Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT The eBay song...so true...

OT The eBay song...so true...

=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:25:02 GMT, no_name <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Måns Rullgård wrote:

>>> That's no excuse for banning it. Fortunately, it seems like a
>>> government ban is not the reason this time. A little google searching
>>> turns up complaints from people unable to use google video for the
>>> same reason in many countries, among them Germany and other European
>>> countries.
>>>

>>I didn't get the idea it was banned by the government; just made not
>>available by Google.

> Why would Google make it not available in certain countries?

Because they don't have permission from the content owners to
distribute videos in those countries. Google is certainly serving
different pages to different countries.

--
Måns Rullgård

no_name

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:25:02 GMT, no_name <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Måns Rullgård wrote:

>>>That's no excuse for banning it. Fortunately, it seems like a
>>>government ban is not the reason this time. A little google searching
>>>turns up complaints from people unable to use google video for the
>>>same reason in many countries, among them Germany and other European
>>>countries.
>>>

>>I didn't get the idea it was banned by the government; just made not
>>available by Google.

> Why would Google make it not available in certain countries?

Why would the Coca-Cola company come out with NEW Coke? I dunno. Maybe
they scrwed up.

Brenda Ann

"Måns Rullgård" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>It could be that Google hasn't negotiated any rights to distribute
>>>content in Korea. I doubt that the South Korean government would have
>>>any objections against google video.

>> I'm always leery of the idea that a company like Google has to
>> negotiate rights to distribute content.
>> First, that implies the country has tight control over how the
>> internet is viewed within that country, and then that it *wants* to
>> tightly control what content is viewed within that country.

> I was thinking of negotiating with the content owners, not with
> governments. Most big studios have very tight requirements for
> distribution of their content.

Nor does Korea "tightly control" what we can see on the internet. There are
country specific laws against things like porn, and these sites are blocked
insofar as the MIC can determine the IP's of such sites. If they find that
enough objectionable sites are located within an octet, they block the
entire octet. As far as them blocking LiveJournal and ogrish.com, they did
this only for a time, until interest in the particular video had waned. The
sites are now available for viewing. To me this is unwarranted censorship,
but who am I to comment on the cultural sensitivities of another culture?

Bill Funk

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:12:00 +0000, Måns Rullgård <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:25:02 GMT, no_name <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>I didn't get the idea it was banned by the government; just made not
>>>available by Google.

>> Why would Google make it not available in certain countries?

>Because they don't have permission from the content owners to
>distribute videos in those countries. Google is certainly serving
>different pages to different countries.

I could see that for some *commercial* videos, but the free ones?

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> Why would Google make it not available in certain countries?

>>Because they don't have permission from the content owners to
>>distribute videos in those countries. Google is certainly serving
>>different pages to different countries.

> I could see that for some *commercial* videos, but the free ones?

How do think they're funding the page?

--
Måns Rullgård
(E-Mail Removed)

Bill Funk

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:09:15 +0000, Måns Rullgård <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>>Because they don't have permission from the content owners to
>>>distribute videos in those countries. Google is certainly serving
>>>different pages to different countries.

>> I could see that for some *commercial* videos, but the free ones?

>How do think they're funding the page?

I'm not sure the "page" is being funded by it's own content. I think
it's more like Google funds it's operations with the income any one
video produces.