Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Updated Gallery

Updated Gallery

PcB

Braved the sub-zero temperatures here in N-E England yesterday for a couple
of hours; the early results of which I have added to my gallery. Comments &
Critiques always welcome, particularly anything on how better to set the
gallery page up - I am no web designer and things are getting a little
extended.

The gallery is at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/NewGallery2.htm

--
Paul ============}
o o

// Live fast, die old //
Gallery at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/NewGallery2.htm

Derek Fountain

PcB wrote:
> Braved the sub-zero temperatures here in N-E England yesterday for a couple
> of hours; the early results of which I have added to my gallery. Comments &
> Critiques always welcome, particularly anything on how better to set the
> gallery page up - I am no web designer and things are getting a little
> extended.

You need to start again with the web page. Here's how it looks on Firefox:

http://www.derekfountain.org/misc/snapshot1.png

Have a search of this newgroup for threads about programs that will
generate galleries for you. There have been a couple recently.

The thumbnails imply there's some great work there, but since the
website doesn't work with Javascript turned off I can't see them. I
don't turn Javascript on for arbitary websites that I see linked from
news groups.

Since you clearly have ability with a camera, and you're prepared to go
out and freeze your nuts off getting shots, spending a bit more effort
on delivery so people can see your work would be well worth your effort.

Tim

> PcB wrote:
>> Braved the sub-zero temperatures here in N-E England yesterday for a
>> couple of hours; the early results of which I have added to my
>> gallery. Comments & Critiques always welcome, particularly anything
>> on how better to set the gallery page up - I am no web designer and
>> things are getting a little extended.

> You need to start again with the web page. Here's how it looks on
> Firefox:
> http://www.derekfountain.org/misc/snapshot1.png
>
> Have a search of this newgroup for threads about programs that will
> generate galleries for you. There have been a couple recently.
>
> The thumbnails imply there's some great work there, but since the
> website doesn't work with Javascript turned off I can't see them. I
> don't turn Javascript on for arbitary websites that I see linked from
> news groups.
>
> Since you clearly have ability with a camera, and you're prepared to
> go out and freeze your nuts off getting shots, spending a bit more
> effort on delivery so people can see your work would be well worth your
> effort.

The pop up windows don't work properly in Firefox or IE

The images display at a reduced size and then if you click and expand them
the window dosen't resize to suit

FWIW here's my site http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ the pics
aren't up to much they're just holiday snaps but it might give you ideas for
a cleaner layout - it's not finished yet so it looks a bit empty at the
front end

A site I just found this morning has a more casual layout (and rather better
pictures) http://jack.cameraphile.org/gallery/albums.php the layout is
pretty clean and it's informative

HTH

Tim

Waterspider

"Tim" <no http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Kn9tf.16905$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> FWIW here's my site http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ the pics
> aren't up to much they're just holiday snaps but it might give you ideas
> for a cleaner layout - it's not finished yet so it looks a bit empty at
> the front end

Tim, don't change a thing, it's beautiful. I love the monochrome background,
the clean, sparse type, the simplicity.
It's too easy to clutter up a website so most folks do so. With photography,
the idea is to showcase the art and you've done a fabulous job. Plus your
photos are drop-dead gorgeous.

Thinking of your site, you might be able to do a totally wordless navigation
system, if you had enough appropriate photos to provide intuitive clues to
the organization. I don't know if it's possible, but it might be fun to play
with.

Waterspider

www.penderharbour.org

PcB

=> PcB wrote:
=>> Braved the sub-zero temperatures here in N-E England yesterday for a
=>> couple of hours; the early results of which I have added to my
=>> gallery. Comments & Critiques always welcome, particularly anything
=>> on how better to set the gallery page up - I am no web designer and
=>> things are getting a little extended.
=>
=
[...]

Derek / Tim,

Thanks for the feedback, as I said I am no web designer but it certainly
sounds like I need to do more work here - I wasn't happy with the default
gallery formats from the software and tried something home-brewed instead
(unfortunately it looks OK on my version of IE).

Thanks for looking and commenting, guess my work for the next few weeks is
to get a decent gallery page ... at least it's still mid-winter.

Paul
--
Paul ============}
o o

// Live fast, die old //
Gallery at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/NewGallery2.htm

Tim

> "Tim" <no (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Kn9tf.16905$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>

>> FWIW here's my site http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ the
>> pics aren't up to much they're just holiday snaps but it might give
>> you ideas for a cleaner layout - it's not finished yet so it looks a
>> bit empty at the front end

> Tim, don't change a thing, it's beautiful. I love the monochrome
> background, the clean, sparse type, the simplicity.
> It's too easy to clutter up a website so most folks do so. With
> photography, the idea is to showcase the art and you've done a
> fabulous job. Plus your photos are drop-dead gorgeous.
>
> Thinking of your site, you might be able to do a totally wordless
> navigation system, if you had enough appropriate photos to provide
> intuitive clues to the organization. I don't know if it's possible,
> but it might be fun to play with.
>
> Waterspider
>
> www.penderharbour.org

Hi Waterspider

My apologies - I forgot to say thank you for your appreciation

So thank you

Cheers

Tim

Tim

>> "Tim" <no (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Kn9tf.16905$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>

>>> FWIW here's my site http://www.timdenning.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ the
>>> pics aren't up to much they're just holiday snaps but it might give
>>> you ideas for a cleaner layout - it's not finished yet so it looks a
>>> bit empty at the front end

>> Tim, don't change a thing, it's beautiful. I love the monochrome
>> background, the clean, sparse type, the simplicity.
>> It's too easy to clutter up a website so most folks do so. With
>> photography, the idea is to showcase the art and you've done a
>> fabulous job. Plus your photos are drop-dead gorgeous.
>>
>> Thinking of your site, you might be able to do a totally wordless
>> navigation system, if you had enough appropriate photos to provide
>> intuitive clues to the organization. I don't know if it's possible,
>> but it might be fun to play with.
>>
>> Waterspider
>>
>> www.penderharbour.org

> Hi Waterspider
>
> My apologies - I forgot to say thank you for your appreciation
>
> So thank you
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim

And while I'm at it PcB good luck with your site

Jeeze someone stole both my brain cells

RobG

"Tim" <no (E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Jeeze someone stole both my brain cells

What, you got TWO; you lucky, lucky bast... (c:

RobG

PcB

I am setting-up an account with Flickr at present and have dropped some of
the better images to http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcbradley/ as a stop-gap.
I will then decide what to do with the original gallery.

Thanks to all for the very positive feedback (100% of respondents thought
the images were OK and the site was very poor. As I always considered myself
more of a photographer than a web designer I *should* be happy ...<g>).

And nice work, Tim.

Paul