Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D50 - scratched on viewfinder

D50 - scratched on viewfinder

mapexvenus

I was cleaning the sensor of my D50 when I somehow managed to scratch
the glass directly above it which ( I think) is the viewfinder. I still
dont know how this happened, but but it happened. Now, when I look
through the viewfinder, I can see those marks clearly, but they DO NOT
appear on the picture that the camera takes, which is a HUGE relief.

Does anyone know how what I can do to fix this, how serious teh damage
will be and what t might cost to fix it? Since this does not impact the
pictures, I am in no hurry, but I do feel uneasy knowing that my
beautiful toy is damaged,

THanks!

MarkČ

mapexvenus wrote:
> I was cleaning the sensor of my D50 when I somehow managed to scratch
> the glass directly above it which ( I think) is the viewfinder. I
> still dont know how this happened, but but it happened. Now, when I
> look through the viewfinder, I can see those marks clearly, but they
> DO NOT appear on the picture that the camera takes, which is a HUGE
> relief.
>

> Does anyone know how what I can do to fix this, how serious teh damage
> will be and what t might cost to fix it? Since this does not impact
> the pictures, I am in no hurry, but I do feel uneasy knowing that my
> beautiful toy is damaged,

That's the focus screen, and it's not glass (which is why it's easy to
scratch.
It's possible that you've lodged a hair behind it, or some other debris that
appears as a scratch...or...you indeed scratched it. This will never show
on any image, but it is annoying. Focus screens can be replaced by Nikon
(or by you if it has interchangeable screens...).

mapexvenus

Thank you. I will give Nikon a call and ask get details.