Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > canon digital camera settings

canon digital camera settings

skydiverBill

need help with the settings for a canon 20d inside a gym with tungsten
lights, taking photos at the son's wrestling meets, I have been using
iso 1600, shutter speed at 60 and aperture at 9.0 with a sigma 55-200mm
lens f 4-5. Thanks

Steven Campbell

"skydiverBill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> need help with the settings for a canon 20d inside a gym with tungsten
> lights, taking photos at the son's wrestling meets, I have been using
> iso 1600, shutter speed at 60 and aperture at 9.0 with a sigma 55-200mm
> lens f 4-5. Thanks

You asked the same question yesterday and were given 7 helpful replies.

C Wright

On 1/13/06 8:14 AM, in article
(E-Mail Removed). com, "skydiverBill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> need help with the settings for a canon 20d inside a gym with tungsten
> lights, taking photos at the son's wrestling meets, I have been using
> iso 1600, shutter speed at 60 and aperture at 9.0 with a sigma 55-200mm
> lens f 4-5. Thanks

You don't say what results you are getting with those settings. But, based
on the subject of your photos (sometimes very fast moving wrestlers) your
selected shutter speed is very slow and aperture needlessly small. You
should be shooting at the maximum shutter speed that your f4.5 lens will
allow.
Chuck

Ed Ruf

On 13 Jan 2006 06:14:08 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "skydiverBill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>need help with the settings for a canon 20d inside a gym with tungsten
>lights, taking photos at the son's wrestling meets, I have been using
>iso 1600, shutter speed at 60 and aperture at 9.0 with a sigma 55-200mm
>lens f 4-5. Thanks

There have been at least eight replies to your original message. Why
are you posting the same question again?
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

skydiverBill

Sorry I could not seem to find the original post and thought maybe it
did not upload

Steven Campbell

"skydiverBill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Sorry I could not seem to find the original post and thought maybe it
> did not upload

<http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.photo.digital/browse_frm/thread/96a89d6808bd686b/47774bd1dd831af6?lnk=st&q=%22Cannon+20d+settings+f or+shooting+inside+a+gym+with+tungsten+lights%22&r num=1#47774bd1dd831af6>

For your perusal.

wilt

Gym lights are often mercury vapor or some other vapor, not tungsten!
As a result, the red-poor light source could be misinterpreted as 'not
much' light, if you set Tunsten manually rather than letting the
camera's auto white brightness adjust itself. If you are choosing
tungsten, make SURE they ARE tungsten!