Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PSP or Adobe Photoshop Elements or

PSP or Adobe Photoshop Elements or

David Amos

What?

Which is the easier to use?
or gives the better results?
I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP

Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of either, or an
alternative, that someone could suggest? But not "XXX for Dummies" please.

Tony Cooper

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:07:55 GMT, "David Amos"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What?
>
>Which is the easier to use?
>or gives the better results?
>I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
>I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP
>
>Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of either, or an
>alternative, that someone could suggest? But not "XXX for Dummies" please.

Is there a Borders, a Barnes & Noble, or a Books-A-Million in your
area? Grab few of the dozens of books on the shelves about Photoshop
Elements, go buy a cup of coffee, and see which book you find the
easiest to follow. There are probably only a couple of books on
PSP.

Then, try some of the MyJanee (Google for them) on-line tutorials and
learn as you go. Most of the tutorials work in any version of any
Adobe program.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

David J Taylor

David Amos wrote:
> What?
>
> Which is the easier to use?
> or gives the better results?
> I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
> I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP
>
> Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of either, or
> an alternative, that someone could suggest? But not "XXX for Dummies"
> please.

Your best bet with Paint Shop Pro is to ask questions of the helpful folks
on the PSP newsgroups:

Server: cnews.corel.com
Newsgroup: corel.PaintShopProX

David

Ron Hunter

David Amos wrote:
> What?
>
> Which is the easier to use?
> or gives the better results?
> I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
> I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP
>
> Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of either, or an
> alternative, that someone could suggest? But not "XXX for Dummies" please.

There are many good books on PSE, even the current (PSE4). You might
try the Photoshop forums for specific advice regarding the best books
for the aspect you are interested in using.

paul.busse@gmail.com

Scott Kelby, The Photoshop Elements Book for Digital Photographers

Paul B.

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:07:55 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David Amos"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What?
>
>Which is the easier to use?
>or gives the better results?
>I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
>I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP

Raw support in PSP is quite lacking. If you shoot raw consider that.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

bmoag

Stay with Elements if you want to move onward and upward in the world of
digital imaging. There are two players in image processing software: Adobe
and everyonelse.
What you learn in Elements you can apply to Photoshop if you decide to take
the plunge.
The main reason to stick with Elements/Adobe is ultimately to be able to
implement and use color management. in the most straightforward manner.
IMHO use of color management is the big step up from digital snapshooter to
advanced amateur. There is no control over the digital imaging and printing
process without color management.
Manufacturers of color management devices and software essentially support
only Adobe in their instructions and guides. Although you can use these
devices and software with other color managed programs you will have to seek
out how to do this on your own.
If you master Elements and move on to Photoshop you will feel as if you have
entered the Promised Land of Digital Photography.
There are many video tutorials on the web walking one through the basics of
Photoshop/Elements. I would hit google and start there as it is easier to
grasp many of these concepts by watching someone do it rather than reading
it from a book.

oink@woosh.co.nz

PSP9 was very good. I bought it originally, only because Elements kept
crashing on my pc. Both were equal programs in my view. I have since
read there is some incompatibility with AMD processors.
Then Coral bought JASC and version X came along, not well received or
upgraded to by many users including me. Big company syndrome seems to
have taken over from a small dynamic originator. For long term, or
possible future graduation to Photoshop, I would stick with Elements,
Don
David Amos wrote:
> What?
>
> Which is the easier to use?
> or gives the better results?
> I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
> I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP
>
> Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of either, or an
> alternative, that someone could suggest? But not "XXX for Dummies" please.

James Silverton

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 14 Jan 2006 09:46:31 -0800:

o> PSP9 was very good. I bought it originally, only because
o> Elements kept crashing on my pc. Both were equal programs in
o> my view. ??>>
??>> Which is the easier to use?
??>> or gives the better results?
??>> I got Photoshop Elements with my 300D
??>> I downloaded the 60 day trial of PSP
??>>
??>> Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of
??>> either, or an alternative, that someone could suggest? But
??>> not "XXX for Dummies" please.

Is there a "Missing Manual"?

I'm a bit prejudiced in favor of Elements since I got a free
copy and upgraded it later to version 3.0 ( $30 with rebates).
Elements beats PSP 9, AFAICT, in that it can readily stitch a
panorama (and does a pretty good job!). I'm told that Elements
4.0 has improved the color cast routine by finally considering
skin tones.

James Silverton.

clw

> > Is there a really good book on how to get the best use of either, or an
> > alternative, that someone could suggest? But not "XXX for Dummies" please.

There are many books of "how to" for Elements and Photo Shop. Try Scott
Kelby. There is a "Missing Manuals" for Elements 3 by Barbara Brundage
whcih is quite good but elementary. The Dummies books are a waste of
money.