Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Not many "wide-angle" compacts but, heck, many are wide-angle anyway!

Not many "wide-angle" compacts but, heck, many are wide-angle anyway!

JeffOYB@hotmail.com

Hardly any compacts are officially equivalent to a 28mm film camera
lens.

But when I went to the store today and looked at the field of view of
several compacts they sure seemed wide to me! In fact when I compared
them side to side with an DSLR with a wide-angle zoom the compacts came
out at an equivalent of 25mm on the DSLR. But they're only listed as
35-38mm. What's up? These things are wide-angle to me.

I'm talking about these compacts: Canon A520 and A610 and Sony DSC-W5.
They all seem to give a wide view like my old 28mm.

Anyone know what's really going on here?

Thanks.

--JP

=?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

> Hardly any compacts are officially equivalent to a 28mm film camera
> lens.
>
> But when I went to the store today and looked at the field of view of
> several compacts they sure seemed wide to me! In fact when I compared
> them side to side with an DSLR with a wide-angle zoom the compacts came
> out at an equivalent of 25mm on the DSLR. But they're only listed as
> 35-38mm. What's up? These things are wide-angle to me.

25mm on most DSLRs (those with APS-C size sensor) gives the same field
of view as 40mm on a 35mm film/sensor. This seems to be in line with
your observations.

--
Måns Rullgård
(E-Mail Removed)

ASAAR

On 6 Jan 2006 17:21:14 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> In fact when I compared
> them side to side with an DSLR with a wide-angle zoom the compacts came
> out at an equivalent of 25mm on the DSLR. But they're only listed as
> 35-38mm. What's up? These things are wide-angle to me.
>
> I'm talking about these compacts: Canon A520 and A610 and Sony DSC-W5.
> They all seem to give a wide view like my old 28mm.

Did that DSLR happen to have a FF sensor? If not, and you relied
on the zoom lens setting to base your 25mm on, you may have misled
yourself. If the DSLR has a sensor with a 1.5 "crop factor", a true
25mm focal length lens would be equivalent to a 37.5 mm lens mounted
on a 35mm film camera (or DSLR with a FF sensor). This would be
very close to the wide setting of the lens on an A520, A610 or W5.
Have you checked the field of view of a Canon S80 or Nikon 8400?

Mark²

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hardly any compacts are officially equivalent to a 28mm film camera
> lens.
>
> But when I went to the store today and looked at the field of view of
> several compacts they sure seemed wide to me! In fact when I compared
> them side to side with an DSLR with a wide-angle zoom the compacts
> came out at an equivalent of 25mm on the DSLR. But they're only
> listed as 35-38mm. What's up? These things are wide-angle to me.
>
> I'm talking about these compacts: Canon A520 and A610 and Sony DSC-W5.
> They all seem to give a wide view like my old 28mm.
>
> Anyone know what's really going on here?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --JP

Unless you picked up a professional, $3000-$8000 dollar Canon 1-Series DSLR
that uses a FULL FRAME sensor...which I highly doubt...you were looking at
only a portion of the frame that 25mm lens would normally project on a
film-based SLR. This is called the "crop factor" or "field of view crop"
etc., that happens with DSLRs that use a sensor which is smaller than the
35mm film frame. The result is a cropping of the outer portion of the image
teh 25mm lens was designed to project...to the tune of 1.5x or 1.6x,
depending on the body.

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hardly any compacts are officially equivalent to a 28mm film camera
> lens.
>
> But when I went to the store today and looked at the field of view of
> several compacts they sure seemed wide to me! In fact when I compared
> them side to side with an DSLR with a wide-angle zoom the compacts came
> out at an equivalent of 25mm on the DSLR. But they're only listed as
> 35-38mm. What's up? These things are wide-angle to me.

That's probably because 25mm on a typical DSLR with a 2/3 frame sensor
*is* the same angle of view as a 38mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

> I'm talking about these compacts: Canon A520 and A610 and Sony DSC-W5.
> They all seem to give a wide view like my old 28mm.
>
> Anyone know what's really going on here?

I suspect you've forgotten how wide 28mm is on a 35mm camera.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

David J Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hardly any compacts are officially equivalent to a 28mm film camera
> lens.
>
> But when I went to the store today and looked at the field of view of
> several compacts they sure seemed wide to me! In fact when I compared
> them side to side with an DSLR with a wide-angle zoom the compacts
> came out at an equivalent of 25mm on the DSLR. But they're only
> listed as 35-38mm. What's up? These things are wide-angle to me.
>
> I'm talking about these compacts: Canon A520 and A610 and Sony DSC-W5.
> They all seem to give a wide view like my old 28mm.
>
> Anyone know what's really going on here?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --JP

It sounds as if you've forgotten what your old 28mm actually did!

There are a few compact cameras with a 28mm (equivalent) wide angle, and
the Nikon 8400 and Sony DCS-R1 have a 24mm wide-angle.

As others have said, most DSLRs today crop to just the centre of the
frame, those with a 1.6 crop turning the field of view of a 24mm lens into
that of a 38mm one.

David

JeffOYB@hotmail.com

I guess I should bring in my old camera to the store. Or just test one
of their film cameras. It seems WAY NUTTY to me for makers to put
things like "18-100mm zoom" marking on their zoom barrels when that's
not what you're really getting. Unless it is a correct measurement but
just not the same as the same numbers on a film camera. I suppose
that's the case. I guess one just needs to be aware that when they get
their digiDSLR (unless it's a fancy fullframe sensor) to "28mm" that
they're not going to get the same view as their film cam set on 28mm.
Whew! Thanks for the info, everyone. I get it now. --JP

JeffOYB@hotmail.com

Thanks everyone for the helpful info! Now I know. I should make my
instore comparisons using a FILM cam.

Say, with the view-cropping factor thing, I want to be sure I have this
straight: Is what you see in the viewfinder or LCD what you're going to
see on your print/file? I hope they aren't messing too much with that!
I need some WYSIWYG. Thanks, JP

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Say, with the view-cropping factor thing, I want to be sure I have this
> straight: Is what you see in the viewfinder or LCD what you're going to
> see on your print/file?

Yes.

Well, just as with a film camera, the actual picture usually shows 5% or
so more than the viewfinder does, just to be on the safe side.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

m Ransley

The sony w5 is not wide angle at all, I wish it was I have one, but at
least it has threads and takes converters. For wide wait for Kodaks new
400$ 23mm, 180 degree panarama 3 shot auto stitch, dual lens, 23mm and
3x zoom, 5 mp camera. Worth the wait I will bet. P&S out today have a
very narrow range.