Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson re-inking

Epson re-inking

DS

I have a gadget that resets the chip on the cartridges for my Epson C62 and
it works fine. However the heads seem to clog up.
The cartridges in question have only been refilled once. Headcleaning works
for a while but then it happens again. What I'm saving in ink I'm wasting in
paper.
Any tips,ideas, suggestions?
ds

--
There is nothing wrong with having nothing to say unless you insist on
saying it.

Kevin

"DS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7vjyf.9299$(E-Mail Removed)!nnrp1.uunet .ca...
>I have a gadget that resets the chip on the cartridges for my Epson C62 and
> it works fine. However the heads seem to clog up.
> The cartridges in question have only been refilled once. Headcleaning
> works
> for a while but then it happens again. What I'm saving in ink I'm wasting
> in
> paper.
> Any tips,ideas, suggestions?
> ds
>

> --
> There is nothing wrong with having nothing to say unless you insist on
> saying it.

I never use anything but genuine Epson cartridges in my Stylus Photo R200.
Inkjet nozzles clog. This is a fact of life. Epson nozzles seem to clog
more and more often than others but they all clog at one time or another.
If you are going to use refilled or remanufactured cartridges, shop for the
best rated cartridges you can find.

If you do some looking on sites like www.pcworld.com, or www.pcmagazine.com
and check out their product evaluations, you will see that refilled or
remanufactured inkjet cartridges do not perform as well as genuine factory
OEM cartridges.

MarkČ

DS wrote:
> I have a gadget that resets the chip on the cartridges for my Epson
> C62 and it works fine. However the heads seem to clog up.
> The cartridges in question have only been refilled once. Headcleaning
> works for a while but then it happens again. What I'm saving in ink
> I'm wasting in paper.
> Any tips,ideas, suggestions?
> ds

Suggestion: You won't like it...but...Buy Epson's inks.
Really...even when it doesn't clog, you're very likely giving up longevity,
color accuracy and inviting stress that comes from never knowing when your
printer is going to quit on you due to more clogs.

Dennis Pogson

MarkČ wrote:
> DS wrote:
>> I have a gadget that resets the chip on the cartridges for my Epson
>> C62 and it works fine. However the heads seem to clog up.
>> The cartridges in question have only been refilled once. Headcleaning
>> works for a while but then it happens again. What I'm saving in ink
>> I'm wasting in paper.
>> Any tips,ideas, suggestions?
>> ds

> Suggestion: You won't like it...but...Buy Epson's inks.
> Really...even when it doesn't clog, you're very likely giving up
> longevity, color accuracy and inviting stress that comes from never
> knowing when your printer is going to quit on you due to more clogs.

The problem is not with the cartridges but with the print heads. Epsom print
heads are part of the machine, but with some others, such as Lexmark, your
new cartridge includes new printheads, which is why they are more expensive,
you throw away the printhead every time you buy a new cartridge. All
replacement cartridges are ridiculously expensive anyway, but new printers
are ridiculously cheap. It's called marketing, and applies to wet shaving
systems too, the new razour costs much less than the replacement blades, so
Joe Soap gets a new razor, but finds he can't afford new blades, so he goes
out and buys another razor, which is supposed to be a new "revolutionary
concept in shaving". My arse!

They are all "at it", so what can you do? Refilling is only a partial answer
to the problem. The re-fillers are mostly franchisees, and they wouldn't be
doing it if they weren't in it for a quick buck or two, would they?

Until some entirely new printing technology arrives, we are stuck with it.
My own solution is only to print what is absolutely essential, and lots of
my friends are cottoning-on to the fact that we print out photos only
because that is what we did when film cameras and film processing was all
the rage. Why do we do this, for heaven's sake, then stick all the prints in
a drawer and forget about them?

Your hard disk is the place to store photos, backed up with some electronic
wizardry such as a memory stick. If you want to pass photos around a group,
use a pocket PC with card storage facilities. Use a 20" LCD to examine your
photos in detail. Throw your printer away!

Dennis.

Celcius

DS,

I'll second what all others have said.
I once bought third party inks for Epson and although the printing
heads didn't clog up, the ink faded super fast.
I have been using epsons for colour prints all along. Now, I use the
Epson Style Photo R300 with Epson ink and Epson paper. The results are
great.

