Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Custom Curves for the D200?

Custom Curves for the D200?

Rita Berkowitz

I've been playing with my D200 today and I want to upload custom curves to
it. Can curves made for the D2x be uploaded to the D200 and work properly?
Or do I have to start over and make and save them specifically for the D200.
Thanks.

Rita

[BnH]

Try it first.
I load D70 cc to D1H and D1X. works fine

=bob=

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been playing with my D200 today and I want to upload custom curves to
> it. Can curves made for the D2x be uploaded to the D200 and work
> properly?
> Or do I have to start over and make and save them specifically for the
> D200.
> Thanks.

GTO

What are your current firmware revisions?

I remember it took Nikon several months until they shipped a greatly
corrected firmware for the D70 (July 2004). I expect the D200 to work
properly until April '06. In the meantime, enjoy your work as a unpaid
beta-tester

Gregor

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been playing with my D200 today and I want to upload custom curves to
> it. Can curves made for the D2x be uploaded to the D200 and work
> properly?
> Or do I have to start over and make and save them specifically for the
> D200.
> Thanks.
>

> Rita

GTO

Typo in my last post. "I DON"T expect it to work properly until April '06"
due to FW problems that gradually will be addressed. This makes the D200 a
reliable camera in a few months. A professional in desperate need for a
reliable Nikon camera should only consider the much more expensive D2X (or
D2Hs if 12MP resolution is not required or a 1/500 flash sync is essential)
since this camera is tested and will work well. Only an early adopter will
jump on the D200 at such an early stage. As a backup, the D70s is now the
safer choice. Of course, this all changes once we can see what the D200 is
really capable of and Nikon had a chance to fix all the problems the early
adopters will find.

Gregor

"GTO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news96pf.36287$q%(E-Mail Removed) om...
> What are your current firmware revisions?
>
> I remember it took Nikon several months until they shipped a greatly
> corrected firmware for the D70 (July 2004). I expect the D200 to work
> properly until April '06. In the meantime, enjoy your work as a unpaid
> beta-tester
>
> Gregor
>
> "Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've been playing with my D200 today and I want to upload custom curves
>> it. Can curves made for the D2x be uploaded to the D200 and work
>> properly?
>> Or do I have to start over and make and save them specifically for the
>> D200.
>> Thanks.
>>

>> Rita

Rita Berkowitz

[BnH] wrote:

> Try it first.
> I load D70 cc to D1H and D1X. works fine

Thanks, I'll give it a try this afternoon to see how it works.

Rita

Rita Berkowitz

GTO wrote:
> What are your current firmware revisions?

On the D200? It's packed away in the old Pelican at the moment.

> I remember it took Nikon several months until they shipped a greatly
> corrected firmware for the D70 (July 2004). I expect the D200 to work
> properly until April '06. In the meantime, enjoy your work as a unpaid
> beta-tester

Huh? I got the D70 when first introduced and it worked fine right out of
the box and used the original firmware for the longest time. I did update
to the latest revision long after it was introduced solely for the reason of
being able to do so, not because I had any problems that needed addressing.
It's one of those "keeping up with the Jones" thing.

As for beta testing, I really don't mind. If the D200 works as well and
flawlessly for me as the D70 and the D2x, I'll feel shunned since I won't be
part of this exclusive club you speak of. Hey, no worries.

Rita

Rita Berkowitz

GTO wrote:
> Typo in my last post. "I DON"T expect it to work properly until April
> '06" due to FW problems that gradually will be addressed. This makes
> the D200 a reliable camera in a few months. A professional in
> desperate need for a reliable Nikon camera should only consider the
> much more expensive D2X (or D2Hs if 12MP resolution is not required
> or a 1/500 flash sync is essential) since this camera is tested and
> will work well. Only an early adopter will jump on the D200 at such
> an early stage. As a backup, the D70s is now the safer choice. Of
> course, this all changes once we can see what the D200 is really
> capable of and Nikon had a chance to fix all the problems the early
> adopters will find.

I kind of figured out where you were going in your first post.

What if one already has a D2x and a D70 and doesn't care about all the
negative hype (some justified while most is imaginary) on the internet? I
think most reasonable people buy the tools they need for the job at hand and
use them so they can earn a living while there are others that solely use
them to get the most enjoyment value out of them. I have been more than
adequately satisfied with all my Nikon bodies and lenses and have no
problems buying any of their products sight unseen. And in the unlikely
event I get a dud I have a one-year US warranty to send it back to Nikon for
repair. I think I have all my bases covered.

Rita

Ole Larsen

Rita Berkowitz skrev:
> I've been playing with my D200 today and I want to upload custom curves to
> it. Can curves made for the D2x be uploaded to the D200 and work properly?
> Or do I have to start over and make and save them specifically for the
> D200.
> Thanks.
>

> Rita

AFAIK cc is of no use when shooting raw. Correct?

--
Med venlig hilsen, Ole Larsen.
New Images And Design 2005-11-17

Rita Berkowitz

Ole Larsen wrote:

> AFAIK cc is of no use when shooting raw. Correct?

Pretty much. They are great for saving time when you want to have JPG right
out of the camera without having to post process. This is especially true
for general-purpose snapshots and pics for eBay.

Rita

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

>Ole Larsen wrote:
>
>> AFAIK cc is of no use when shooting raw. Correct?

>Pretty much. They are great for saving time when you want to have JPG right
>out of the camera without having to post process. This is especially true
>for general-purpose snapshots and pics for eBay.

Well, I don't know for sure if it's true, but the buzz I've heard is
that the D200 has so-called "encryped white balance" like the D2X, so
that might mean they take a similar approach, in which the WB setting
actually affects the sensor readout, reducing posterization in the
weaker RAW color channels, such as the blue in tungsten light, or the
red in shade illuminated by deep blue sky. Should make the shadows more
usable, especially at the lower ISOs.
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>