Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CF reader now states inserted card not formatted (wrongly)

CF reader now states inserted card not formatted (wrongly)

Roger Moss

After using a Belkin USB CF reader for some time with no problems, it now
informs me that any card inserted is not formatted. I've removed and then
reinstalled the drivers, and the LED indicator on the drive suggests that
all is functioning correctly - is this our old friend XP (+SP2) screwing
things up once again?

Constructive suggestions, please.

RM

Scott Chapin

"Roger Moss" <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote in message
news:do3oh9$13f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> After using a Belkin USB CF reader for some time with no problems, it now
> informs me that any card inserted is not formatted. I've removed and then
> reinstalled the drivers, and the LED indicator on the drive suggests that
> all is functioning correctly - is this our old friend XP (+SP2) screwing
> things up once again?
>
> Constructive suggestions, please.
>
> RM

Probably not an OS problem, especially if your camera sees the card. Belkin
makes great cables and such, but I don't trust anything they produce that
has Windows drivers. I had a Belkin USB to RS232 converter and guess what?
It rarely worked properly. I had a Belkin USB wireless unit and guess what?
It didn't work properly.

CF card readers are inexpensive. Get another (non-Belkin) one.

Scott Chapin

Henry

"Scott Chapin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Roger Moss" <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote in message
> news:do3oh9$13f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> After using a Belkin USB CF reader for some time with no problems, it now
>> informs me that any card inserted is not formatted. I've removed and then
>> reinstalled the drivers, and the LED indicator on the drive suggests that
>> all is functioning correctly - is this our old friend XP (+SP2) screwing
>> things up once again?
>>
>> Constructive suggestions, please.
>>
>> RM
>>

> Probably not an OS problem, especially if your camera sees the card.
> Belkin
> makes great cables and such, but I don't trust anything they produce that
> has Windows drivers. I had a Belkin USB to RS232 converter and guess what?
> It rarely worked properly. I had a Belkin USB wireless unit and guess
> what?
> It didn't work properly.
>
> CF card readers are inexpensive. Get another (non-Belkin) one.
>
> Scott Chapin

sounds like a fault in the reader, not an OS problem.

Bill Funk

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:34:23 +0100, "Roger Moss"
<roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote:

>After using a Belkin USB CF reader for some time with no problems, it now
>informs me that any card inserted is not formatted. I've removed and then
>reinstalled the drivers, and the LED indicator on the drive suggests that
>all is functioning correctly - is this our old friend XP (+SP2) screwing
>things up once again?
>
>Constructive suggestions, please.
>
>RM

I doubt it's an XP/SP2 problem; it would have always been flakey if it
were.
Why does the Belkin reader need drivers? XP has the drivers built in
for card readers. I'd suspect the reader; they're cheap, get another,
one that will work out of the box with XP (just about any currently
marketed USB reader).

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

Roger Moss

To be honest, I got a Belkin unit as I've always thought their cables, etc.,
were pretty rugged and assumed that a simple card reader ought to be
similarly bomb-proof.

But... if I take out the cable from it and connect directly to my camera
body, all transfers with no problems - albeit a bit slowly. I'll try using
the XP driver before assuming the reader is a basket case, as it's pretty
new and has never even been out on the road. I'll also try it on my notebook
PC; if it works on that, well...

Thanks for the responses!

RM

"Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:34:23 +0100, "Roger Moss"
> <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>
>>After using a Belkin USB CF reader for some time with no problems, it now
>>informs me that any card inserted is not formatted. I've removed and then
>>reinstalled the drivers, and the LED indicator on the drive suggests that
>>all is functioning correctly - is this our old friend XP (+SP2) screwing
>>things up once again?
>>
>>Constructive suggestions, please.
>>
>>RM
>>

> I doubt it's an XP/SP2 problem; it would have always been flakey if it
> were.
> Why does the Belkin reader need drivers? XP has the drivers built in
> for card readers. I'd suspect the reader; they're cheap, get another,
> one that will work out of the box with XP (just about any currently
> marketed USB reader).
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> Replace "g" with "a"
> funktionality.blogspot.com

John McWilliams

Roger Moss wrote:
> To be honest, I got a Belkin unit as I've always thought their cables, etc.,
> were pretty rugged and assumed that a simple card reader ought to be
> similarly bomb-proof.
>
> But... if I take out the cable from it and connect directly to my camera
> body, all transfers with no problems - albeit a bit slowly. I'll try using
> the XP driver before assuming the reader is a basket case, as it's pretty
> new and has never even been out on the road. I'll also try it on my notebook
> PC; if it works on that, well...

