
lense ever made in a Nikon mount.

However, it is 1999 technology too. While it has ISO settings
for 200 through 1600, only the 200 is useful (even 400 is too
noisy to use). It makes a 2.7 mega pixel image (2012x1324). It
won't do real Through The Lens (TTL) metering with a flash.

That is perhaps an ideal starter if you want professional
quality and functionality to explore various aspects of digital
photography, but are not going to be making large prints. For
8x10s and anything you'll want to put on a web site, for
example, it does just fine. It also provides a nice upgrade
path if you find that photography is worth a larger investment.

Philip Homburg

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Floyd Davidson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>However, it is 1999 technology too. While it has ISO settings
>for 200 through 1600, only the 200 is useful (even 400 is too
>noisy to use). It makes a 2.7 mega pixel image (2012x1324). It
>won't do real Through The Lens (TTL) metering with a flash.

The D1 is supposed to do TTL flash metering using the 28DX, 50DX, and the
80DX.

Bernd Steyer

"mike anderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Back to my original question; could anyone recommend a good digital
> SLR camera, from yesterday or today, one that one might find used
> below $500?

Pentax istD, istDs

SMS

mike anderson wrote:
> Yesterday's digital SLR cameras for today's amateur enthusiast?
>
> At 'Steve's Digicams' they list something called: best Amateur Digital
> SLR cameras. I would love to have an, entry level, digital SLR of
> decent quality but $1000-2000 it way over my limit. Even when they are
> sold used on eBay they are far over my budget.
>
> Back to my original question; could anyone recommend a good digital
> SLR camera, from yesterday or today, one that one might find used
> below $500?
>
> Some requirements: a good manual focus. Interchangeable lenses is also
> a plus.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated,
> mike

Wait a couple of months.

With Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic entering the market, prices are poised
for a fall. Canon and Nikon have been recovering their ROI for a while,
and now the bottom feeders are arriving.

Maybe The KM 7D will be closed out soon, now that KM is exiting the
market, but Sony is taking over so the lenses will still be available.

A used Canon 10D may be your best bet.

David Dyer-Bennet

(E-Mail Removed) (Philip Homburg) writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Floyd Davidson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >However, it is 1999 technology too. While it has ISO settings
> >for 200 through 1600, only the 200 is useful (even 400 is too
> >noisy to use). It makes a 2.7 mega pixel image (2012x1324). It
> >won't do real Through The Lens (TTL) metering with a flash.

> The D1 is supposed to do TTL flash metering using the 28DX, 50DX, and the
> 80DX.

Does it do it any better than the D100 or the Fuji S2? Might as well
count it as "not", then.

Cordovero

Nikon 5D. New with body only isn't much more than $500. Used with kit lens
should be just below.

"mike anderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday's digital SLR cameras for today's amateur enthusiast?
>
> At 'Steve's Digicams' they list something called: best Amateur Digital
> SLR cameras. I would love to have an, entry level, digital SLR of
> decent quality but $1000-2000 it way over my limit. Even when they are
> sold used on eBay they are far over my budget.
>
> Back to my original question; could anyone recommend a good digital
> SLR camera, from yesterday or today, one that one might find used
> below $500?
>
> Some requirements: a good manual focus. Interchangeable lenses is also
> a plus.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated,
> mike

Cordovero

Pardon me: I meant the D50.

"Cordovero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsFaAf.1074$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> Nikon 5D. New with body only isn't much more than $500. Used with kit
> lens should be just below.
>
> "mike anderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yesterday's digital SLR cameras for today's amateur enthusiast?
>>
>> At 'Steve's Digicams' they list something called: best Amateur Digital
>> SLR cameras. I would love to have an, entry level, digital SLR of
>> decent quality but $1000-2000 it way over my limit. Even when they are
>> sold used on eBay they are far over my budget.
>>
>> Back to my original question; could anyone recommend a good digital
>> SLR camera, from yesterday or today, one that one might find used
>> below $500?
>>
>> Some requirements: a good manual focus. Interchangeable lenses is also
>> a plus.
>>
>> Any help would be most appreciated,
>> mike

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"mike anderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yesterday's digital SLR cameras for today's amateur enthusiast?
>
> At 'Steve's Digicams' they list something called: best Amateur Digital
> SLR cameras. I would love to have an, entry level, digital SLR of
> decent quality but $1000-2000 it way over my limit. Even when they are
> sold used on eBay they are far over my budget.
>
> Back to my original question; could anyone recommend a good digital
> SLR camera, from yesterday or today, one that one might find used
> below $500?
>
> Some requirements: a good manual focus. Interchangeable lenses is also
> a plus.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated,
> mike

Nikon D50, I paid just over $ 500.00 for the body (new) including a Nikon
2-year extended warranty and a decent bag.