Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Request for constructive feedback

Request for constructive feedback

Hoshisato

I took my Pentax *ist DS with me when I visited Japan earlier this
month and it was the first time I really used this new camera. I'm not
pretending to be more than a beginning photo enthusiast, but I would
like to have your constructive feedback to improve future photos and
I'm also looking for suggestions and tips for post processing to
improve the results.
Please have a look here for my gallery:
http://www.pictureparking.com/gallery/138

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Hoshisato" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.pictureparking.com/gallery/138

Nice pictures. Parts of Japan are very photogenic but it often requires
a bit of post-production to eliminate all those poles and things that
tend to clutter scenic places.

Most of Japan is downright ugly - the number of 'picturesque villages
can be counted on the fingers of one hand and these are probably
reconstructed for tourists.

Steering clear of ugly conurbations like Tokyo and Osaka will help too.

BTW Those persimmon will probably remain on the trees slowly rotting
unless they are part of an orchard.

The best time to visit Japan is during October or November for the
autumn colours - the sakura (cherry blossom) in spring is beautiful but
you'll find zillions of other people doing the same thing.

Hoshisato

Stewy wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "Hoshisato" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > http://www.pictureparking.com/gallery/138

> Nice pictures. Parts of Japan are very photogenic but it often requires
> a bit of post-production to eliminate all those poles and things that
> tend to clutter scenic places.
>
> Most of Japan is downright ugly - the number of 'picturesque villages
> can be counted on the fingers of one hand and these are probably
> reconstructed for tourists.
>
> Steering clear of ugly conurbations like Tokyo and Osaka will help too.
>
> BTW Those persimmon will probably remain on the trees slowly rotting
> unless they are part of an orchard.
>
> The best time to visit Japan is during October or November for the
> autumn colours - the sakura (cherry blossom) in spring is beautiful but
> you'll find zillions of other people doing the same thing.

Thanks for your feedback. Indeed it can be a problem finding areas in
Japan that have no cables or concrete honeycombed areas. I was at the
Sea of Japan side this time and it is a little bit easier there.

As for post processing, this picture has a car in the background and I
would love to remove it.
http://www.pictureparking.com/show_p....php?pid=42974
I have Photoshop Elements 3, any help is welcome.

Thanks

http://www.pictureparking.com/show_p....php?pid=42974

Martin Brown

Hoshisato wrote:

> Stewy wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>> "Hoshisato" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>http://www.pictureparking.com/gallery/138

>>Nice pictures. Parts of Japan are very photogenic but it often requires
>>a bit of post-production to eliminate all those poles and things that
>>tend to clutter scenic places.
>>
>>Most of Japan is downright ugly - the number of 'picturesque villages
>>can be counted on the fingers of one hand and these are probably
>>reconstructed for tourists.

That is a bit unkind. There are plenty of very scenic places in Japan.
Although I would not recommend some parts of the Ibaraki "scenic rocky
coast" (think old quarries with integral garbage dumps).

>>Steering clear of ugly conurbations like Tokyo and Osaka will help too.

Helps a lot. You can even find wilderness up in Aomori.

>>BTW Those persimmon will probably remain on the trees slowly rotting
>>unless they are part of an orchard.
>>
>>The best time to visit Japan is during October or November for the
>>autumn colours - the sakura (cherry blossom) in spring is beautiful but
>>you'll find zillions of other people doing the same thing.

As you do for the Autumn colours too. It is often hard to get pictures
of architecture without hoardes of people in the frame.

Kyoto, Nara and Nikko are all famously very pretty.

> Thanks for your feedback. Indeed it can be a problem finding areas in
> Japan that have no cables or concrete honeycombed areas. I was at the
> Sea of Japan side this time and it is a little bit easier there.
>
> As for post processing, this picture has a car in the background and I
> would love to remove it.
> http://www.pictureparking.com/show_p....php?pid=42974
> I have Photoshop Elements 3, any help is welcome.

Any of the packages that allow you to select regions of a similar colour
and a clone brush to add more hedge on top of the offending car. With a
good steady hand you can do it with a combination of airbrush and clone.

Regards,
Martin Brown