Have the camera reformat the card after you've downloaded the next batch
of photos. Longish shot, but might do it.

==
John McWilliams

Scott Chapin

"Henry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:do3u7c$55g$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

<SNIP>

> sounds like a fault in the reader, not an OS problem.

Indeed, and most probably the drivers and not the hardware.

Scott Chapin

Scott Chapin

"Roger Moss" <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote in message
news:do439i$9fn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> To be honest, I got a Belkin unit as I've always thought their cables,

etc.,
> were pretty rugged and assumed that a simple card reader ought to be
> similarly bomb-proof.

<SNIP>

That's why I went with Belkin, until two USB items of theirs had crappy
drivers!

Good Luck,

Scott Chapin

Bill Funk

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:38:02 +0100, "Roger Moss"
<roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote:

>To be honest, I got a Belkin unit as I've always thought their cables, etc.,
>were pretty rugged and assumed that a simple card reader ought to be
>similarly bomb-proof.
>
>But... if I take out the cable from it and connect directly to my camera
>body, all transfers with no problems - albeit a bit slowly. I'll try using
>the XP driver before assuming the reader is a basket case, as it's pretty
>new and has never even been out on the road. I'll also try it on my notebook
>PC; if it works on that, well...

Did the instructions that came with the Belkin reader tell you to
install drivers for WinXP? Or did you simply install them because they
were there?
If the latter, yes, remove them.
If the former, replace the Belkin reader; they obviously don't know
what they are doing. Everyone else can build a reader that needs no
other drivers than those in XP.

>Thanks for the responses!
>
>RM
>
>"Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:34:23 +0100, "Roger Moss"
>> <roger.moss(BINTHISBIT)@tiscali.fr> wrote:
>>
>>>After using a Belkin USB CF reader for some time with no problems, it now
>>>informs me that any card inserted is not formatted. I've removed and then
>>>reinstalled the drivers, and the LED indicator on the drive suggests that
>>>all is functioning correctly - is this our old friend XP (+SP2) screwing
>>>things up once again?
>>>
>>>Constructive suggestions, please.
>>>
>>>RM
>>>

>> I doubt it's an XP/SP2 problem; it would have always been flakey if it
>> were.
>> Why does the Belkin reader need drivers? XP has the drivers built in
>> for card readers. I'd suspect the reader; they're cheap, get another,
>> one that will work out of the box with XP (just about any currently
>> marketed USB reader).
>>
>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> Replace "g" with "a"
>> funktionality.blogspot.com

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com

Roger Moss

"Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>To be honest, I got a Belkin unit as I've always thought their cables,
>>etc.,
>>were pretty rugged and assumed that a simple card reader ought to be
>>similarly bomb-proof.
>>
>>But... if I take out the cable from it and connect directly to my camera
>>body, all transfers with no problems - albeit a bit slowly. I'll try using
>>the XP driver before assuming the reader is a basket case, as it's pretty
>>new and has never even been out on the road. I'll also try it on my
>>notebook
>>PC; if it works on that, well...

> Did the instructions that came with the Belkin reader tell you to
> install drivers for WinXP? Or did you simply install them because they
> were there?
> If the latter, yes, remove them.
> If the former, replace the Belkin reader; they obviously don't know
> what they are doing. Everyone else can build a reader that needs no
> other drivers than those in XP.

Well, maybe we shouldn't jump to conclusions - the unit works fine on my
notebook, and - surprise, surprise - my old USB1.1 card reader shows the
same problem on my main machine as the Belkin unit. I pop in a card
containing images, only to be told it's not formatted.

I checked the Belkin install disk, which despite the Install Driver menu
item doesn't seem to contain a driver at all; maybe it simply checks that
the native Win XP driver is there. Anyhow, my guess is that the driver is
corrupt, but I may be wrong - now all I need to do is figure out how to
replace it (bearing in mind I have SP2 installed, so that rules out the
original Windows install disk... we'll see.

Strange, never had this problem with film

Stay tuned...

RM