Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Technology... BAH! Humbug!

Technology... BAH! Humbug!

Matt Ion

So as an anniversary gift last March, my wife bought me the iP6000D
printer I'd been admiring. Nice printer, I love it. Well worth the
CDN$300 as far as I'm concerned.

Went out this morning for the Boxing Day sales... saw they're blowing
out the iP6000Ds for $99.95.

Guh.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0551-6, 12/24/2005
Tested on: 12/26/2005 3:27:11 PM

CeeBee

Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> So as an anniversary gift last March, my wife bought me the iP6000D
> printer I'd been admiring. Nice printer, I love it. Well worth the
> CDN$300 as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Went out this morning for the Boxing Day sales... saw they're blowing
> out the iP6000Ds for $99.95.

A full nine months before the price drop. That's quite a long time for this
kind of stuff, as you are well aware of. Mostly price drops occur in three
or four months - tops. Not much to complain about, really.

--
CeeBee

*** The Cookie Has Spoken ***

Little Green Eyed Dragon

In article <u%_rf.192053$ki.63899@pd7tw2no>,
Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So as an anniversary gift last March, my wife bought me the iP6000D
> printer I'd been admiring. Nice printer, I love it. Well worth the
> CDN$300 as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Went out this morning for the Boxing Day sales... saw they're blowing
> out the iP6000Ds for $99.95.
>
> Guh.

The only problem is if you did not get the 200.00 out of it before
the sale,......well did you?????
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

Pod

"Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> So as an anniversary gift last March, my wife bought me the iP6000D printer
> I'd been admiring. Nice printer, I love it. Well worth the CDN$300 as far
> as I'm concerned.
>
> Went out this morning for the Boxing Day sales... saw they're blowing out
> the iP6000Ds for $99.95.
>
> Guh.
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0551-6, 12/24/2005
> Tested on: 12/26/2005 3:27:11 PM

I am so sad for you, you must be devastated.

Matt Ion

CeeBee wrote:
> Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in rec.photo.digital:
>

>>So as an anniversary gift last March, my wife bought me the iP6000D
>>printer I'd been admiring. Nice printer, I love it. Well worth the
>>CDN$300 as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>Went out this morning for the Boxing Day sales... saw they're blowing
>>out the iP6000Ds for $99.95.

> A full nine months before the price drop. That's quite a long time for this
> kind of stuff, as you are well aware of. Mostly price drops occur in three
> or four months - tops. Not much to complain about, really.

Yeah, but not that much of a drop!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0551-6, 12/24/2005
Tested on: 12/26/2005 7:48:23 PM

Mark˛

Matt Ion wrote:
> So as an anniversary gift last March, my wife bought me the iP6000D
> printer I'd been admiring. Nice printer, I love it. Well worth the
> CDN$300 as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Went out this morning for the Boxing Day sales... saw they're blowing
> out the iP6000Ds for $99.95.
>
> Guh.

So...
....Buy another one!

Matt Ion

Mark˛ wrote:
> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>>So as an anniversary gift last March, my wife bought me the iP6000D
>>printer I'd been admiring. Nice printer, I love it. Well worth the
>>CDN$300 as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>Went out this morning for the Boxing Day sales... saw they're blowing
>>out the iP6000Ds for $99.95.
>>
>>Guh.

> So...
> ...Buy another one!

Thought about that... would be cheaper than the price of replacing all
the ink. Well... okay, it would be about the same

Oh well, they were sold out already.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0551-6, 12/24/2005
Tested on: 12/26/2005 11:03:21 PM

RustYŠ

"Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Went out this morning for the Boxing Day sales... saw they're blowing
> out the iP6000Ds for $99.95.

That will be to clear the shelves for the new model which will be twice as
good and only half the price.

Technology and price dropping - learn to live with it.

CeeBee

Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in rec.photo.digital:

> Yeah, but not that much of a drop!

The drop is relatively mild, and especially over such a long time. It goes
for almost all components.

I bought 512MB memory for around EUR 200, and half a year later I could take
it home for EUR 80.

IIRC in early 1996 or so I bought a top of the line Pentium II at 200MHz for
2100 guilders; four months later it priced under 800 guilders.

I saw my iPAQ hx4700 in January listed for EUR 650. One and a half month
later you could buy it for EUR 400 at some places already. That's a 250
drop, nearly 40% off.

Maybe you're all new to buying computer parts. Prepare yourself for a very
rough ride......

--
CeeBee

*** The Cookie Has Spoken ***

Ron Hunter

CeeBee wrote:
> Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in rec.photo.digital:
>

>> Yeah, but not that much of a drop!

> The drop is relatively mild, and especially over such a long time. It goes
> for almost all components.
>
> I bought 512MB memory for around EUR 200, and half a year later I could take
> it home for EUR 80.
>
> IIRC in early 1996 or so I bought a top of the line Pentium II at 200MHz for
> 2100 guilders; four months later it priced under 800 guilders.
>
> I saw my iPAQ hx4700 in January listed for EUR 650. One and a half month
> later you could buy it for EUR 400 at some places already. That's a 250
> drop, nearly 40% off.
>
> Maybe you're all new to buying computer parts. Prepare yourself for a very
> rough ride......

Flash ram has dropped to 1/6 what it was in less than 18 months. But
the most dramatic drop is in HD price per/Gigabyte. The first 1GB
drives were $2200 (USD). Now HD space is about $.39/Gigabyte!
My brother has a 1.3 megapixel camera (Olympus) that cost $500 new. Now
you can find a 3 mp camera with great movie mode, and a 3x optical zoom
for $130!