Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Error loading SolarisSerial

Error loading SolarisSerial

quad

Hello
I tried running the examples on the following link on windows XP and
2000.
http://java.sun.com/products/javacom...s_guide_3.html
Are those programs specific to solaris? Will they work on windows?

I get the following errors when i tried to run the programs:

E:\project\ckt download\Serial_port\trial2\classes>java SimpleWrite
Error loading SolarisSerial: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
SolarisSerialPar
allel in java.library.path
Caught java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: readRegistrySerial while
om.sun.comm.SolarisDriver
Error loading SolarisSerial: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
SolarisSerialPar
allel in java.library.path
Caught java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: readRegistrySerial while
om.sun.comm.SolarisDriver
port COM1 not found.

E:\project\ckt download\Serial_port\trial2\classes>java SimpleRead
Error loading SolarisSerial: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
SolarisSerialPar
allel in java.library.path
Caught java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: readRegistrySerial while
om.sun.comm.SolarisDriver
Error loading SolarisSerial: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
SolarisSerialPar
allel in java.library.path
Caught java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: readRegistrySerial while
om.sun.comm.SolarisDriver
port COM1 not found.

I get the following errors:

comm.jar is placed in:

%JAVA_HOME%/lib

%JAVA_HOME%/jre/lib/ext

win32com.dll is placed in:

%JAVA_HOME%/bin

%JAVA_HOME%/jre/bin

%windir%System32

javax.comm.properties is placed in:

%JAVA_HOME%/lib

%JAVA_HOME%/jre/lib

Environment variable PATH also points to comm.jar file. Please guide
me as to how I can correct the above errors.
Regards
Quad

Knute Johnson

quad wrote:
> Hello
> I tried running the examples on the following link on windows XP and
> 2000.
> http://java.sun.com/products/javacom...s_guide_3.html
> Are those programs specific to solaris? Will they work on windows?
>
> I get the following errors when i tried to run the programs:
>
> E:\project\ckt download\Serial_port\trial2\classes>java SimpleWrite
> Error loading SolarisSerial: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
> SolarisSerialPar
> allel in java.library.path
> Caught java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: readRegistrySerial while
> om.sun.comm.SolarisDriver
> Error loading SolarisSerial: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
> SolarisSerialPar
> allel in java.library.path
> Caught java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: readRegistrySerial while
> om.sun.comm.SolarisDriver
> port COM1 not found.
>
> E:\project\ckt download\Serial_port\trial2\classes>java SimpleRead
> Error loading SolarisSerial: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
> SolarisSerialPar
> allel in java.library.path
> Caught java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: readRegistrySerial while
> om.sun.comm.SolarisDriver
> Error loading SolarisSerial: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
> SolarisSerialPar
> allel in java.library.path
> Caught java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: readRegistrySerial while
> om.sun.comm.SolarisDriver
> port COM1 not found.
>
> I get the following errors:
>
> comm.jar is placed in:
>
> %JAVA_HOME%/lib
>
> %JAVA_HOME%/jre/lib/ext
>
> win32com.dll is placed in:
>
> %JAVA_HOME%/bin
>
> %JAVA_HOME%/jre/bin
>
> %windir%System32
>
> javax.comm.properties is placed in:
>
> %JAVA_HOME%/lib
>
> %JAVA_HOME%/jre/lib
>
> Environment variable PATH also points to comm.jar file. Please guide
> me as to how I can correct the above errors.
> Regards
> Quad

It looks like you are using the Solaris API on a Windows machine?

Get a Windows copy of JavaComm API and put the comm.jar file in:

JDK?.?.?/bin/jre/lib/ext

JRE?.?.?/lib/ext

The win32com.dll goes in:

JRE?.?.?/bin

and the javax.comm.properties file goes in:

JRE?.?.?/lib

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/

a249@mailinator.com

On Mar 2, 6:38 pm, Knute Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Get a Windows copy of JavaComm API and put the comm.jar file in:

Sun no longer distributes the Windows version. Get RxTx.

Knute Johnson

> On Mar 2, 6:38 pm, Knute Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Get a Windows copy of JavaComm API and put the comm.jar file in:

> Sun no longer distributes the Windows version. Get RxTx.

You can still get it and RXTX has a bunch of bugs under Windows. I
don't recommend it. Google around and you can find Sun's version.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/

a24900@googlemail.com

On Mar 3, 1:34 am, Knute Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> You can still get it and RXTX has a bunch of bugs under Windows. I
> don't recommend it. Google around and you can find Sun's version.

Such finds are likely illegal. Sun never approved redistribution. And
it is not a clever idea to download software for Windows from
untrusted sources.

Knute Johnson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mar 3, 1:34 am, Knute Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> You can still get it and RXTX has a bunch of bugs under Windows. I
>> don't recommend it. Google around and you can find Sun's version.

> Such finds are likely illegal. Sun never approved redistribution. And
> it is not a clever idea to download software for Windows from
> untrusted sources.

It is on Sun's site.

https://sdlc2e.sun.com/ECom/EComActi...AAA1B87D00B6D5

And you really don't have a choice if you want it to work.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/

quad

> It is on Sun's site.
>
> https://sdlc2e.sun.com/ECom/EComActi...d=A2EF022FE18F...

Sorry I tried accessing that link, but it leads me to a login page. So
couldn't find which download you were actually referring to.

