Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to use ICM profiles?

How to use ICM profiles?

Swingman

I have an ICM profile for my Epson inkjet printer. I also use Digital Image
Pro for photo printing which has an option to use ICM profiles (for both the
monitor and printing). If I enable the printer profile in Digital Image Pro
should I also chose ICM in the Epson printer driver when I print, or does
this cause an over-correction? In the printer driver I have the option to
chose ICM, no color correction, manual color correction, sRGB, and
PhotoEnhance4. I'd like to avoid printing using every single option to
figure out which is best so any help will be appreciated <g>.

Bill Hilton

>Swingman writes ...
>
>I have an ICM profile for my Epson inkjet printer. I also use Digital Image
>Pro for photo printing which has an option to use ICM profiles (for both the
>monitor and printing). If I enable the printer profile in Digital Image Pro
>should I also chose ICM in the Epson printer driver when I print, or does
>this cause an over-correction? In the printer driver I have the option to
>chose ICM, no color correction, manual color correction, sRGB, and
>PhotoEnhance4.

I'm not familiar with Digital Image Pro but here's how it works in
Photoshop ... if you do NOT set the profile up in Photoshop then you
choose 'icm' in the printer driver; if you DO set the profile in
Photoshop thru soft proofing or convert to profile then you choose 'no
color correction.' On most Epsons if you set it in Photoshop and set
it again in the printer software you get a distinct magenta shift so
it's easy to see if you double profiled.

The other options in the printer driver are basically meant for those
who do not have access to programs like ours for printing.

Bill

Swingman

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >Swingman writes ...
>>
>>I have an ICM profile for my Epson inkjet printer. I also use Digital
>>Image
>>Pro for photo printing which has an option to use ICM profiles (for both
>>the
>>monitor and printing). If I enable the printer profile in Digital Image
>>Pro
>>should I also chose ICM in the Epson printer driver when I print, or does
>>this cause an over-correction? In the printer driver I have the option to
>>chose ICM, no color correction, manual color correction, sRGB, and
>>PhotoEnhance4.

> I'm not familiar with Digital Image Pro but here's how it works in
> Photoshop ... if you do NOT set the profile up in Photoshop then you
> choose 'icm' in the printer driver; if you DO set the profile in
> Photoshop thru soft proofing or convert to profile then you choose 'no
> color correction.' On most Epsons if you set it in Photoshop and set
> it again in the printer software you get a distinct magenta shift so
> it's easy to see if you double profiled.

Thanks for the reply. I experimented a little more and discovered that
disabling profiles in Digital Image Pro (DIP) and choosing ICM in the
printer driver produces good results. Oddly, if the printer profile is
enabled in DIP and I chose "no color correction" in the printer driver the
output is way too dark - go figure.

Stacey

Swingman wrote:

> I'd like to avoid printing using every single option to
> figure out which is best so any help will be appreciated <g>.

Buy "color confidence" by Tim Grey. $10 used at amazon and is cheaper than
all the ink and paper you're fixing to waste. Then you'll actually
understand what color management is, how it works and how to correctly use
it.

--

Stacey

swingman

>> I'd like to avoid printing using every single option to
>> figure out which is best so any help will be appreciated <g>.

> Buy "color confidence" by Tim Grey. $10 used at amazon and is cheaper than
> all the ink and paper you're fixing to waste. Then you'll actually
> understand what color management is, how it works and how to correctly use
> it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I DID order the book.

Stacey

swingman wrote:

>>> I'd like to avoid printing using every single option to
>>> figure out which is best so any help will be appreciated <g>.

>> Buy "color confidence" by Tim Grey. $10 used at amazon and is cheaper
>> than all the ink and paper you're fixing to waste. Then you'll actually
>> understand what color management is, how it works and how to correctly
>> use it.

> Thanks for the suggestion. I DID order the book.

It's a great read. Not too technical where you get bored or fall asleep and
some interesting facts about how human vision works and why inkjets prints
can look so different in different light sources (metamerism) where a
lightjet print won't etc. Also explains work flow, why you don't/can't
really profile a camera unless you are using a fixed light source etc.
--

Stacey