Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Meaning of "new and factory sealed condition" for A520

Meaning of "new and factory sealed condition" for A520

allenjo5@mail.northgrum.com

I just received a Canon Powershot A520 from pcnation.com. It arrived
quickly and seems to be in "new" condition. However, the box it came
in is not in fact sealed in any way, either shrink wrapped or
security-taped, which I thought was a bit suspicious. The contents all
seem intact and not previously opened (cables, panasonic batteries, zip
locked bag of manuals, 16 MB MMCard, wrist strap). The camera itself
however was only in a bubble wrap type pouch. After examining it, it
seems in excellent condition in that there are no scratches or
blemishes of any kind on the case. However, the telescoping lens
sleeves have some fine but fairly noticable horizontal striations
across the front of them. Now, either this was incurred in the
original manufacturing, or it happened after that, either because this
camera was used and returned before or because it is refurbished. The
fine scratches may only be cosmetic, but they are a bit annoying for a
"new" item. The camera seems to function ok, but I've only taken a few
pictures and not examined them in detail yet.

I have yet to call pcnation, but this product was billed as being in
"new and factory sealed condition".

My question is: does anyone have first hand knowledge about what a
truly new and factory sealed A520 looks like? Is the box supposed to
be shrink wrapped?

Thanks for any thoughts...

John.

MarkČ

> I just received a Canon Powershot A520 from pcnation.com. It arrived
> quickly and seems to be in "new" condition. However, the box it came
> in is not in fact sealed in any way, either shrink wrapped or
> security-taped, which I thought was a bit suspicious. The contents
> all seem intact and not previously opened (cables, panasonic
> batteries, zip locked bag of manuals, 16 MB MMCard, wrist strap).
> The camera itself however was only in a bubble wrap type pouch.
> After examining it, it seems in excellent condition in that there are
> no scratches or blemishes of any kind on the case. However, the
> telescoping lens sleeves have some fine but fairly noticable
> horizontal striations across the front of them. Now, either this was
> incurred in the original manufacturing, or it happened after that,
> either because this camera was used and returned before or because it
> is refurbished. The fine scratches may only be cosmetic, but they
> are a bit annoying for a "new" item. The camera seems to function
> ok, but I've only taken a few pictures and not examined them in
> detail yet.
>
> I have yet to call pcnation, but this product was billed as being in
> "new and factory sealed condition".
>
> My question is: does anyone have first hand knowledge about what a
> truly new and factory sealed A520 looks like? Is the box supposed to
> be shrink wrapped?

Canon does not shrink-wrap their boxes. While some add a special logo tape
over the opening of the box, Canon does not. The camera's booklet, cables
and batteries should have been in plastic bags, and the batteries should be
shrink-wrapped.

-Mark

spo

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> My question is: does anyone have first hand knowledge about what a
> truly new and factory sealed A520 looks like? Is the box supposed to
> be shrink wrapped?

I recently took delivery of a new Canon A620 and, like you, I was
surprised that the box had no shrink-wrap or other covering, and was
concerned that it might have been opened for some reason.
However, nothing appeared to have been tampered with, and nothing was
missing. All was well

allenjo5@mail.northgrum.com

Thanks guys. It's good to know that Canon doesn't shrink-wrap their
boxes. Now I don't feel so all alone

Nomen Nescio

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just received a Canon Powershot A520 from pcnation.com. It arrived
> quickly and seems to be in "new" condition. However, the box it came
> in is not in fact sealed in any way, either shrink wrapped or
> security-taped, which I thought was a bit suspicious. The contents all
> seem intact and not previously opened (cables, panasonic batteries, zip
> locked bag of manuals, 16 MB MMCard, wrist strap). The camera itself
> however was only in a bubble wrap type pouch. After examining it, it
> seems in excellent condition in that there are no scratches or
> blemishes of any kind on the case. However, the telescoping lens
> sleeves have some fine but fairly noticable horizontal striations
> across the front of them. Now, either this was incurred in the
> original manufacturing, or it happened after that, either because this
> camera was used and returned before or because it is refurbished. The
> fine scratches may only be cosmetic, but they are a bit annoying for a
> "new" item. The camera seems to function ok, but I've only taken a few
> pictures and not examined them in detail yet.
>
> I have yet to call pcnation, but this product was billed as being in
> "new and factory sealed condition".
>
> My question is: does anyone have first hand knowledge about what a
> truly new and factory sealed A520 looks like? Is the box supposed to
> be shrink wrapped?

