Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson Water Color Paper?

Epson Water Color Paper?

Mark Anon

Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

I'm looking for something with more texture than the Enhanced Matte paper to
print out some of my LF images. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

Andrew Haley

In rec.photo.digital Mark Anon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

> I'm looking for something with more texture than the Enhanced Matte paper to
> print out some of my LF images. Any suggestions?

Epson Somerset Velvet is the very best, but it's frighteningly
expensive.

Andrew.

Anon

Is this the same as Epson Velvet (S041636 for 8.5x11, and S041637 for 13x19)
??

"Somerset" is available on Epson's website in sizes smaller than 24x30

Mark

"Andrew Haley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In rec.photo.digital Mark Anon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

>> I'm looking for something with more texture than the Enhanced Matte paper
>> print out some of my LF images. Any suggestions?

> Epson Somerset Velvet is the very best, but it's frighteningly
> expensive.
>
> Andrew.

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Andrew Haley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I'm looking for something with more texture than the Enhanced Matte paper
> > print out some of my LF images. Any suggestions?

Tetenal Aquarell watercolor paper has a very nice hand pressed finish.
You can actually print on either side depending on the effect desired.
Their Canvas material can also do this for two different effects.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Anon

Thank you Bob.

"Bob Salomon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Andrew Haley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > I'm looking for something with more texture than the Enhanced Matte
>> > paper
>> > print out some of my LF images. Any suggestions?

> Tetenal Aquarell watercolor paper has a very nice hand pressed finish.
> You can actually print on either side depending on the effect desired.
> Their Canvas material can also do this for two different effects.
>
> --
> To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Nicholas O. Lindan

"Mark Anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

Try watercolor paper from the art store -- the stuff
sold for painting watercolors. I have done it and it
works well, don't know if it is still considered 'kosher'.

"Cheap Joe's Art Stuff" is a decent discount art supply
house, they are on www.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com

tomm42

You can try it but the results are very soft as standard WC paper has
no coating to restrict the bleed of the ink. That said I have seen some
nice pieces using this technique, but it was on Rieves or Arches paper,
not Cheap Joes'. www.ATLEX.com has epson papers at a substantial
discount from the Epson site. www.hawkmtnartpapers.com is a very good
independent paper manufacturer, very good people to deal with.

Tom

Bob Williams

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
> "Mark Anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>

>>Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

> Try watercolor paper from the art store -- the stuff
> sold for painting watercolors. I have done it and it
> works well, don't know if it is still considered 'kosher'.
>
> "Cheap Joe's Art Stuff" is a decent discount art supply
> house, they are on www.

I have done the same.
I get a "Tablet" of 25-30 sheets of acid-free watercolor paper with a
texture as close as possible to the original from my local Art store.
Costs around $10. Works great.
Bob Williams

rafe b

"Nicholas O. Lindan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqxxf.6585$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "Mark Anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>> Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?

> Try watercolor paper from the art store -- the stuff
> sold for painting watercolors. I have done it and it
> works well, don't know if it is still considered 'kosher'.
>
> "Cheap Joe's Art Stuff" is a decent discount art supply
> house, they are on www.

I did that years ago and the results were horrible.
Dot gain on artists' watercolor paper is enormous
and (IMO) totally unsuitable for detailed prints
or images that need "snap."

Problem is, inket papers don't hold photographic
detail without a good, hard coating. The best
Dmax and contrast also require optical brighteners.

Viz., regular old Somerset Velvet sucked badly,
but Somerset Velvet "Photo Enhanced" worked
quite nicely.

The downside (there always is one) is that such
coatings applied to coarse-fibered "art" papers
tend to flake off, leaving dust and debris in the
printer. If the paper flakes after the ink goes on,
it leaves white specks on the print.

The "solution" is to brush the paper thoroughly
and carefully before printing.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

measekite

rafe b wrote:

>"Nicholas O. Lindan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bqxxf.6585$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>

>>"Mark Anon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>

>>>Does Epson no longer make the Water Color paper?
>>>

>>Try watercolor paper from the art store -- the stuff
>>sold for painting watercolors. I have done it and it
>>works well, don't know if it is still considered 'kosher'.
>>
>>"Cheap Joe's Art Stuff" is a decent discount art supply
>>house, they are on www.
>>

>I did that years ago and the results were horrible.

Did you use Epson ink?