Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > EOS 5D + extender 1.4 + 100-400 IS L: Will AF work?

EOS 5D + extender 1.4 + 100-400 IS L: Will AF work?

Lucas

Hi all!

At some rare occasions I could use some extra "reach" on my 5D with
100-400mm IS L. I probably got a little pampered with the extra "reach" on
my EOS Rebel (1.6 factor).
So I was thinking of buying an EF 1.4x II extender.

By now I found (if I read everything correctly):
5D-manual: central AF-point will work with lenses with maximum aperture of
5.6 and larger
100-400-manual: AF with extender will not work (at all), IS will, MF is
always possible
Website Canon USA: the extender can be used on the 100-400

Since I got a little confused about the AF-thing, I called Canon Support
Europe (I live in Holland). The nice lady on the telephone was unable to
help me: "nothing in my books about an EOS 5D: camera is too recent; the
lens with extender will AF on EOS-1-series bodies though". Sorry, I don't
own any 1-series.

BTW: I will not invest in expensive prime telephoto-lenses: for the rare
occasion they will be used, for me it is not wise to invest in those.

Any help?

Thanks!

Lucas

Aad

"Lucas" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:43baa48d$0$805$(E-Mail Removed) t.nl...
> Hi all!
>
> At some rare occasions I could use some extra "reach" on my 5D with
> 100-400mm IS L. I probably got a little pampered with the extra "reach" on
> my EOS Rebel (1.6 factor).
> So I was thinking of buying an EF 1.4x II extender.
>
> By now I found (if I read everything correctly):
> 5D-manual: central AF-point will work with lenses with maximum aperture of
> 5.6 and larger
> 100-400-manual: AF with extender will not work (at all), IS will, MF is
> always possible
> Website Canon USA: the extender can be used on the 100-400
>
> Since I got a little confused about the AF-thing, I called Canon Support
> Europe (I live in Holland). The nice lady on the telephone was unable to
> help me: "nothing in my books about an EOS 5D: camera is too recent; the
> lens with extender will AF on EOS-1-series bodies though". Sorry, I don't
> own any 1-series.
>
> BTW: I will not invest in expensive prime telephoto-lenses: for the rare
> occasion they will be used, for me it is not wise to invest in those.
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lucas

Why don't you drop by at that nice oldfashioned shop around the corner and
just try it?
Or will you 'zit voor een dubbeltje op de eerste rang'? (thats Dutch)
Aad

This old Bob

I thought only the 1D and 1DS could AF with a max aperture of f/8.0.

This old Bob

Sounds like you answered your own question: Max aperture is f/5.6 on the 5D
so the 100-400 with not AF with the Canon extender (unless you tape over the
pins, etc.).

"Lucas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43baa48d$0$805$(E-Mail Removed) t.nl...
> Hi all!
>
> At some rare occasions I could use some extra "reach" on my 5D with
> 100-400mm IS L. I probably got a little pampered with the extra "reach" on
> my EOS Rebel (1.6 factor).
> So I was thinking of buying an EF 1.4x II extender.
>
> By now I found (if I read everything correctly):
> 5D-manual: central AF-point will work with lenses with maximum aperture of
> 5.6 and larger
> 100-400-manual: AF with extender will not work (at all), IS will, MF is
> always possible
> Website Canon USA: the extender can be used on the 100-400
>
> Since I got a little confused about the AF-thing, I called Canon Support
> Europe (I live in Holland). The nice lady on the telephone was unable to
> help me: "nothing in my books about an EOS 5D: camera is too recent; the
> lens with extender will AF on EOS-1-series bodies though". Sorry, I don't
> own any 1-series.
>
> BTW: I will not invest in expensive prime telephoto-lenses: for the rare
> occasion they will be used, for me it is not wise to invest in those.
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lucas

Lucas

"Aad" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Lucas" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:43baa48d$0$805$(E-Mail Removed) t.nl...
> > Hi all!
> >
> > At some rare occasions I could use some extra "reach" on my 5D with
> > 100-400mm IS L. I probably got a little pampered with the extra "reach"

on
> > my EOS Rebel (1.6 factor).
> > So I was thinking of buying an EF 1.4x II extender.
> >
> > By now I found (if I read everything correctly):
> > 5D-manual: central AF-point will work with lenses with maximum aperture

of
> > 5.6 and larger
> > 100-400-manual: AF with extender will not work (at all), IS will, MF is
> > always possible
> > Website Canon USA: the extender can be used on the 100-400
> >
> > Since I got a little confused about the AF-thing, I called Canon Support
> > Europe (I live in Holland). The nice lady on the telephone was unable to
> > help me: "nothing in my books about an EOS 5D: camera is too recent; the
> > lens with extender will AF on EOS-1-series bodies though". Sorry, I

don't
> > own any 1-series.
> >
> > BTW: I will not invest in expensive prime telephoto-lenses: for the rare
> > occasion they will be used, for me it is not wise to invest in those.
> >
> > Any help?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Lucas
> >

> Why don't you drop by at that nice oldfashioned shop around the corner and
> just try it?
> Or will you 'zit voor een dubbeltje op de eerste rang'? (thats Dutch)
> Aad

Aad,

In my part of the country (Postal Area 45xx, Dutchmen know where this is) no
shop has the extender in stock (I checked!), so I would have to travel to a
nearby bigger city, travel at least one hour single trip, take some time to
test, return home, cost me half a day. Therefore, since there is no
"oldfashioned shop around the corner" I thought Usenet would be more
practical.
Moreover, not many dealers allow new items that are not sold in numbers to
be tested, certainly not on customers' camera's. Even the tiniest scratch on
the mount degrades the value: item is not new anymore. It seems you are
Dutch as well, you should know how this works over here...

