Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo Scanning Service

Photo Scanning Service

Jaqian

Hi All,
I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm thinking of offering a Photo
Scanning Service in my area, I have, IMO a good bit experince scanning
my own familes photos (over 3000 images to date) using the HP 5500 (it
has an automatic photo feeder suitable for 6x4" photos).

What I hope to do is take people's cherished memories or rare old
family pics and back them up onto cd. Then if anything happens they
have a digital copy or they can use the cd to print off copies etc.

What I was wondering though is what to charge? To scan 30 6x4" photos
only takes 5min but to scan old photos that are different shapes, sizes
and condition can take upto 5min per/photo.

What would you suggest as a charge?

Joseph Meehan

Jaqian wrote:

> What would you suggest as a charge?

Take a look around in your area and find out what others are charging.
That is your starting point. I would expect that you will end up with two
prices, one for straight scans and one for those that require work.

For those that require work I would offer two prices, one for standard
"automatic" fixes and one for custom repairs, and that one would be an
hourly charge.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Jaqian

There is no other service. Before I went into the expense of buying the
scanner etc I looked into someone else scaning them for me I couldn't
find any scanning service in Dublin apart from some corporate services
like SoftCo. I shudder to think what they'd charge and beside they're
mainly OCR scanning.

Joseph Meehan

Jaqian wrote:
> There is no other service. Before I went into the expense of buying
> the scanner etc I looked into someone else scaning them for me I
> couldn't find any scanning service in Dublin apart from some
> corporate services like SoftCo. I shudder to think what they'd charge
> and beside they're mainly OCR scanning.

Interesting. I know a little place in Dun Laoglaire that used to do it,
but I have not been there for several years. I suspect that some camera
shops or office copy centers offer the service. It may be that your real
opportunity is in getting the word out that you offer the service.

As for price, I suggest you can start by deciding how much you need to
make it worth your time. Be sure to add in all the overhead cost and a true
estimate of the amount of time it will cost you including not only the
actual work, but the time spent with the customer and sales cost etc.
Advertising may be a big expense if you are going to keep busy.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

tomm42

Check pro labs and you will really shutter at the prices. Here it is
$25 and up for single documents, $35 for large transparencies. Joseph
is right you should charge different prices.
1. A simple scan
2. Scan with some automatic fixes, up to 1 hour of work
3. Hourly work on a picture.

How are you going to get your name out?
Did this a while back, thorough a camera shop, found that clients
either loved the work or hated it. Had one customer with a very faded
picture of her mother, color was awful, I got the mother looking
presentable, the plant and the table she was next to looking good, Had
no idea what the wood panneling in the background was so I just added
some saturation, I thought for what I received it looked great. The
client comes by and refuses to pay because the panneling was the wrong
color, THEN says she wants the print anyway (without paying for it) to
show her husband how bad it was. Wasn't going to fall for that, then
she says she'll call her cousin the police chief and tell him I ripped
her off (hadn't paid a thing). I luckily had just done a job for her
cousin that he had liked very much. So be on guard.

good luck
Tom