I downloaded the generic com api from
https://sdlc3a.sun.com:443/ECom/ECom...0B3DFF7EEC945A

Generic Platform - Java(tm) Communication API
comm.jar, 2.0.3, generic, English (3rd party backward compatibility,
only), English comm2.0.3.zip 31.84 KB

And tried the examples from this link:
http://java.sun.com/products/javacom...s_guide_3.html.
But i've been getting the same error again n again. Is it a prob with
API or with the program?

> And you really don't have a choice if you want it to work.

I desperately want it to work. Please guide me!

Regards
Quad

Knute Johnson

quad wrote:
>> It is on Sun's site.
>>
>> https://sdlc2e.sun.com/ECom/EComActi...d=A2EF022FE18F...
>>

> Sorry I tried accessing that link, but it leads me to a login page. So
> couldn't find which download you were actually referring to.
>
> I downloaded the generic com api from
> https://sdlc3a.sun.com:443/ECom/ECom...0B3DFF7EEC945A
>
> Generic Platform - Java(tm) Communication API
> comm.jar, 2.0.3, generic, English (3rd party backward compatibility,
> only), English comm2.0.3.zip 31.84 KB
>
> And tried the examples from this link:
> http://java.sun.com/products/javacom...s_guide_3.html.
> But i've been getting the same error again n again. Is it a prob with
> API or with the program?
>
>> And you really don't have a choice if you want it to work.
>>

> I desperately want it to work. Please guide me!
>
> Regards
> Quad

The one you downloaded won't work. I don't know what happened with the
other link but try this one.

http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/...actionId=noreg

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/

quad

> The one you downloaded won't work. I don't know what happened with the
> other link but try this one.
>
> http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/...=22&PartDetail...

Thanks Mr.Johnson! I downloaded the windows version from that link,
and copied the files in their appropriate locations:

win32com.dll in <JDK>\bin directory.

comm.jar in <JDK>\lib directory.

javax.comm.properties in <JDK>\lib directory. (as per instructions
given in the Java(tm) Communications API Win32 Installation
Instructions html page that is included in the zip file.

I tried executing the SimpleRead and SimpleWrite programs with serial
port name as COM1 or COM2. It compiled without errors. But it does not
give any output.

I also tried executing the program below, which you had posted
sometime back in this group.

import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;
import javax.comm.*;

public class CheckPort {
public CheckPort() {
CommPortIdentifier cpi = null;

Enumeration e = CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifiers();

while (e.hasMoreElements()) {
try {
cpi = (CommPortIdentifier) e.nextElement();
} catch (NoSuchElementException n) {}
System.out.println(cpi.getName());
}
}
public static void main(String[] args) { new CheckPort(); }

}

The program does not return any results. I'd placed the files as per
the instructions page, and as per your post on mar2. But still I get
the same display: "port COM1 not found".

The installation instructions page says: "The javax.comm.properties
file must be installed. If it is not, no ports will be found by the
system." Does this simply mean copying java.comm.properties file to
<JDK>\lib directory or something more??
Please help me resolve this issue.
Thanks a lot
Quad

Knute Johnson

quad wrote:
>> The one you downloaded won't work. I don't know what happened with the
>> other link but try this one.
>>
>> http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/...=22&PartDetail...
>>

> Thanks Mr.Johnson! I downloaded the windows version from that link,
> and copied the files in their appropriate locations:
>
> win32com.dll in <JDK>\bin directory.
>
> comm.jar in <JDK>\lib directory.
>
> javax.comm.properties in <JDK>\lib directory. (as per instructions
> given in the Java(tm) Communications API Win32 Installation
> Instructions html page that is included in the zip file.
>
> I tried executing the SimpleRead and SimpleWrite programs with serial
> port name as COM1 or COM2. It compiled without errors. But it does not
> give any output.
>
> I also tried executing the program below, which you had posted
> sometime back in this group.
>
> import java.io.*;
> import java.util.*;
> import javax.comm.*;
>
> public class CheckPort {
> public CheckPort() {
> CommPortIdentifier cpi = null;
>
> Enumeration e = CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifiers();
>
> while (e.hasMoreElements()) {
> try {
> cpi = (CommPortIdentifier) e.nextElement();
> } catch (NoSuchElementException n) {}
> System.out.println(cpi.getName());
> }
> }
> public static void main(String[] args) { new CheckPort(); }
>
> }
>
> The program does not return any results. I'd placed the files as per
> the instructions page, and as per your post on mar2. But still I get
> the same display: "port COM1 not found".
>
> The installation instructions page says: "The javax.comm.properties
> file must be installed. If it is not, no ports will be found by the
> system." Does this simply mean copying java.comm.properties file to
> <JDK>\lib directory or something more??
> Please help me resolve this issue.
> Thanks a lot
> Quad

comm.jar goes in JDK/jre/lib/ext and JRE/lib/ext
javax.comm.properties goes in JRE/lib
win32com.dll goes in JRE/bin

JDK is the base directory of your JDK installation. On my system that
is C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\

JRE is the base directory of your JRE installation. On my system that
is C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\

If any of the files are in the wrong directories it won't work even
though it may compile. All that is required for it to compile is to
have the comm.jar file in your path or the extension directory (where it
belongs). This should work for any real serial port. I don't know if
it will work with the USB->serial devices.

Let us know if you get it going.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/