Non of the Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic
cameras are shrink wrapped. Normally it's only Fuji that does.

..

RobG

"Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>Normally it's only Fuji that does.

Not in Aus, they don't. I'm a scale modeller, and kit packaging varies
between countries, even from the same manufacturer.

RobG
"Just take the damn photo"

Bob Williams

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I just received a Canon Powershot A520 from pcnation.com. It arrived
> quickly and seems to be in "new" condition. However, the box it came
> in is not in fact sealed in any way, either shrink wrapped or
> security-taped, which I thought was a bit suspicious. The contents all
> seem intact and not previously opened (cables, panasonic batteries, zip
> locked bag of manuals, 16 MB MMCard, wrist strap). The camera itself
> however was only in a bubble wrap type pouch. After examining it, it
> seems in excellent condition in that there are no scratches or
> blemishes of any kind on the case. However, the telescoping lens
> sleeves have some fine but fairly noticable horizontal striations
> across the front of them. Now, either this was incurred in the
> original manufacturing, or it happened after that, either because this
> camera was used and returned before or because it is refurbished. The
> fine scratches may only be cosmetic, but they are a bit annoying for a
> "new" item. The camera seems to function ok, but I've only taken a few
> pictures and not examined them in detail yet.
>
> I have yet to call pcnation, but this product was billed as being in
> "new and factory sealed condition".
>
> My question is: does anyone have first hand knowledge about what a
> truly new and factory sealed A520 looks like? Is the box supposed to
> be shrink wrapped?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts...
>
> John.

Take a picture and see if the the image number is XXX.0001 or something
like that. If the number is XXX.0018 or similar, it has been used.
There is usually a way to reset the numbering system but if the store
clerk is clueless or lazy, he may not have done so.
If the number is XXX.0001, that does not guarantee it is NOT used. But
if the number is XXX.0018, that does guarantee that the camera WAS used.
Bob Williams

allenjo5@mail.northgrum.com

Yup, my first picture was 100-0001. So that's another good sign.

Dave Cohen

"Bob Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I just received a Canon Powershot A520 from pcnation.com. It arrived
>> quickly and seems to be in "new" condition. However, the box it came
>> in is not in fact sealed in any way, either shrink wrapped or
>> security-taped, which I thought was a bit suspicious. The contents all
>> seem intact and not previously opened (cables, panasonic batteries, zip
>> locked bag of manuals, 16 MB MMCard, wrist strap). The camera itself
>> however was only in a bubble wrap type pouch. After examining it, it
>> seems in excellent condition in that there are no scratches or
>> blemishes of any kind on the case. However, the telescoping lens
>> sleeves have some fine but fairly noticable horizontal striations
>> across the front of them. Now, either this was incurred in the
>> original manufacturing, or it happened after that, either because this
>> camera was used and returned before or because it is refurbished. The
>> fine scratches may only be cosmetic, but they are a bit annoying for a
>> "new" item. The camera seems to function ok, but I've only taken a few
>> pictures and not examined them in detail yet.
>>
>> I have yet to call pcnation, but this product was billed as being in
>> "new and factory sealed condition".
>>
>> My question is: does anyone have first hand knowledge about what a
>> truly new and factory sealed A520 looks like? Is the box supposed to
>> be shrink wrapped? Thanks for any thoughts...
>>
>> John.
>>

> Take a picture and see if the the image number is XXX.0001 or something
> like that. If the number is XXX.0018 or similar, it has been used.
> There is usually a way to reset the numbering system but if the store
> clerk is clueless or lazy, he may not have done so.
> If the number is XXX.0001, that does not guarantee it is NOT used. But if
> the number is XXX.0018, that does guarantee that the camera WAS used.
> Bob Williams

Taking Bob's post a step further, both my canon A cameras required the date
to be set. Supposedly the later A cameras use an internal rechargable to
maintain settings. I can't figure out where this internal battery is on my
A95, but manual says to leave the 4 AA's in for a while to give it a first
charge. My A40 used an accessable watch type cell.
Dave Cohen

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Nomen Nescio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1135304154.08b042f0b296fb700a5a94087983d2ad@r oc.usenetexchange.com...

> Non of the Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic
> cameras are shrink wrapped. Normally it's only Fuji that does.

I've purchased two new, never-used, and never opened Fuji digicams (here in
the USA) and neither were shrinkwrapped.