Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Five megapixels derived from FF sensor?

Five megapixels derived from FF sensor?

Rich

What would such a camera cost?
It's sensor would essentially be a section of
a current FF sensor, but with 2800x1800 pixels.
IMO, they could put out a P&S with such a sensor
for about $700. This would produce excellent images,
low noise and sufficient resolution for most photographic
tasks. The sensor would be approx. 20mm x 13mm in size.
A P&S, with a fast lens (f2) and a max zoom of say a
35mm equiv. of 35mm to 100mm and basic manual and automatic
controls would be a good product and relatively portable. Could be
the ultimate easy carry camera.
-Rich

John A. Stovall

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:48:27 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What would such a camera cost?

Who cares what it would cost. Who would bother to buy it?

"He that we last as Thurn and Taxis knew
Now recks no lord but the stiletto's Thorn,
And Tacit lies the gold once-knotted horn.
No hallowed skein of stars can ward, I trow,
Who's once been set his tryst with Trystero."

"The Crying of Lot 49"
Thomas Pynchon

Bill Hilton

>Rich asks ...
>
>It's sensor would essentially be a section of
>a current FF sensor, but with 2800x1800 pixels.

Why bring out a 5 Mpixel camera with a sensor this large?

>The sensor would be approx. 20mm x 13mm in size.

This is similar in size to the sensor used in the new Sony DCS-R1,
which is 21.5 X 14.4mm but has over 10 Mpixels instead of only 5. 20mm
x 13mm is only slightly larger than the Oly 4/3 sensor and they are
also packing 8 Mpixels into that one.

>A P&S, with a fast lens (f2) and a max zoom of say a
>35mm equiv. of 35mm to 100mm ..

The R1 has a 24-120mm equiv focal length zoom but a bit slower, f/2.8
/4.8 ...

>What would such a camera cost? ... they could put out a P&S
>with such a sensor for about $700

Could be, but the Sony is selling for $1,000 with twice the megpixels
and a wider zoom range so I doubt the camera you describe would find
much of a market unless it is very light and compact ... you want an
f/2 lens and I think that will kill off 'light' and 'portable' too ...

David Dyer-Bennet

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> >Rich asks ...
> >
> >It's sensor would essentially be a section of
> >a current FF sensor, but with 2800x1800 pixels.

> Why bring out a 5 Mpixel camera with a sensor this large?
>
> >The sensor would be approx. 20mm x 13mm in size.

> This is similar in size to the sensor used in the new Sony DCS-R1,
> which is 21.5 X 14.4mm but has over 10 Mpixels instead of only 5. 20mm
> x 13mm is only slightly larger than the Oly 4/3 sensor and they are
> also packing 8 Mpixels into that one.

Yes, but it's clearl too much. The idea would be to make a *low
noise* camera.

I'd want a 24-120mm f2 lens minimum, though.

Marvin

Rich wrote:
> What would such a camera cost?
> It's sensor would essentially be a section of
> a current FF sensor, but with 2800x1800 pixels.
> IMO, they could put out a P&S with such a sensor
> for about $700. This would produce excellent images,
> low noise and sufficient resolution for most photographic
> tasks. The sensor would be approx. 20mm x 13mm in size.
> A P&S, with a fast lens (f2) and a max zoom of say a
> 35mm equiv. of 35mm to 100mm and basic manual and automatic
> controls would be a good product and relatively portable. Could be
> the ultimate easy carry camera.
> -Rich

Why don't you go into business and do it?

Rich

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:39:15 GMT, John A. Stovall
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:48:27 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>What would such a camera cost?

>Who cares what it would cost. Who would bother to buy it?

Someone who doesn't want to carry a DSLR all the time.
Same people who've bought the less than inspiring Fuji
T10, because it had low noise.
-Rich

Rich

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:16:38 -0500, Marvin <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>> What would such a camera cost?
>> It's sensor would essentially be a section of
>> a current FF sensor, but with 2800x1800 pixels.
>> IMO, they could put out a P&S with such a sensor
>> for about $700. This would produce excellent images,
>> low noise and sufficient resolution for most photographic
>> tasks. The sensor would be approx. 20mm x 13mm in size.
>> A P&S, with a fast lens (f2) and a max zoom of say a
>> 35mm equiv. of 35mm to 100mm and basic manual and automatic
>> controls would be a good product and relatively portable. Could be
>> the ultimate easy carry camera.
>> -Rich

>Why don't you go into business and do it?

Sure. What does a sensor fab cost, about $1.5B?
-Rich

John A. Stovall

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 13:53:39 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:39:15 GMT, John A. Stovall
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:48:27 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>What would such a camera cost?

>>Who cares what it would cost. Who would bother to buy it?

>Someone who doesn't want to carry a DSLR all the time.
>Same people who've bought the less than inspiring Fuji
>T10, because it had low noise.

Their lose...

"...bray a fool in a morter with wheat,
yet shall not his folly be beaten out of him;.."

"The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"
William Blake

Bill Funk

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 13:53:39 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:39:15 GMT, John A. Stovall
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:48:27 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>What would such a camera cost?

>>Who cares what it would cost. Who would bother to buy it?

>Someone who doesn't want to carry a DSLR all the time.
>Same people who've bought the less than inspiring Fuji
>T10, because it had low noise.
>-Rich

F10?
Fuji is not marketing a T10 that I can see.

Low noise is not the be-all and end-all of cameras.
Loast of people don't want to carry DSLRs all the time.
But remember, the larger the sensor, the larger the camera must be to
hold a decent range zoom lens with a wide aperture. Wanting low noise
adds to the size of the sensor, and, thus, the size of the lens,
which, in turn, makes the camera larger.
Maybe the R1 is what you're looking for? But you might as well be
carrying a DSLR.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 13:55:11 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:16:38 -0500, Marvin <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Rich wrote:
>>> What would such a camera cost?
>>> It's sensor would essentially be a section of
>>> a current FF sensor, but with 2800x1800 pixels.
>>> IMO, they could put out a P&S with such a sensor
>>> for about $700. This would produce excellent images,
>>> low noise and sufficient resolution for most photographic
>>> tasks. The sensor would be approx. 20mm x 13mm in size.
>>> A P&S, with a fast lens (f2) and a max zoom of say a
>>> 35mm equiv. of 35mm to 100mm and basic manual and automatic
>>> controls would be a good product and relatively portable. Could be
>>> the ultimate easy carry camera.
>>> -Rich

>>Why don't you go into business and do it?

>Sure. What does a sensor fab cost, about $1.5B?
>-Rich

You could buy the sensors. If someone would make them.
Which brings up the point that, if the camera makers are all the
greedy bastards some think them to be, or at the least good managers
of the companies with the well-being of the stockholders in mind, why
isn't such a camera being offered now? The technology is certainly
there.