Bob

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...VFeXk2ODU1OTAw

City sued over limits on photography

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

By LARRY NEUMEISTER
ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK - The New York Civil Liberties Union sued the city on
Tuesday, challenging restrictions on people's right to photograph
public places after an award-winning filmmaker from India was blocked
from videotaping near the MetLife building.

In its lawsuit, the civil rights group highlighted the plight of
Rakesh Sharma, who said he was left feeling ashamed and humiliated
when he was detained in May after police saw him use a hand-held video
camera on a public street in midtown Manhattan.

Sharma was taping background footage for a documentary examining
changes in the lives of ordinary people such as taxi drivers after the
Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

He was told he needed a permit to film on city streets and then was
denied one without explanation when he applied to the Mayor's Office
of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting, the lawsuit said. It alleged his
constitutional rights were violated.

It said he would like to resume filming but fears further police
detention and harassment.

The lawsuit seeks a declaration letting Sharma film in public places
and compensatory damages for his May encounter with police.

Gabriel Taussig, chief of the city's administrative law division, said
the city had not received the lawsuit but would evaluate it
thoroughly.

"Obviously, in this day and age, it's a high priority of New York City
to ensure safety on its public streets," he said in a statement.

The NYCLU has received other complaints about people being harassed
for taking pictures in public places, Executive Director Donna
Lieberman said.

"The NYCLU is deeply concerned about what this says about the state of
our democracy," she said. "

Siddhartha Jain

Bob wrote:
> http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...VFeXk2ODU1OTAw
>
> City sued over limits on photography
>
> Wednesday, January 11, 2006
>
> By LARRY NEUMEISTER
> ASSOCIATED PRESS
>
> NEW YORK - The New York Civil Liberties Union sued the city on
> Tuesday, challenging restrictions on people's right to photograph
> public places after an award-winning filmmaker from India was blocked
> from videotaping near the MetLife building.
>
> In its lawsuit, the civil rights group highlighted the plight of
> Rakesh Sharma, who said he was left feeling ashamed and humiliated
> when he was detained in May after police saw him use a hand-held video
> camera on a public street in midtown Manhattan.
>
> Sharma was taping background footage for a documentary examining
> changes in the lives of ordinary people such as taxi drivers after the
> Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
>
> He was told he needed a permit to film on city streets and then was
> denied one without explanation when he applied to the Mayor's Office
> of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting, the lawsuit said. It alleged his
> constitutional rights were violated.
>
> It said he would like to resume filming but fears further police
> detention and harassment.
>
> The lawsuit seeks a declaration letting Sharma film in public places
> and compensatory damages for his May encounter with police.
>
> Gabriel Taussig, chief of the city's administrative law division, said
> the city had not received the lawsuit but would evaluate it
> thoroughly.
>
> "Obviously, in this day and age, it's a high priority of New York City
> to ensure safety on its public streets," he said in a statement.
>
> The NYCLU has received other complaints about people being harassed
> for taking pictures in public places, Executive Director Donna
> Lieberman said.
>
> "The NYCLU is deeply concerned about what this says about the state of
> our democracy," she said. "

Good, the outcome (hopefully pro civil liberties) should set a
precedent for cities in democratic nations worldwide.

- Siddhartha

Celcius

Bob,

We live in an age that has become very complicated.
I suppose that 9/11, didn't help either.
We're increasingly not safe in the streets and at home.
People can get jailed on suspicions only and not get a trial for years.
Society is becoming more and more "rule-happy".

It takes more of those NYCLU's. Governments at all levels are more
preoccupied with getting re-elected than the common good.

