Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > About EXIF and IPTC tags

About EXIF and IPTC tags

AKA gray asphalt

A free program called "The Rename" will rename your
files with EXIF or IPTC information in batch mode.
Exifer is cool but I don't know that it does this, this well.
It will do date, size, camera model and just about everything
else.

I use it for date so that I can organize my photos in folders
by time the pic was taken. It runs on XP and I assume on
ME and maybe older because it hasn't been updated for
quite a while.

Use the "free form" modify mode which has a "pictures"
subcategory with EXIF and IPTC info.

Matt Ion

AKA gray asphalt wrote:
> A free program called "The Rename" will rename your
> files with EXIF or IPTC information in batch mode.

IrfanView will as well.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0601-2, 01/05/2006
Tested on: 1/5/2006 8:44:23 AM

norm

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:44:40 GMT, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>AKA gray asphalt wrote:
>> A free program called "The Rename" will rename your
>> files with EXIF or IPTC information in batch mode.

>IrfanView will as well.

Where does it redate with exif shooting date?
thanks

AKA gray asphalt

Sorry, I'm not sure that it can redate. I use it to
rename or add date to file name. If you are asking
about Irfanview, I'd be interested to. I like that program.
It does so many things. Have you downloaded the plugins?
I think I remember that "The Rename" does change dates
but only when you change the file name too. I'll look.

Control-D, it's under the edit menu. And it changes attributes.
Wow. I didn't know that. Cool. You have to change the file name
though. I would add something and remove it on second rename.
Little bit of a pain but it's batch mode so it won't take but a few
seconds.

"norm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:44:40 GMT, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>AKA gray asphalt wrote:
>>> A free program called "The Rename" will rename your
>>> files with EXIF or IPTC information in batch mode.

>>IrfanView will as well.
>>

> Where does it redate with exif shooting date?
> thanks

Matt Ion

norm wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:44:40 GMT, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>AKA gray asphalt wrote:
>>
>>>A free program called "The Rename" will rename your
>>>files with EXIF or IPTC information in batch mode.

>>IrfanView will as well.
>>

> Where does it redate with exif shooting date?

What, you want me to do ALL the work for you?

Select Batch, select Rename, select Set Rename Options, put in the Name
Pattern you want - click Help for a list of supported tags.

Specifically, setting the pattern to '$E306' (DateTime), '$E36867'
(DateTimeOriginal) or '$E36868' (DateTimeDigitized) should all produce a
filename consisting of the date and time the picture was shot.

Pretty much every EXIF and IPTC tag is available, including some
specific to Canon and Nikon cameras.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0601-2, 01/05/2006
Tested on: 1/5/2006 10:50:31 PM

AKA gray asphalt

Apparently Irfanview can append text to a photo.
And maybe resize the photo with a space that could
be dedicated to a EXIF date. That's kind of advanced
stuff, imo, even for document management software.
I've read there is a book out about Irfanview. If it's in
English I might buy it.

norm

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 06:50:50 GMT, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>norm wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:44:40 GMT, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>IrfanView will as well.
>>>

>> Where does it redate with exif shooting date?

>What, you want me to do ALL the work for you?
>
>Select Batch, select Rename, select Set Rename Options, put in the Name
>Pattern you want - click Help for a list of supported tags.
>
>Specifically, setting the pattern to '$E306' (DateTime), '$E36867'
>(DateTimeOriginal) or '$E36868' (DateTimeDigitized) should all produce a
>filename consisting of the date and time the picture was shot.
>
>Pretty much every EXIF and IPTC tag is available, including some
>specific to Canon and Nikon cameras.

Thanks for all the work but I want to change file date not the
filename. Back to Exifer

AKA gray asphalt

"norm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 06:50:50 GMT, Matt Ion
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>norm wrote:
>>> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:44:40 GMT, Matt Ion
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>> Where does it redate with exif shooting date?

>>What, you want me to do ALL the work for you?
>>
>>Select Batch, select Rename, select Set Rename
>>Options, put in the Name
>>Pattern you want - click Help for a list of
>>supported tags.
>>
>>Specifically, setting the pattern to '$E306'
>>(DateTime), '$E36867'
>>(DateTimeOriginal) or '$E36868'
>>(DateTimeDigitized) should all produce a
>>filename consisting of the date and time the
>>picture was shot.
>>
>>Pretty much every EXIF and IPTC tag is
>>available, including some
>>specific to Canon and Nikon cameras.

> Thanks for all the work but I want to change
> file date not the
> filename. Back to Exifer

You can change just the date in "The Rename" but
it takes two
steps and I bet Exifer does some things "TR"
can't.