Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pocket-sized digicams that do RAW format?

Reply
Thread Tools

Pocket-sized digicams that do RAW format?

 
 
VX
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2006
I've been looking at web sites, specifically looking for pocketable digicams
that do RAW format. It would be great of there was a web site somewhere that
actually listed them, or gave some short cut of this sort.

Any ideas- any web sites that make the search easier?

And while I'm asking- does anyone have any recommendations for particular
cameras that fit this description?

TIA for any info.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nikojorj_jaimepaslapub@yahoo.Fr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2006
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

The feature "uncompressed format" can be set to RAW or TIFF, the
"Format" can be set to Compact or Ultra-Compact.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
VX
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2006
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:26:51 +0000, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote
(in message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>):

> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
>
> The feature "uncompressed format" can be set to RAW or TIFF, the
> "Format" can be set to Compact or Ultra-Compact.
>


Thanks!

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)


 
Reply With Quote
 
SMS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2006
VX wrote:
> I've been looking at web sites, specifically looking for pocketable digicams
> that do RAW format. It would be great of there was a web site somewhere that
> actually listed them, or gave some short cut of this sort.
>
> Any ideas- any web sites that make the search easier?


Canon S70 is about your only choice. It's larger than the ultra-compacts
though. Note that the S80 dropped the RAW format.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John A. Stovall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2006
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:57:41 +0000, VX <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've been looking at web sites, specifically looking for pocketable digicams
>that do RAW format. It would be great of there was a web site somewhere that
>actually listed them, or gave some short cut of this sort.
>
>Any ideas- any web sites that make the search easier?
>
>And while I'm asking- does anyone have any recommendations for particular
>cameras that fit this description?


Both the Leica D-LUX 2 and Panasonic DMC-LX1 do.

Here's a review of the LX1.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...eras/lx1.shtml


************************************************** ***********

"I believe that all government is evil,
in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

From "Mencken's Creed"
H.L. Mencken (1880 -1956)
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Bean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2006
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:56:24 -0800, SMS
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>VX wrote:
>> I've been looking at web sites, specifically looking for pocketable digicams
>> that do RAW format. It would be great of there was a web site somewhere that
>> actually listed them, or gave some short cut of this sort.
>>
>> Any ideas- any web sites that make the search easier?

>
>Canon S70 is about your only choice.


Only if you're restricted to Canon. Other manufacturers also
offer pocketable cameras with raw output.

--
John Bean
 
Reply With Quote
 
nikojorj_jaimepaslapub@yahoo.Fr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2006
Forgot toa say a thing : check also their reviews for writing times, it
might be prohibitive for some models to shoot RAW (I remember of an
(old ;o) Dimage7, you could go for a cup of coffe between one RAW shot
and the next one...).

 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank ess
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2006
John Bean wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:56:24 -0800, SMS
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> VX wrote:
>>> I've been looking at web sites, specifically looking for
>>> pocketable
>>> digicams that do RAW format. It would be great of there was a web
>>> site somewhere that actually listed them, or gave some short cut
>>> of
>>> this sort.
>>>
>>> Any ideas- any web sites that make the search easier?

>>
>> Canon S70 is about your only choice.

>
> Only if you're restricted to Canon. Other manufacturers also
> offer pocketable cameras with raw output.


for e.g.zample: Panasonic Lumix LX1.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fyougitive/sets/1569556/

 
Reply With Quote
 
SMS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2006
John Bean wrote:

> Only if you're restricted to Canon. Other manufacturers also
> offer pocketable cameras with raw output.


Not according to dpreview.

Go to: "http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp"

Select "compact" and "raw" and choose a reasonable zoom range of 28-100.
Five cameras come up, but only two are "pocketable," the S60 and S70.
The latest in the series, the S80, dropped the RAW format.

If you expand the selection to eliminate the relative wide angle (28mm),
then you can add the Fuji Finepix F700, and the Samsung Digimax V700,
but most people who care about RAW, also are probably smart enough to
insist on the wider-angle lens.

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Bean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2006
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:47:11 -0800, "Frank ess"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John Bean wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 06:56:24 -0800, SMS
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> VX wrote:
>>>> I've been looking at web sites, specifically looking for
>>>> pocketable
>>>> digicams that do RAW format. It would be great of there was a web
>>>> site somewhere that actually listed them, or gave some short cut
>>>> of
>>>> this sort.
>>>>
>>>> Any ideas- any web sites that make the search easier?
>>>
>>> Canon S70 is about your only choice.

>>
>> Only if you're restricted to Canon. Other manufacturers also
>> offer pocketable cameras with raw output.

>
>for e.g.zample: Panasonic Lumix LX1.


Indeed. I own one

There's also a couple of Fujis - the F710 is the compact one
(I think), and of course the Ricoh GR-D. But the LX1 was
certainly my choice.

--
John Bean
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem in running a basic code in python 3.3.0 that includes HTML file Satabdi Mukherjee Python 1 04-04-2013 07:48 PM
R Digicams Considered Electronic Devices On Airplanes ? Crash Digital Photography 17 09-12-2003 03:12 AM
Digicams with remote control digiboy Digital Photography 4 09-06-2003 03:35 AM
Re: With More Flash More Lumix: using an external flash unit with the FZ1 and other digicams Hans-Georg Michna Digital Photography 4 08-24-2003 06:05 PM
Multiple Exposures w/ DigiCams? Crash Digital Photography 3 07-12-2003 09:04 AM



Advertisments