Cheers,

Marcel

Matt Ion

Kevin wrote:

> I never use anything but genuine Epson cartridges in my Stylus Photo R200.
> Inkjet nozzles clog. This is a fact of life. Epson nozzles seem to clog
> more and more often than others but they all clog at one time or another.
> If you are going to use refilled or remanufactured cartridges, shop for the
> best rated cartridges you can find.
>
> If you do some looking on sites like www.pcworld.com, or www.pcmagazine.com
> and check out their product evaluations, you will see that refilled or
> remanufactured inkjet cartridges do not perform as well as genuine factory
> OEM cartridges.

FWIW, I've had my Canon iP6000D almost a year now, once went two months
without printing anything, and it's never once clogged or even required
a printhead cleaning.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0603-0, 01/15/2006
Tested on: 1/15/2006 1:23:55 PM

Alan

In message <7vjyf.9299$(E-Mail Removed)!nnrp1.uunet.ca> , DS
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>I have a gadget that resets the chip on the cartridges for my Epson C62 and
>it works fine. However the heads seem to clog up.
>The cartridges in question have only been refilled once. Headcleaning works
>for a while but then it happens again. What I'm saving in ink I'm wasting in
>paper.
>Any tips,ideas, suggestions?

I don't refill but I do use Printworks Compatible Epson Cartridges on my
Epson C66 without problems, often with 3/4 weeks between printing.

Your problem may be related to the quality of the ink but the compatible
cartridges that I buy are less than 1 GBP each (around 4 GBP for the
complete set).

<http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...ory=Printers&T
humbnails=yes>

<http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=150715>

The only thing to watch with this UK supplier is the minimum postage
charge of around 8 GBP which makes orders with a few low value items
rather expensive..

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Paul J Gans

Kevin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I never use anything but genuine Epson cartridges in my Stylus Photo R200.
>Inkjet nozzles clog. This is a fact of life. Epson nozzles seem to clog
>more and more often than others but they all clog at one time or another.
>If you are going to use refilled or remanufactured cartridges, shop for the
>best rated cartridges you can find.

>If you do some looking on sites like www.pcworld.com, or www.pcmagazine.com
>and check out their product evaluations, you will see that refilled or
>remanufactured inkjet cartridges do not perform as well as genuine factory
>OEM cartridges.

I'm absolutely shocked to hear that. I fully expected
those two magazine sites to knock the overpriced cartridges
of the major manufacturers and tell their devoted readers
where they can get decent cartridges for less.

Shocked. Just shocked!

----- Paul J. Gans

PS: The above is irony. It is not great irony, scoring only
a 6.5 on my Flash Standard Irony meter (which can also be used
to calibrate computer screens), but irony nevertheless.

MarkČ

Paul J Gans wrote:
> Kevin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I never use anything but genuine Epson cartridges in my Stylus Photo
>> R200. Inkjet nozzles clog. This is a fact of life. Epson nozzles
>> seem to clog more and more often than others but they all clog at
>> one time or another. If you are going to use refilled or
>> remanufactured cartridges, shop for the best rated cartridges you
>> can find.

>> If you do some looking on sites like www.pcworld.com, or
>> www.pcmagazine.com and check out their product evaluations, you will
>> see that refilled or remanufactured inkjet cartridges do not perform
>> as well as genuine factory OEM cartridges.

> I'm absolutely shocked to hear that. I fully expected
> those two magazine sites to knock the overpriced cartridges
> of the major manufacturers and tell their devoted readers
> where they can get decent cartridges for less.
>
> Shocked. Just shocked!

I'm also shocked....SHOCKED to see that GAMBLING is going on in here!
(Your winnings, sir)
-Thank you...very much!

Paul J Gans

"Mark?" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>Paul J Gans wrote:
>> Kevin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I never use anything but genuine Epson cartridges in my Stylus Photo
>>> R200. Inkjet nozzles clog. This is a fact of life. Epson nozzles
>>> seem to clog more and more often than others but they all clog at
>>> one time or another. If you are going to use refilled or
>>> remanufactured cartridges, shop for the best rated cartridges you
>>> can find.

>>> If you do some looking on sites like www.pcworld.com, or
>>> www.pcmagazine.com and check out their product evaluations, you will
>>> see that refilled or remanufactured inkjet cartridges do not perform
>>> as well as genuine factory OEM cartridges.

>> I'm absolutely shocked to hear that. I fully expected
>> those two magazine sites to knock the overpriced cartridges
>> of the major manufacturers and tell their devoted readers
>> where they can get decent cartridges for less.
>>
>> Shocked. Just shocked!

>I'm also shocked....SHOCKED to see that GAMBLING is going on in here!
>(Your winnings, sir)
>-Thank you...very much!

White House.

---- Paul J. Gans