Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > best storage media

best storage media

Bolshoy Huy

What is the best photo storage and hd back-up media now?
Before the best option was tape.
Then when hd's were 500mb, and when 1mp or 2mp cameras where used,
100mb ZIPs seemed fine.
ZIP storage capacity is 100, 250, 750mb, the disks could be used just
like floppies;
However, the proprietary media at a cost of $9/100mb disk is just about
dead.
Then when hd's went above 1GB, JAZ and CD-R's were used.
Then Iomega's JAZ, LS-120, Shark, and Syquest died off, and we were
left with 5gb+ hd's
backed up to 700mb CD-Rs(fine until hd's went above 20gb.)
Then recordable DVDs came out.
200 RAW pics could be stored on a 700mb CD-R. Is it wise to risk
storing more than
that on DVDs?

Bucky

Bolshoy Huy wrote:
> What is the best photo storage and hd back-up media now?

You'll get differing opinions, but my preference is to back up to
another hard disk. They're going for about 4GB per dollar nowadays.
Much faster than DVD, and easier to manage, since all the data is on
one HD instead of dozens of slow media.

Jim

"Bucky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Bolshoy Huy wrote:
>> What is the best photo storage and hd back-up media now?

> You'll get differing opinions, but my preference is to back up to
> another hard disk. They're going for about 4GB per dollar nowadays.
> Much faster than DVD, and easier to manage, since all the data is on
> one HD instead of dozens of slow media.

And, HDs are much more reliable that CDs or DVDs. HD tecnology has come a
long ways in the last few years.
Jim

HerHusband

> What is the best photo storage and hd back-up media now?

I have two external USB 40 Gig hard drives I use for backups. This way,
they are not connected to the computer should I get a virus, power glitch,
or whatever. I keep one near the computer for convenient backups, and keep
the second in a safe deposit box off site to protect against fire, theft,
etc. Once a month or so, I'll swap the off site drive with the local drive.

Every few months or so, I also backup my system to DVD-R disks (currently
takes me about 2 disks, using compression).

In some cases, a file can be corrupted without my knowledge. I may make
multiple backups without realizing it, which overwrites the good backup
with the corrupted copy. I may not notice till I open a file months or
years later that the backup is corrupted. The DVD-R backup let's me recover
old files like this if I need to. And, having multiple generations of DVD-R
backups offers decent protection in cases where the disks go bad (they do).

Anthony