Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Picassa to ??

Picassa to ??

Larry

I am currently using Picassa 2 and using its label feature extensively.
However, I seem to be outgrowing labels. I have almost as many labels as
folders. I am thinking that I need something with 'key' word handling. This
is strictly a personal setup but I would like to make it easier to find
photos. Thank you

Larry

Jeremy

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns974F4498172C3larrybeattieshawca@64.59.144. 76...
>I am currently using Picassa 2 and using its label feature extensively.
> However, I seem to be outgrowing labels. I have almost as many labels as
> folders. I am thinking that I need something with 'key' word handling.
> This
> is strictly a personal setup but I would like to make it easier to find
> photos. Thank you
>
> Larry

Corel Photo Album 6 handles keywords very elegantly.

Marvin

Jeremy wrote:
> "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns974F4498172C3larrybeattieshawca@64.59.144. 76...
>
>>I am currently using Picassa 2 and using its label feature extensively.
>>However, I seem to be outgrowing labels. I have almost as many labels as
>>folders. I am thinking that I need something with 'key' word handling.
>>This
>>is strictly a personal setup but I would like to make it easier to find
>>photos. Thank you
>>
>>Larry

> Corel Photo Album 6 handles keywords very elegantly.

It also indexes CDs, and the last time I looked Picassa didn't do that.

HornBlower

Corel Photo Album looks good. However, getting all of your images in to it
and catalog is going to be a major time consuming process. That was one
thing I didn't like about it. With Picasa I could organize in to directories
and then Picasa did most of the work.

Unfortunately, you are right. It is quite easy to out-grow Picasa. I am also
concerned that we are going more than a year without any word of a major
upgrade. Sure the program is free, but they need to upgrade it more often.
They have a few minors one, basically to add support for other cameras RAW
files. But, we need things done to the program itself.

I am going to give them until the middle of 2006. If they haven't annouced
or released a new version by then, I will find something else.

Personally, I feel it being free is part of the problem. If that is the case
then they should charge for it. Say $19.95 with $9.95 upgrades (major
revisions, not minor ones).

Robert

barry.wallis@gmail.com

Control-K will allow you to type in keywords for any picture (I haven't
tried to use it for multiple pictures, but it might work).

- Barry

Paul Allen

Larry wrote:
> I am currently using Picassa 2 and using its label feature extensively.
> However, I seem to be outgrowing labels. I have almost as many labels as
> folders. I am thinking that I need something with 'key' word handling. This
> is strictly a personal setup but I would like to make it easier to find
> photos. Thank you

In the scheme I use, tags are hierarchical. When you open the tags
widget, it just shows the top-level tags: "people", "places", "animals",
"birds", "plants", etc. The hierarchy has a couple hundred different
tags and is growing, but it's not overwhelming. My stuff's not easily
usable on Windows, but you might look for something that handles tags
(labels) similarly.

Paul Allen