I do not want to "sit first row for a dime" as you so eloquently stated in
Dutch, just want to be practical.
Maybe someone else can answer my question.

Thanks

Lucas

Lucas

Bob,

I would expect you are right, I just got confused by other information from
Canon, and no real help from their Customer Service. Just want to be sure
about things, hence my posting.

Lucas

"This old Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:43baac77$0$58093$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds like you answered your own question: Max aperture is f/5.6 on the

5D
> so the 100-400 with not AF with the Canon extender (unless you tape over

the
> pins, etc.).
>

> "Lucas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43baa48d$0$805$(E-Mail Removed) t.nl...
> > Hi all!
> >
> > At some rare occasions I could use some extra "reach" on my 5D with
> > 100-400mm IS L. I probably got a little pampered with the extra "reach"

on
> > my EOS Rebel (1.6 factor).
> > So I was thinking of buying an EF 1.4x II extender.
> >
> > By now I found (if I read everything correctly):
> > 5D-manual: central AF-point will work with lenses with maximum aperture

of
> > 5.6 and larger
> > 100-400-manual: AF with extender will not work (at all), IS will, MF is
> > always possible
> > Website Canon USA: the extender can be used on the 100-400
> >
> > Since I got a little confused about the AF-thing, I called Canon Support
> > Europe (I live in Holland). The nice lady on the telephone was unable to
> > help me: "nothing in my books about an EOS 5D: camera is too recent; the
> > lens with extender will AF on EOS-1-series bodies though". Sorry, I

don't
> > own any 1-series.
> >
> > BTW: I will not invest in expensive prime telephoto-lenses: for the rare
> > occasion they will be used, for me it is not wise to invest in those.
> >
> > Any help?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Lucas

Bill Hilton

The EOS-3 film body will AF (center sensor only) with min aperture of
f/8, as will the 1V, while the Elan and Rebel consumer film bodies will
only AF at f/5.6 ... I *think* the 5D is built off the EOS-3 body so if
that's true then the 5D should indeed hold AF at f/8 (ie, with the
100-400 and a 1.4x t/c). For sure my 1Ds and 1D M II bodies work at
f/8 (I shoot a 500 f/4 w/ 2x all the time) and the 10D my wife has
won't AF at f/8 (built off the Elan film body), so I'm guessing the 5D
will act like the EOS-3 ...

I don't have one so can't try it, maybe someone like Skip M can check
this ...

Bill

This old Bob

Ask in the 5D forum on www.dpreview.com

"Lucas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43bad238$0$805$(E-Mail Removed) t.nl...
> Bob,
>
> I would expect you are right, I just got confused by other information
> from
> Canon, and no real help from their Customer Service. Just want to be sure
> about things, hence my posting.
>
> Lucas
>

> "This old Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:43baac77$0$58093$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sounds like you answered your own question: Max aperture is f/5.6 on the

> 5D
>> so the 100-400 with not AF with the Canon extender (unless you tape over

> the
>> pins, etc.).
>>

>> "Lucas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:43baa48d$0$805$(E-Mail Removed) t.nl...
>> > Hi all!
>> >
>> > At some rare occasions I could use some extra "reach" on my 5D with
>> > 100-400mm IS L. I probably got a little pampered with the extra "reach"

> on
>> > my EOS Rebel (1.6 factor).
>> > So I was thinking of buying an EF 1.4x II extender.
>> >
>> > By now I found (if I read everything correctly):
>> > 5D-manual: central AF-point will work with lenses with maximum aperture

> of
>> > 5.6 and larger
>> > 100-400-manual: AF with extender will not work (at all), IS will, MF is
>> > always possible
>> > Website Canon USA: the extender can be used on the 100-400
>> >
>> > Since I got a little confused about the AF-thing, I called Canon
>> > Support
>> > Europe (I live in Holland). The nice lady on the telephone was unable
>> > help me: "nothing in my books about an EOS 5D: camera is too recent;
>> > the
>> > lens with extender will AF on EOS-1-series bodies though". Sorry, I

> don't
>> > own any 1-series.
>> >
>> > BTW: I will not invest in expensive prime telephoto-lenses: for the
>> > rare
>> > occasion they will be used, for me it is not wise to invest in those.
>> >
>> > Any help?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > Lucas

This old Bob

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> The EOS-3 film body will AF (center sensor only) with min aperture of
> f/8, as will the 1V, while the Elan and Rebel consumer film bodies will
> only AF at f/5.6 ... I *think* the 5D is built off the EOS-3 body so if
> that's true then the 5D should indeed hold AF at f/8 (ie, with the
> 100-400 and a 1.4x t/c). For sure my 1Ds and 1D M II bodies work at
> f/8 (I shoot a 500 f/4 w/ 2x all the time) and the 10D my wife has
> won't AF at f/8 (built off the Elan film body), so I'm guessing the 5D
> will act like the EOS-3 ...

Yes. Well, not only is the 5D not 1-series camera, but it's not even a 3
either.

Gormless

"Lucas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43baa48d$0$805$(E-Mail Removed) t.nl...
> Hi all!
>
> At some rare occasions I could use some extra "reach" on my 5D with
> 100-400mm IS L. I probably got a little pampered with the extra "reach" on
> my EOS Rebel (1.6 factor).

Well, by that logic all you have to do is crop the 5D pics in PhotoShop by
the equivalent of a 1.6 factor and you can have your extra reach back.