Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XML Editors

XML Editors

L. Scott M.

First I am just starting off using Linux, trying to wean myself away
from Microsoft.

I have some XML files that I have been supporting using Microsoft
Visual Studio 2003/2005, within this enterprise they have the ability
to edit XML files as standard text and they have the ability to edit
the file in a "data grid" view. The "data grid" provides an easy way
to enter data within XML nodes. I know that VS 2003 will also
generate a schema "xsd" file from an "xml" file - have not tried with
2005. Of course it also checks the XML document for being "well
formed".

Does the Linux community have a package that can provide the same
capabilities as the MS nemisis ? Yes, I do know that cutting/pasting
works but when one is transcribing notes into a document one does not
want to worry about "tags".

Thank you for your time,
Scott M.

Michael Robinson

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:37:50 -0800, L. Scott M. wrote:

> First I am just starting off using Linux, trying to wean myself away
> from Microsoft.
>
> I have some XML files that I have been supporting using Microsoft
> Visual Studio 2003/2005, within this enterprise they have the ability
> to edit XML files as standard text and they have the ability to edit
> the file in a "data grid" view. The "data grid" provides an easy way
> to enter data within XML nodes. I know that VS 2003 will also
> generate a schema "xsd" file from an "xml" file - have not tried with
> 2005. Of course it also checks the XML document for being "well
> formed".
>
> Does the Linux community have a package that can provide the same
> capabilities as the MS nemisis ? Yes, I do know that cutting/pasting
> works but when one is transcribing notes into a document one does not
> want to worry about "tags".
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Scott M.

http://www.conglomerate.org/intro.html

Does that look like it'll work?

Joseph Kesselman

I'm not familiar with the "data grid view", so I have no comments on
whether there's anything precisely equivalent. There are a lot of of
portable XML editors, including several which happily plug into or work
smoothly with Eclipse (which is in some sense the portable equivalent of
Visual Studio)... but I tend to either edit my XML entirely manually (eg
with Emacs XML mode) or entirely programmatically, so I haven't had
reason to go looking for compromises between those extremes.

Generating a schema from an XML file... "That trick rarely works". It's
certainly possible to automatically generate ONE OF the possible schemas
which describes a document, but that will generally be over-specific in
some areas and under-specific in others. There are tools which will take
a collection of XML files and attempt to derive a common schema that
covers the whole set, but success still tends to be limited; at best you
may get something that's close enough that it's worth using as a basis
for manually taking it the rest of the way.

Designing the schema first, then using it to guide creation of instance
documents, is the ideal approach. If you aren't ready to do that...
maybe you should be sticking with well-formed documents until the design
settles down?

L. Scott M.

On Mar 2, 12:34 pm, Michael Robinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:37:50 -0800, L. Scott M. wrote:
> > First I am just starting off using Linux, trying to wean myself away
> > from Microsoft.

> > I have some XML files that I have been supporting using Microsoft
> > Visual Studio 2003/2005, within this enterprise they have the ability
> > to edit XML files as standard text and they have the ability to edit
> > the file in a "data grid" view. The "data grid" provides an easy way
> > to enter data within XML nodes. I know that VS 2003 will also
> > generate a schema "xsd" file from an "xml" file - have not tried with

I will take a look at it, it appears to look like it would work -
Thanks !!!!!

> > 2005. Of course it also checks the XML document for being "well
> > formed".

> > Does the Linux community have a package that can provide the same
> > capabilities as the MS nemisis ? Yes, I do know that cutting/pasting
> > works but when one is transcribing notes into a document one does not
> > want to worry about "tags".

> > Thank you for your time,
> > Scott M.

> http://www.conglomerate.org/intro.html
>
> Does that look like it'll work?

