Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Electronic view finder

Electronic view finder

irwell

Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
digital cameras have EVFs?
That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.

James Silverton

irwell wrote on Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:33:32 -0800:

i> Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
i> digital cameras have EVFs?
i> That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
i> screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.

I'm not sure what you are referring to and I don't know what is
the resolution of the monitor but many small digital cameras
have no optical viewfinder at all and simply use the screen. I
know a number of people who seldom use the optical finder even
when they have one. That certainly helps with parallax problems.

James Silverton.

Paul Rubin

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.net> writes:
> i> Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
> i> digital cameras have EVFs?
> i> That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
> i> screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.
>
> I'm not sure what you are referring to and I don't know what is the
> resolution of the monitor but many small digital cameras have no
> optical viewfinder at all and simply use the screen.

EVF means an eye level finder with a small lcd screen inside. They
are usually found on cameras with long zoom ranges since it's hard to
keep optical finders aligned at such narrow angles. They give you
the through-the-lens aspect of SLR viewing.

Some of these cameras (e.g. Canon S2IS) are fairly compact, though not
pocket sized. In smaller cameras a normal optical finder generally
seems preferable except for lack of framing accuracy.

Jack Dale

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:33:32 -0800, irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
>digital cameras have EVFs?
>That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
>screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.

A search on dpreview.com revealed:

Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Nikon Coolpix 4800
HP Photosmart 850
Canon PowerShot S2 IS
Olympus C-720 UZ
HP Photosmart 945
Nikon Coolpix 8400
Leica Digilux 2
Kyocera Finecam M410R
Kyocera Finecam M400R

That is only the first 10. You will need to read the reviews to
determine what info is in the EVF.

Jack

James Silverton

writes:
i>>> Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
i>>> digital cameras have EVFs?
i>>> That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
i>>> screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.
??>>
??>> I'm not sure what you are referring to and I don't know
??>> what is the resolution of the monitor but many small
??>> digital cameras have no optical viewfinder at all and
??>> simply use the screen.

PR> EVF means an eye level finder with a small lcd screen
PR> inside. They are usually found on cameras with long zoom
PR> ranges since it's hard to keep optical finders aligned at
PR> such narrow angles. They give you the through-the-lens
PR> aspect of SLR viewing.

As I said, I was not sure what was being referred to since I
agree that no EVF, in the sense you are using, can really be
called a "pocket camera".
James Silverton.

irwell

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:13:26 GMT, Jack Dale <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:33:32 -0800, irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
>>digital cameras have EVFs?
>>That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
>>screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.

>A search on dpreview.com revealed:
>
> Canon PowerShot S1 IS
>Nikon Coolpix 4800
>HP Photosmart 850
>Canon PowerShot S2 IS
>Olympus C-720 UZ
>HP Photosmart 945
>Nikon Coolpix 8400
>Leica Digilux 2
>Kyocera Finecam M410R
>Kyocera Finecam M400R
>
>That is only the first 10. You will need to read the reviews to
>determine what info is in the EVF.
>
>Jack

Thank you Jack. I have the Panasonic FZ15 and find the EVF
very useful, but the camera is not pocketsized, hence the question.
Will check out the ones you suggest.

Mark B.

"irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
> digital cameras have EVFs?
> That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
> screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.

I don't believe there is anything you could call pocket sized with an EVF.
EVF it seems is typically reserved for the mega-zoom cams. Pocket cams have
either no optical finder or a poor one. They seem to be getting larger LCDs
instead.

Mark

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anybody know if any of the small pocket size
> digital cameras have EVFs?
> That is, they carry the same info as the LCD
> screen when switched to Viewfinder mode.

I don't think you'll find a truly pocket-sized cam with EVF, but check
out the Fuji S7000.

ASAAR

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:55:15 +0900, Stewy wrote:

> I don't think you'll find a truly pocket-sized cam with EVF, but check
> out the Fuji S7000.

The Fuji S5100/5500 & S5200/S5600 are smaller. Slightly smaller
than these (IIRC) is the similar Kyocera Finecam M410R which has a
much higher resolution EVF.