Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony DSC-T5 Faulty??

Sony DSC-T5 Faulty??

Keith-M-

Hi,

I've just bought a sony dsc-t5 and I was wondering if there was a fault
with it. Basically, 1 in 10 pictures contains white orbs in it. It only
does it in low light pictures with the flash on. It isnt lens flare because
it does it occasionally when there is zero light (just the flash). I've
tried different white balance, iso settings etc but it doesnt seem to make
a differece.

I took it back to the shop where the guy says he's never seen anything like
it and swapped it straight away. The problem is still there on the
replacement camera though

Has anybody heard of this before? I might see if he'll swap it for a T7.
Does anybody know if there are any problems with them?

Cheers
Keith

Bill Funk

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:21:22 GMT, "Keith-M-" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've just bought a sony dsc-t5 and I was wondering if there was a fault
>with it. Basically, 1 in 10 pictures contains white orbs in it. It only
>does it in low light pictures with the flash on. It isnt lens flare because
>it does it occasionally when there is zero light (just the flash). I've
>tried different white balance, iso settings etc but it doesnt seem to make
>a differece.
>
>I took it back to the shop where the guy says he's never seen anything like
>it and swapped it straight away. The problem is still there on the
>replacement camera though
>
>Has anybody heard of this before? I might see if he'll swap it for a T7.
>Does anybody know if there are any problems with them?
>

>Cheers
>Keith

You're shooting indoors, right?
It's probably dust in the air, illiminated by the flash. It happens a
lot, especially with smaller cameras with the flash near the lens.
It's often the subject of questions, even speculation that it's some
otherwordly apparition, like ghosts.
It's probably just dust, though.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

Keith-M-

Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:21:22 GMT, "Keith-M-" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've just bought a sony dsc-t5 and I was wondering if there was a
>>fault with it. Basically, 1 in 10 pictures contains white orbs in it.
>>It only does it in low light pictures with the flash on. It isnt lens
>>flare because it does it occasionally when there is zero light (just
>>the flash). I've tried different white balance, iso settings etc but
>>it doesnt seem to make a differece.
>>
>>I took it back to the shop where the guy says he's never seen anything
>>like it and swapped it straight away. The problem is still there on
>>the replacement camera though
>>
>>Has anybody heard of this before? I might see if he'll swap it for a
>>T7. Does anybody know if there are any problems with them?
>>

>>Cheers
>>Keith

> You're shooting indoors, right?
> It's probably dust in the air, illiminated by the flash. It happens a
> lot, especially with smaller cameras with the flash near the lens.
> It's often the subject of questions, even speculation that it's some
> otherwordly apparition, like ghosts.
> It's probably just dust, though.

While I agree it could be dust, I would have thought dust would show as
small specks. Here are a couple of pictures with it on :

http://chief69.hopto.org/~keith/newy...06%2000-34-01_
0009.html

http://chief69.hopto.org/~keith/newy...020-31-06_0038
_edited-1.html

On those 2 pictures its in roughly the same place, but its often
somewhere else and sometimes there is 3 or 4 of them scattered randomly
over the picture.

If you still think it is dust, is there anything you can suggest to help
with the problem... other than buying a copy of photoshop

Cheers

Bill Funk

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:38:01 GMT, "Keith-M-" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:21:22 GMT, "Keith-M-" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've just bought a sony dsc-t5 and I was wondering if there was a
>>>fault with it. Basically, 1 in 10 pictures contains white orbs in it.
>>>It only does it in low light pictures with the flash on. It isnt lens
>>>flare because it does it occasionally when there is zero light (just
>>>the flash). I've tried different white balance, iso settings etc but
>>>it doesnt seem to make a differece.
>>>
>>>I took it back to the shop where the guy says he's never seen anything
>>>like it and swapped it straight away. The problem is still there on
>>>the replacement camera though
>>>
>>>Has anybody heard of this before? I might see if he'll swap it for a
>>>T7. Does anybody know if there are any problems with them?
>>>

>>>Cheers
>>>Keith

>> You're shooting indoors, right?
>> It's probably dust in the air, illiminated by the flash. It happens a
>> lot, especially with smaller cameras with the flash near the lens.
>> It's often the subject of questions, even speculation that it's some
>> otherwordly apparition, like ghosts.
>> It's probably just dust, though.
>>

>While I agree it could be dust, I would have thought dust would show as
>small specks. Here are a couple of pictures with it on :
>
>http://chief69.hopto.org/~keith/newy...06%2000-34-01_
>0009.html
>
>http://chief69.hopto.org/~keith/newy...020-31-06_0038
>_edited-1.html
>
>On those 2 pictures its in roughly the same place, but its often
>somewhere else and sometimes there is 3 or 4 of them scattered randomly
>over the picture.
>
>If you still think it is dust, is there anything you can suggest to help
>with the problem... other than buying a copy of photoshop
>

>Cheers

Whatever it is, it's environmental.
Either dust or a speck of something on the lens.
If it's dust, not much you can do, except try to clean it up with an
editor.
If it's something onthe lens, check to make sure th elens is clean.
But since it's not always in the same place, it's probably dust. Not
much you can do to avoid it without getting a flash that's not so
close to the lens.
The red-eye in the first one really says the flash is very close to
the lens, BTW, which will light up any dust in the air close tot he
lens and make those spots.
I know this sounds strange (dust???), but it does happen.

BTW, why does the girl in the second pic look like she'd rather be
somewhere else?

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com

Keith-M-

Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:38:01 GMT, "Keith-M-" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

it.

lens

anything

>>> You're shooting indoors, right?
>>> It's probably dust in the air, illiminated by the flash. It happens

>>> lot, especially with smaller cameras with the flash near the lens.
>>> It's often the subject of questions, even speculation that it's some
>>> otherwordly apparition, like ghosts.
>>> It's probably just dust, though.
>>>

>>While I agree it could be dust, I would have thought dust would show

as
>>small specks. Here are a couple of pictures with it on :
>>
>>http://chief69.hopto.org/~keith/newy...06%2000-34-01_
>>0009.html
>>
>>http://chief69.hopto.org/~keith/newy...05%2020-31-06_

0038
>>_edited-1.html
>>
>>On those 2 pictures its in roughly the same place, but its often
>>somewhere else and sometimes there is 3 or 4 of them scattered

randomly
>>over the picture.
>>
>>If you still think it is dust, is there anything you can suggest to

help
>>with the problem... other than buying a copy of photoshop
>>

>>Cheers

> Whatever it is, it's environmental.
> Either dust or a speck of something on the lens.
> If it's dust, not much you can do, except try to clean it up with an
> editor.
> If it's something onthe lens, check to make sure th elens is clean.
> But since it's not always in the same place, it's probably dust. Not
> much you can do to avoid it without getting a flash that's not so
> close to the lens.
> The red-eye in the first one really says the flash is very close to
> the lens, BTW, which will light up any dust in the air close tot he
> lens and make those spots.
> I know this sounds strange (dust???), but it does happen.
>
> BTW, why does the girl in the second pic look like she'd rather be
> somewhere else?

Ok thanks for that mate. I guess I'll just have to live with it and
improve my photoshop skills

I cant actually remember much about that night (new years eve) so I cant
tell you... I'm sure I put a smile on her face later in the night though

Thanks again.