Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Moving pictures from one collection to another in Nikon PictureProject

Moving pictures from one collection to another in Nikon PictureProject

Chuck Tribolet

I'd like to be able to move a set of selected pictures from one collection to another
in Nikon Picture Project. Since it's a MOVE, not a COPY, I want the picture not
to be in the source collection after the move. If I do Shift while I drag the pictures to
the new collection, sometimes they all disappear from the old collection like they should,
and sometimes only the first one disappears (though they all end up in the new colection).

There's got to be some magic incantation that will consistently move them.

Chuck Tribolet

Douglas W. Hoyt

Try using Windows Explorer instead.

Barry L. Wallis

Douglas W. Hoyt wrote:

> Try using Windows Explorer instead.

Or Picasa (http://picasa.google.com). I use Nikon Picture Project to
load my pictures onto my computer because I like its folder creation
auto-renaming capability. However, I use Picasa to organize them.

--
- Barry

Dennis Pogson

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
> I'd like to be able to move a set of selected pictures from one
> collection to another
> in Nikon Picture Project. Since it's a MOVE, not a COPY, I want the
> picture not
> to be in the source collection after the move. If I do Shift while I
> drag the pictures to the new collection, sometimes they all disappear
> from the old collection like they should, and sometimes only the
> first one disappears (though they all end up in the new colection).
>
> There's got to be some magic incantation that will consistently move
> them.
>

> Chuck Tribolet

In Windows Explorer, right-click and drag the files to where you want them,
you then have an option menu asking if you want to move or copy.

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:54:30 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Dennis Pogson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Chuck Tribolet wrote:
>> I'd like to be able to move a set of selected pictures from one
>> collection to another
>> in Nikon Picture Project. Since it's a MOVE, not a COPY, I want the
>> picture not
>> to be in the source collection after the move. If I do Shift while I
>> drag the pictures to the new collection, sometimes they all disappear
>> from the old collection like they should, and sometimes only the
>> first one disappears (though they all end up in the new colection).
>>
>> There's got to be some magic incantation that will consistently move
>> them.
>>

>> Chuck Tribolet

>In Windows Explorer, right-click and drag the files to where you want them,
>you then have an option menu asking if you want to move or copy.

To both posters who suggested this. This will not help the OP. Yes it
will move the files, but no it will not update the albums in PP, which
is what the OP wants to do.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Chuck Tribolet

Thanks, Ed. As the OP. you are quite right. Unfortunately, PP does not use
operating system "folders" (file system directories) for PP folders. So they
need to be moved with PP.

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:54:30 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Dennis Pogson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Chuck Tribolet wrote:
>>> I'd like to be able to move a set of selected pictures from one
>>> collection to another
>>> in Nikon Picture Project. Since it's a MOVE, not a COPY, I want the
>>> picture not
>>> to be in the source collection after the move. If I do Shift while I
>>> drag the pictures to the new collection, sometimes they all disappear
>>> from the old collection like they should, and sometimes only the
>>> first one disappears (though they all end up in the new colection).
>>>
>>> There's got to be some magic incantation that will consistently move
>>> them.
>>>

>>> Chuck Tribolet

>>In Windows Explorer, right-click and drag the files to where you want them,
>>you then have an option menu asking if you want to move or copy.

> To both posters who suggested this. This will not help the OP. Yes it
> will move the files, but no it will not update the albums in PP, which
> is what the OP wants to do.
> __________________________________________________ ______
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:13:57 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Chuck Tribolet"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks, Ed. As the OP. you are quite right. Unfortunately, PP does not use
>operating system "folders" (file system directories) for PP folders. So they
>need to be moved with PP.

I've never used PP, thought it's interface to be brain dead. But can you
just do a copy, then delete instead as a work around?
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Chuck Tribolet

I CAN do that, but it's error-prone. I've got 400 pictures on a variety of subjects
in my "Inbox" collection. They are in a mixed up sequence in the Inbox (cuz that's
they way they got taken). It's error-prone to select a set, drag them, come back,
and select the SAME set to delete.

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:13:57 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Chuck Tribolet"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Thanks, Ed. As the OP. you are quite right. Unfortunately, PP does not use
>>operating system "folders" (file system directories) for PP folders. So they
>>need to be moved with PP.

> I've never used PP, thought it's interface to be brain dead. But can you
> just do a copy, then delete instead as a work around?
> --
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 15:56:28 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Chuck Tribolet"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I CAN do that, but it's error-prone. I've got 400 pictures on a variety of subjects
>in my "Inbox" collection. They are in a mixed up sequence in the Inbox (cuz that's
>they way they got taken). It's error-prone to select a set, drag them, come back,
>and select the SAME set to delete.

First have you looked for updates? Or tried contacting Nikon Tech Support?
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...php?p_faqid=61
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Chuck Tribolet

I'm on the latest, downloaded shortly before posting here.

Next step is Nikon technical support.