L. Scott M.

On Mar 2, 12:34 pm, Joseph Kesselman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the "data grid view", so I have no comments on
> whether there's anything precisely equivalent. There are a lot of of
> portable XML editors, including several which happily plug into or work
> smoothly with Eclipse (which is in some sense the portable equivalent of
> Visual Studio)... but I tend to either edit my XML entirely manually (eg
> with Emacs XML mode) or entirely programmatically, so I haven't had
> reason to go looking for compromises between those extremes.
>
> Generating a schema from an XML file... "That trick rarely works". It's
> certainly possible to automatically generate ONE OF the possible schemas
> which describes a document, but that will generally be over-specific in
> some areas and under-specific in others. There are tools which will take
> a collection of XML files and attempt to derive a common schema that
> covers the whole set, but success still tends to be limited; at best you
> may get something that's close enough that it's worth using as a basis
> for manually taking it the rest of the way.
>
> Designing the schema first, then using it to guide creation of instance
> documents, is the ideal approach. If you aren't ready to do that...
> maybe you should be sticking with well-formed documents until the design
> settles down?

Yeah, I was not too impressed with the schema generated by Microsoft
Visual Studio either, but the concept intrigued me and does provide a
foundation to start from - especially if one hand wrote an XML
document.

I will into Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org/) and Conglomerate (http://
www.conglomerate.org/intro.html), it looks like either or both may
satisfy this requirement. Heck, maybe "emacs" would work, but I am
not familiar with its abilities, it sounds text based, maybe like an
ISPF mainframe editor but with added features could support entering
of data in XML nodes....

Thanks for the pointers,
Scott M.

Here are some links to pics that kind of depict what I was talking
about....

Using the XML and Schema Designers
http://www.samspublishing.com/librar...eqNum=136&rl=1
http://www.samspublishing.com/conten...ks/12fig04.jpg
http://www.samspublishing.com/conten...ks/12fig08.jpg
http://www.samspublishing.com/conten...ks/12fig11.jpg

ray

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:37:50 -0800, L. Scott M. wrote:

> First I am just starting off using Linux, trying to wean myself away
> from Microsoft.
>
> I have some XML files that I have been supporting using Microsoft
> Visual Studio 2003/2005, within this enterprise they have the ability
> to edit XML files as standard text and they have the ability to edit
> the file in a "data grid" view. The "data grid" provides an easy way
> to enter data within XML nodes. I know that VS 2003 will also
> generate a schema "xsd" file from an "xml" file - have not tried with
> 2005. Of course it also checks the XML document for being "well
> formed".
>
> Does the Linux community have a package that can provide the same
> capabilities as the MS nemisis ? Yes, I do know that cutting/pasting
> works but when one is transcribing notes into a document one does not
> want to worry about "tags".
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Scott M.

I don't know what distribution you're using (it is often helpful to
include that), but I've installed an XML editor on my laptop - don't
recall the name. I'd suggest you start up your package management tool and
search for 'xml' or 'xml editor' and see what pops up. There were a couple
in Ubuntu repositories.

ray

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:44:44 -0700, ray wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:37:50 -0800, L. Scott M. wrote:
>
>> First I am just starting off using Linux, trying to wean myself away
>> from Microsoft.
>>
>> I have some XML files that I have been supporting using Microsoft
>> Visual Studio 2003/2005, within this enterprise they have the ability
>> to edit XML files as standard text and they have the ability to edit
>> the file in a "data grid" view. The "data grid" provides an easy way
>> to enter data within XML nodes. I know that VS 2003 will also
>> generate a schema "xsd" file from an "xml" file - have not tried with
>> 2005. Of course it also checks the XML document for being "well
>> formed".
>>
>> Does the Linux community have a package that can provide the same
>> capabilities as the MS nemisis ? Yes, I do know that cutting/pasting
>> works but when one is transcribing notes into a document one does not
>> want to worry about "tags".
>>
>> Thank you for your time,
>> Scott M.

> I don't know what distribution you're using (it is often helpful to
> include that), but I've installed an XML editor on my laptop - don't
> recall the name. I'd suggest you start up your package management tool and
> search for 'xml' or 'xml editor' and see what pops up. There were a couple
> in Ubuntu repositories.

Just checked - it is 'kxml'.

L. Scott M.

On Mar 2, 8:44 pm, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:37:50 -0800, L. Scott M. wrote:
> > First I am just starting off using Linux, trying to wean myself away
> > from Microsoft.

> > I have some XML files that I have been supporting using Microsoft
> > Visual Studio 2003/2005, within this enterprise they have the ability
> > to edit XML files as standard text and they have the ability to edit
> > the file in a "data grid" view. The "data grid" provides an easy way
> > to enter data within XML nodes. I know that VS 2003 will also
> > generate a schema "xsd" file from an "xml" file - have not tried with
> > 2005. Of course it also checks the XML document for being "well
> > formed".

> > Does the Linux community have a package that can provide the same
> > capabilities as the MS nemisis ? Yes, I do know that cutting/pasting
> > works but when one is transcribing notes into a document one does not
> > want to worry about "tags".

> > Thank you for your time,
> > Scott M.

> I don't know what distribution you're using (it is often helpful to
> include that), but I've installed an XML editor on my laptop - don't
> recall the name. I'd suggest you start up your package management tool and
> search for 'xml' or 'xml editor' and see what pops up. There were a couple
> in Ubuntu repositories.

Sorry about that installed SUSE 10.2 on my machine....

Just spent half the night messing with "conglomerate", guess I am
missing something, plus reading one of their numerous "read me files"
it said that 0.9.1 not to expect too much......

duh, I had gone through the "Package Groups", "Search" in YaST on XML
brought up a whole slew of stuff, there went an evening.

Really love the learning curve, getting a "tar" file then trying to
figure out where to put it, which switch to use, where to put the
install and then oops mistyped something, where did it
go.......... F@$% %^&&^$#^%# ........... oops that is how one
archives it tape, figure this all out but cannot compile or
something..........
..........then after four hours, a noble guide informs this lost soul
that it is on their machine already, even found "conglomerate", check
the boxes, pull the CD's and away we go, I hope.... It is midnight
there are a few more hours left....

Would like to find a brain dead site, for example this "tar"
thing.....
Copy files to or restore files from an archive medium. Options need
not be preceded by "-" (though they may be). The exception to this
rule is when your are using a long-style option. - Linux In a
Nutshell page 429. I then got to read three pages of options all to
figure out how to use "tar", my GUI Archive Manager would export, but
then the question was to where, my local user, root, under /usr/
bin....... where is the "politically correct" rule of thumb location
for downloaded apps ?

Installing as I type here, thanks oh great masters of the "tar" and
the "grep" - seriously thanks, lets see how this goes,

Scott M.

L. Scott M.

Okay, I like the KXML Editor, interesting in that I am using GNOME yet
this is a KDE tool....
"conglomerate" has a little ways to go, maybe it can be configured
but....

Thanks again,
Scott M.

L. Scott M.

On Mar 3, 1:08 am, "L. Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Okay, I like the KXML Editor, interesting in that I am using GNOME yet
> this is a KDE tool....
> "conglomerate" has a little ways to go, maybe it can be configured
> but....
>
> Thanks again,
> Scott M.

Still a tabular format would be helpful where the elements containing
data vs elements would be displayed like a table - for example the
"row / node" "NAME" would look like this:

FIRST MIDDLE LAST
Scooby none Doo
Name none Changed

<XMLROOT>
<PEOPLE>
<NAME>
<FIRST>Scooby</FIRST>
<MIDDLE>none</MIDDLE>
<LAST>Doo</LAST>
</NAME>
<NAME>
<FIRST>Name</FIRST>
<MIDDLE>none</MIDDLE>
<LAST>Changed</LAST>
</NAME>
<ADDRESS>
<LOCATION01>222 Normal Street</LOCATION01>
<CITY>Mayberry</CITY>
<STATE>NC</STATE>
<ZIP>55555</ZIP>
<TYPE>STREET</TYPE>
</ADDRESS>
</PEOPLE>
</XMLROOT>

Other XML Editors/Tools besides XMLSpy? carey1@sbcglobal.net XML 7 08-22-2008 03:24 PM
XML editors - what can they do? Reds XML 6 01-19-2008 06:52 AM
Categorization of XML Editors docbook.xml@gmail.com XML 0 01-05-2005 05:17 AM
XML Editors Brian Shannon ASP .Net 2 08-19-2004 12:00 AM
xml editors Radhika XML 8 06-08-2004 10:48 AM

Advertisments