My .02

Marcel

Crash Gordon

It would have been easier if he had gotten a permit to begin with, any
"award-winning" filmmaker would know this.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...VFeXk2ODU1OTAw

| City sued over limits on photography
|
| Wednesday, January 11, 2006
|
| By LARRY NEUMEISTER
| ASSOCIATED PRESS
|
| NEW YORK - The New York Civil Liberties Union sued the city on
| Tuesday, challenging restrictions on people's right to photograph
| public places after an award-winning filmmaker from India was blocked
| from videotaping near the MetLife building.
|
| In its lawsuit, the civil rights group highlighted the plight of
| Rakesh Sharma, who said he was left feeling ashamed and humiliated
| when he was detained in May after police saw him use a hand-held video
| camera on a public street in midtown Manhattan.
|
| Sharma was taping background footage for a documentary examining
| changes in the lives of ordinary people such as taxi drivers after the
| Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
|
| He was told he needed a permit to film on city streets and then was
| denied one without explanation when he applied to the Mayor's Office
| of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting, the lawsuit said. It alleged his
| constitutional rights were violated.
|
| It said he would like to resume filming but fears further police
| detention and harassment.
|
| The lawsuit seeks a declaration letting Sharma film in public places
| and compensatory damages for his May encounter with police.
|
| Gabriel Taussig, chief of the city's administrative law division, said
| the city had not received the lawsuit but would evaluate it
| thoroughly.
|
| "Obviously, in this day and age, it's a high priority of New York City
| to ensure safety on its public streets," he said in a statement.
|
| The NYCLU has received other complaints about people being harassed
| for taking pictures in public places, Executive Director Donna
| Lieberman said.
|
| "The NYCLU is deeply concerned about what this says about the state of
| our democracy," she said. "

Celcius

Crash,
You have a point, but are you sure?
Marcel

John A. Stovall

On 11 Jan 2006 06:24:50 -0800, "Siddhartha Jain"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snipped

>Good, the outcome (hopefully pro civil liberties) should set a
>precedent for cities in democratic nations worldwide.

You seem to have the delusion the U.S.A. is a democratic nation.

"I believe that all government is evil,
in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

From "Mencken's Creed"
H.L. Mencken (1880 -1956)

Steven Wandy

> In its lawsuit, the civil rights group highlighted the plight of
> Rakesh Sharma, who said he was left feeling ashamed and humiliated
> when he was detained in May after police saw him use a hand-held video
> camera on a public street in midtown Manhattan.

Anyone have a link to the circumstances. I live in NYC and have only heard
of problems with tripods on city streets, not hand held video or still
cameras.
(I admit I have not used a video/film camera in many years, but have spent
many
an afternoon wandering around the various boroughs with hand held still
cameras and never had a problem.)
Anyone know what he was actually filming at the time?

Jeremy Nixon

Steven Wandy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone have a link to the circumstances. I live in NYC and have only heard
> of problems with tripods on city streets, not hand held video or still
> cameras.
> (I admit I have not used a video/film camera in many years, but have spent
> many
> an afternoon wandering around the various boroughs with hand held still
> cameras and never had a problem.)

Indeed, I do that quite a bit, even late at night, and have never once had
any trouble with the NYPD. I've been harassed by cops a number of times
for daring to hold a camera in my hand, but never by NYPD. The most I've
had them do is offer to pose for pictures. (I sometimes wonder if there
is a departmental policy to present themselves as the friendliest bunch
of cops you've ever met, or if I've just been lucky.)

Once or twice they've taken a second glance at my monopod, but that's
about it. I haven't yet had one actually ask what it is; once they see
the camera they figure it out.

Naturally, now that I've posted this, I'll probably get unlucky next
time around and get shot at or something.

Or maybe I'll try to get some shots of 1PP and see how far I get with
that.

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

timeOday

Crash Gordon wrote:
> It would have been easier if he had gotten a permit to begin with, any
> "award-winning" filmmaker would know this.

Some govt. permit should be required simply to take pictures in the
"land of the free?" No way.

timeOday

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
> Steven Wandy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Anyone have a link to the circumstances. I live in NYC and have only heard
>>of problems with tripods on city streets, not hand held video or still
>>cameras.
>>(I admit I have not used a video/film camera in many years, but have spent
>>many
>>an afternoon wandering around the various boroughs with hand held still
>>cameras and never had a problem.)

> Indeed, I do that quite a bit, even late at night, and have never once had
> any trouble with the NYPD.

Here are some circumstances: your name is "Jeremy" and his is "Rakesh
Sharma."