Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT The eBay song...so true...

OT The eBay song...so true...

=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

"Brenda Ann" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> Is that because of Google, or your country?

>> It could be that Google hasn't negotiated any rights to distribute
>> content in Korea. I doubt that the South Korean government would have
>> any objections against google video.
>>

> They have blocked entire IP ranges (last octet) before, and/or entire
> systems (such as LiveJournal) because of offensive content. The last octet
> thing they do because of porn sites.. they blocked LiveJournal (as well as
> ogrish.com) because they had the beheading of the Korean contractor posted.

I thought it was mainly North Korea and China that did such things. I
guess I was wrong.

--
Måns Rullgård

no_name

Brenda Ann wrote:

> "no_name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Kukyf.14616$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Mike wrote:
>>

>>>HAHAHAHA great song, thanks
>>>

>>>"m II" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>newsPgyf.72090$m05.60857@clgrps12...

>>The song gets around. Here's a slightly different take on it.
>>
>>http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...inese+students
>>
>>OR
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/dpr6a

> Google's really starting to irritate me.
>
> "Thank you for your interest in Google Video. Unfortunately, playback of
> Google Video is not available in your country."

So don't use Google Video.

Any good search engine should handle "two chinese students" and I've
seen this in a bunch of formats, including QT.

no_name

Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>>Google's really starting to irritate me.
>>>
>>>"Thank you for your interest in Google Video. Unfortunately, playback of
>>>Google Video is not available in your country."

>>Is that because of Google, or your country?

> It could be that Google hasn't negotiated any rights to distribute
> content in Korea. I doubt that the South Korean government would have
> any objections against google video.

Google Video is in beta.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

no_name <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>>Is that because of Google, or your country?

>> It could be that Google hasn't negotiated any rights to distribute
>> content in Korea. I doubt that the South Korean government would have
>> any objections against google video.

> Google Video is in beta.

That's no excuse for banning it. Fortunately, it seems like a
government ban is not the reason this time. A little google searching
turns up complaints from people unable to use google video for the
same reason in many countries, among them Germany and other European
countries.

--
Måns Rullgård
(E-Mail Removed)

Bill Funk

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:30:28 +0000, Måns Rullgård <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>>Google's really starting to irritate me.
>>>
>>>"Thank you for your interest in Google Video. Unfortunately, playback of
>>>Google Video is not available in your country."

>> Is that because of Google, or your country?

>It could be that Google hasn't negotiated any rights to distribute
>content in Korea. I doubt that the South Korean government would have
>any objections against google video.

I'm always leery of the idea that a company like Google has to
negotiate rights to distribute content.
First, that implies the country has tight control over how the
internet is viewed within that country, and then that it *wants* to
tightly control what content is viewed within that country.
Another example of the oft-misunderstood concept of freedom that many
of us have.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:38:37 +0000, Måns Rullgård <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>> It could be that Google hasn't negotiated any rights to distribute
>>> content in Korea. I doubt that the South Korean government would have
>>> any objections against google video.
>>>

>> They have blocked entire IP ranges (last octet) before, and/or entire
>> systems (such as LiveJournal) because of offensive content. The last octet
>> thing they do because of porn sites.. they blocked LiveJournal (as well as
>> ogrish.com) because they had the beheading of the Korean contractor posted.

>I thought it was mainly North Korea and China that did such things. I
>guess I was wrong.

We sometimers forget that many countries that are held up as paragons
of freedom, aren't.
France and Germany, as only two examples, forbid anything that
glorifies or apologizes for Nazism. Regardless of how one feels about
Nazism, this is not free speech in action.
The Internet is often limited in such countries (it certainly is in
France and Germany) for various reasons.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com

Bill Funk

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 03:55:16 +0000, Måns Rullgård <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>> It could be that Google hasn't negotiated any rights to distribute
>>> content in Korea. I doubt that the South Korean government would have
>>> any objections against google video.

>> Google Video is in beta.

>That's no excuse for banning it. Fortunately, it seems like a
>government ban is not the reason this time. A little google searching
>turns up complaints from people unable to use google video for the
>same reason in many countries, among them Germany and other European
>countries.

Video.google.com isn't a country-specific site. If it's not available
in some countries, it's because it's being blocked.
Who but the country's government would be having it blocked?
It's true that being in a Beta state is no reason for the blockage, so
the only other likely reason is content.
That Germany is among the countries blocking it, only points more
strongly to content as being the reason.

--

Måns Rullgård wrote:

>>>It could be that Google hasn't negotiated any rights to distribute
>>>content in Korea. I doubt that the South Korean government would have
>>>any objections against google video.

>>Google Video is in beta.

> That's no excuse for banning it. Fortunately, it seems like a
> government ban is not the reason this time. A little google searching
> turns up complaints from people unable to use google video for the
> same reason in many countries, among them Germany and other European
> countries.

I didn't get the idea it was banned by the government; just made not
available by Google.

Bill Funk

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:25:02 GMT, no_name <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Måns Rullgård wrote:

>>>Google Video is in beta.

>> That's no excuse for banning it. Fortunately, it seems like a
>> government ban is not the reason this time. A little google searching
>> turns up complaints from people unable to use google video for the
>> same reason in many countries, among them Germany and other European
>> countries.
>>

>I didn't get the idea it was banned by the government; just made not
>available by Google.

Why would Google make it not available in certain countries?

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com

=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

>>> Is that because of Google, or your country?

>>It could be that Google hasn't negotiated any rights to distribute
>>content in Korea. I doubt that the South Korean government would have
>>any objections against google video.

> I'm always leery of the idea that a company like Google has to
> negotiate rights to distribute content.
> First, that implies the country has tight control over how the
> internet is viewed within that country, and then that it *wants* to
> tightly control what content is viewed within that country.

I was thinking of negotiating with the content owners, not with
governments. Most big studios have very tight requirements for
distribution of their content.

--
Måns Rullgård
(E-Mail Removed)