Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > HP 6100C, WinXP Pro, and VueScan

HP 6100C, WinXP Pro, and VueScan

Maurice B via PhotoKB.com

First, I've never been able to get WinXP to list that I have the HP 6100C
installed because I can't get through the Scanner/Camera Installation
Wizzard's (i.e. Control Panel, Scanners and Cameras, Add an Imaging Device)
"Which scanner camera do you want to install". If I insert the original
installation CD and point "Brouse" to the CD player, I get the message "Can
not find any information about the hardware" and if I go the hard drive and
the unziped files from HP for WinXp I still get the same message. In
fustration, I ran the setup executable from the original CD which installed
DeskScan II in a folder on the C drive and I created a shorcut to the
executable and updated the drivers and SCSI interface for WinXP. Under
WinXP this seems to work fine if I use DeskScan, however, if I try to use
VueScan it only initiates a scan which is immediately terminated. In another
thread

http://www.photokb.com/Uwe/Forum.asp...00C-Windows-XP

both EHL and JIMMY appear to have their HP 6100C scanners working with WinXP
and both are using VueScan successfully, however, they can't get DeskScan to
work with this scanner.

I suspect that they have been able to get WinXp to recognize the HP 6100C and
list it under "Scanners and Cameras" which would be one difference. Also, I
am not sure what version of VueScan either one of them uses and I know that
one of them uses a different SCSI interface ("My SCSI interface is an ADAPTEC
USBExchange device") while mine is a Symbios 54 (416 PnP Adapter). I would
really like to resolve this issue and get both VueScan to operate the scanner
as well as get WinXp Pro to list the Scanner under "Scanners and Cameras" in
the control panel. I'd contact EHL and JIMMY if I knew how to get ahold of
them so if anyone can help, I would appreciate it!