Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Suggestions for software to download from camara? I don't like Zoombrowser...

Suggestions for software to download from camara? I don't like Zoombrowser...

donnellaf@gmail.com

I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
if anyone here could offer some alternatives?

Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames based
on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really want more
bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually viewing
things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want it to try
to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated and taking up
200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to download and not
have to go back in later and batch convert all the filenames....

Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd
##.jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like to have dashes in
there).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Andy

David J Taylor

> I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
> for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
> if anyone here could offer some alternatives?
>
> Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames
> based on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really
> want more bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually
> viewing things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want
> it to try to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated
> and taking up 200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to
> download and not have to go back in later and batch convert all the
> filenames....
>
> Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose
> yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd ##.jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like
> to have dashes in there).
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
> Andy

PIE - Picture Information Extractor

http://www.picmeta.com/

David

salgud

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
> for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
> if anyone here could offer some alternatives?
>
> Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames based
> on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really want more
> bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually viewing
> things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want it to try
> to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated and taking up
> 200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to download and not
> have to go back in later and batch convert all the filenames....
>
> Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd
> ##.jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like to have dashes in
> there).
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
> Andy

I'm using Picasa for now, but it seems that's overkill for what you
want.
Just a word of caution. Zoombrowser does 2 things I don't think you'll
find elsewhere. It can display ALL your camera's settings, not just
standard EXIF data. Things like enhanced color modes. The other feature
it has is the ability to use custom settings in your camera for sounds,
wallpaper, etc. This may or may not be of any importance to you. I keep
ZB on my computer because it has these features.
Hope this helps in your world.

grim

"salgud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
>> for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
>> if anyone here could offer some alternatives?
>>
>> Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames based
>> on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really want more
>> bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually viewing
>> things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want it to try
>> to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated and taking up
>> 200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to download and not
>> have to go back in later and batch convert all the filenames....
>>
>> Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd
>> ##.jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like to have dashes in
>> there).
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
>> Andy

> I'm using Picasa for now, but it seems that's overkill for what you
> want.
> Just a word of caution. Zoombrowser does 2 things I don't think you'll
> find elsewhere. It can display ALL your camera's settings, not just
> standard EXIF data. Things like enhanced color modes. The other feature
> it has is the ability to use custom settings in your camera for sounds,
> wallpaper, etc. This may or may not be of any importance to you. I keep
> ZB on my computer because it has these features.
> Hope this helps in your world.

Latest ZB is version 5.5 which is great.

Dave Cohen

"grim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:A6Wpf.6729$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "salgud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
>>> for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
>>> if anyone here could offer some alternatives?
>>>
>>> Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames based
>>> on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really want more
>>> bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually viewing
>>> things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want it to try
>>> to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated and taking up
>>> 200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to download and not
>>> have to go back in later and batch convert all the filenames....
>>>
>>> Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd
>>> ##.jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like to have dashes in
>>> there).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
>>> Andy

>> I'm using Picasa for now, but it seems that's overkill for what you
>> want.
>> Just a word of caution. Zoombrowser does 2 things I don't think you'll
>> find elsewhere. It can display ALL your camera's settings, not just
>> standard EXIF data. Things like enhanced color modes. The other feature
>> it has is the ability to use custom settings in your camera for sounds,
>> wallpaper, etc. This may or may not be of any importance to you. I keep
>> ZB on my computer because it has these features.
>> Hope this helps in your world.
>>

> Latest ZB is version 5.5 which is great.

You don't say what os. With xp, I keep zoombrowser on the system but don't
use it. Like a previous poster said, it's the only way to change certain
camera settings, in my case owner name.
With xp, you have two choices. You can use the built in wizard which will
create a download directory for you. I don't want to do that so I just use
drag and drop from the canon folder that will appear after you plug the
camera in.
I don't rename until after I modify. I keep all originals in a specail
folder. After I modify, I am now renaming with a name like img_2066scm.jpg.
This indicates I sharpened, cropped and modified, but not necessarily in
that order. I save modified prints in a folder name 'prints made' with
subfolders.
Dave Cohen

salgud

grim wrote:
> "salgud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> >
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
> >> for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
> >> if anyone here could offer some alternatives?
> >>
> >> Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames based
> >> on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really want more
> >> bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually viewing
> >> things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want it to try
> >> to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated and taking up
> >> 200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to download and not
> >> have to go back in later and batch convert all the filenames....
> >>
> >> Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd
> >> ##.jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like to have dashes in
> >> there).
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
> >> Andy

> > I'm using Picasa for now, but it seems that's overkill for what you
> > want.
> > Just a word of caution. Zoombrowser does 2 things I don't think you'll
> > find elsewhere. It can display ALL your camera's settings, not just
> > standard EXIF data. Things like enhanced color modes. The other feature
> > it has is the ability to use custom settings in your camera for sounds,
> > wallpaper, etc. This may or may not be of any importance to you. I keep
> > ZB on my computer because it has these features.
> > Hope this helps in your world.
> >

> Latest ZB is version 5.5 which is great.

My experience was just the opposite (same version). Clunky interface,
hard to get around, hard to do everything. They tried to redefine the
GUI, using mostly non-standard ways of doing things which were
counter-intuitive for me. And the three "modes" meant I was always
switching modes. And half my computer screen occupied by blank gray
areas that represented files with no pix in them. I'd keep my pix in
standard Windoze files before I'd go back to ZB!

donnellaf> I recently purchased a Canon SD550. It comes bundled with Zoombrowser
donnellaf> for managing downloads, however, I do not like this program and wonder
donnellaf> if anyone here could offer some alternatives?

donnellaf> Specifically, all I want to be able to do is define the filenames based
donnellaf> on date taken (yyyy-mm-dd\yyyy-mm-dd ##.jpg). I don't really want more
donnellaf> bells and whistles than this--I use irfanview for actually viewing
donnellaf> things, so I don't need an integrated browser. I don't want it to try
donnellaf> to think for me, or to be "user friendly" (i.e., bloated and taking up
donnellaf> 200 MB like zoombrowser). All I want is to be able to download and not
donnellaf> have to go back in later and batch convert all the filenames....

donnellaf> Zoombrowser comes close to this, in letting me choose yyyymmdd\yyyymmdd
>>> .jpg, but it is not further customizable (I like to have dashes in

donnellaf> there).

BreezeBrowser's DownloaderPro does this.

It is highly configurable. I save in the following
way:

....PhotoBaseDir\yyyy\yyyymmdd Name\Name XX.[jpg/crw]

Where "Name" is entered into a popup window from
DownloaderPro, and XX is the photo's number in
the camera. I then rename them with sequential
numbers unique to that folder. The dates in the
Y's, M's and D's are from the date the photos
were shot.

I think it is about $20, perhaps $30.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.photo.digital...)