Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Red in the face......

Red in the face......

Robert

Hi everyone. I've been using a Panasonic fz20 for the past year. When I
take flash shots of faces, I get red hues on all the high points....cheek
bones, nose, forehead, etc. For the most of you, who are a lot more
experienced than I, is this a technique problem or a flash problem? And, if
you could shed some light on how to reduce my flushed faces, I would be
very grateful. Also using Picasa2.

Thanks,
rm

guanaco

Don't use flash. And set mode at auto

Paul

Try uploading the pic to www.tinypic.com and posting the link. That we can
see the pic in question.

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone. I've been using a Panasonic fz20 for the past year. When I
> take flash shots of faces, I get red hues on all the high points....cheek
> bones, nose, forehead, etc. For the most of you, who are a lot more
> experienced than I, is this a technique problem or a flash problem? And,

if
> you could shed some light on how to reduce my flushed faces, I would be
> very grateful. Also using Picasa2.
>
> Thanks,
> rm

Robert

Here is the URL to a typical flash picture denoting the flushed look on both
faces. Thanks for taking the intrest in this problem and for the
"tinypic.com' site.

http://tinypic.com/iwrhgz.jpg

Bob

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try uploading the pic to www.tinypic.com and posting the link. That we
> can
> see the pic in question.
>

> "Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi everyone. I've been using a Panasonic fz20 for the past year. When I
>> take flash shots of faces, I get red hues on all the high points....cheek
>> bones, nose, forehead, etc. For the most of you, who are a lot more
>> experienced than I, is this a technique problem or a flash problem? And,

> if
>> you could shed some light on how to reduce my flushed faces, I would be
>> very grateful. Also using Picasa2.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> rm

Joe Petolino

Robert wrote:
>>>Hi everyone. I've been using a Panasonic fz20 for the past year. When I
>>>take flash shots of faces, I get red hues on all the high points....cheek
>>>bones, nose, forehead, etc. For the most of you, who are a lot more
>>>experienced than I, is this a technique problem or a flash problem?

.. . .
> Here is the URL to a typical flash picture denoting the flushed look on both
> faces.

.. . .
> http://tinypic.com/iwrhgz.jpg

It looks like a slight color balance problem (too magenta) - maybe the
camera isn't using the right white point. I was able to make this fix
using the white and gray eyedroppers in the Photoshop curves tool,
plus a tiny bit of manual tweaking:

http://tinypic.com/ixcgua.jpg

The guy's cheeks are still a bit red. With a little work you could
get it better.

How are you looking at the picture - on a monitor, or in a print? Is
your monitor calibrated? You may not be seeing the same colors as we are.

-Joe

Robert

I do not have photoshop so trying to solve the problem there is in the
future. With regard to the monitor, I'm not seeing the redness in faces
except when I use a flash. I thought there were some camera adjustments
that could be applied to reduce this problem of maybe using a bounce flash
of something of the like. At any rate, thank you both for your responses.
I very much appreciate the feed back.

Thanks again,
Bob

"Joe Petolino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NE7qf.40560$(E-Mail Removed). net...

> . . .
> > Here is the URL to a typical flash picture denoting the flushed look on
> > both
> > faces.

> . . .
> > http://tinypic.com/iwrhgz.jpg

> It looks like a slight color balance problem (too magenta) - maybe the
> camera isn't using the right white point. I was able to make this fix
> using the white and gray eyedroppers in the Photoshop curves tool,
> plus a tiny bit of manual tweaking:
>
> http://tinypic.com/ixcgua.jpg
>
> The guy's cheeks are still a bit red. With a little work you could
> get it better.
>
> How are you looking at the picture - on a monitor, or in a print? Is
> your monitor calibrated? You may not be seeing the same colors as we are.
>
> -Joe

Randy Berbaum

Robert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: I do not have photoshop so trying to solve the problem there is in the
: future. With regard to the monitor, I'm not seeing the redness in faces
: except when I use a flash. I thought there were some camera adjustments
: that could be applied to reduce this problem of maybe using a bounce flash
: of something of the like. At any rate, thank you both for your responses.
: I very much appreciate the feed back.

One thought, it may be that your cameras white balance is set for
florescent lighting (which has a bluish or greenish cast) and so a red
"filter" is used to counteract this color. But the flash does not have
that blue/green cast and so the red filter would give your image a slight
redish cast. Check to see what WB setting you are using. Some cameras even
have a "flash" WB setting that MAY fix this problem.

Just "one more possibility" to explore.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Barry L. Wallis

Randy Berbaum wrote:
> Robert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : I do not have photoshop so trying to solve the problem there is in the
> : future. With regard to the monitor, I'm not seeing the redness in faces
> : except when I use a flash. I thought there were some camera adjustments
> : that could be applied to reduce this problem of maybe using a bounce flash
> : of something of the like. At any rate, thank you both for your responses.
> : I very much appreciate the feed back.
>
> One thought, it may be that your cameras white balance is set for
> florescent lighting (which has a bluish or greenish cast) and so a red
> "filter" is used to counteract this color. But the flash does not have
> that blue/green cast and so the red filter would give your image a slight
> redish cast. Check to see what WB setting you are using. Some cameras even
> have a "flash" WB setting that MAY fix this problem.
>
> Just "one more possibility" to explore.

Funny you should mention that Randy. I was taking a picture of a Lilo
and Scrump sculpture last night and had accidentally left the WB
manually set to incandescent. The picture ended up with an overall
bluish cast. The OP's picture didn't seem to have the same problem, but
I guess it is a possibility.

--
- Barry

Randy Berbaum

Barry L. Wallis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: Funny you should mention that Randy. I was taking a picture of a Lilo
: and Scrump sculpture last night and had accidentally left the WB
: manually set to incandescent. The picture ended up with an overall
: bluish cast. The OP's picture didn't seem to have the same problem, but
: I guess it is a possibility.

Incandecent light is high in reds and so a blue filter is used to
compensate. While florescent lights have more blue/green and so a red
filter is used.

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL