Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photoshop's "Merge to HDR" Function

Photoshop's "Merge to HDR" Function

Annika1980

Here's a test image I made today using the new "Merge to HDR" function
of Photoshop CS2.

http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

C Wright

On 12/16/05 10:03 PM, in article
(E-Mail Removed). com, "Annika1980"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Here's a test image I made today using the new "Merge to HDR" function
> of Photoshop CS2.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

I thought that you said you were having trouble with merge to HDR; this one
worked!
Chuck

RON

What is HDR function????
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Here's a test image I made today using the new "Merge to HDR" function
> of Photoshop CS2.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

MarkČ

RON wrote:
> What is HDR function????

Click his link...and then read the description under the image.

> "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Here's a test image I made today using the new "Merge to HDR"
>> function of Photoshop CS2.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

Annika1980

> http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

>I thought that you said you were having trouble with merge to HDR; this one
>worked!
>Chuck

As I mentioned earlier, I'm still studying it. Jack Davis has a nice
section on it in his latest Photoshop CS DVD-ROM. There are some
tricks to using it that I can go over if you'd like.

C Wright

On 12/17/05 9:02 AM, in article
(E-Mail Removed) om, "Annika1980"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

>> I thought that you said you were having trouble with merge to HDR; this one
>> worked!
>> Chuck

> As I mentioned earlier, I'm still studying it. Jack Davis has a nice
> section on it in his latest Photoshop CS DVD-ROM. There are some
> tricks to using it that I can go over if you'd like.

Without asking you to go into too much detail if you have a tip, or two or
three, that you found particularly helpful please let the group know. I
certainly can't be the only one in this group with PS CS2 who could find a
use for HDR.
Chuck

Michael Eisenberg

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:44:48 GMT, C Wright
<wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote:

>On 12/17/05 9:02 AM, in article
>(E-Mail Removed). com, "Annika1980"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

>>> I thought that you said you were having trouble with merge to HDR; this one
>>> worked!
>>> Chuck

>> As I mentioned earlier, I'm still studying it. Jack Davis has a nice
>> section on it in his latest Photoshop CS DVD-ROM. There are some
>> tricks to using it that I can go over if you'd like.
>>

>Without asking you to go into too much detail if you have a tip, or two or
>three, that you found particularly helpful please let the group know. I
>certainly can't be the only one in this group with PS CS2 who could find a
>use for HDR.
>Chuck

yeah...agreed! I have used HDR a few times with mixed results but I
seem to be getting better at it. I can tell it's a groundbreaking
tool, I just have to follow the learing curve. Any tips you'd like to
share would be greatly appreciated.

best
Michael Eisenberg

Steve Wolfe

> What is HDR function????

Why don't you type "merge to hdr" into your favorite search engine?

steve

John McWilliams

Annika1980 wrote:
> Here's a test image I made today using the new "Merge to HDR" function
> of Photoshop CS2.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

Yes, it looks like it worked just fine. But were the two intermediate
exposures used at all? Would the results be different if you used just
the ends of the exposure range?

--
John McWilliams

John Wilson

On 16 Dec 2005 20:03:05 -0800, "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Here's a test image I made today using the new "Merge to HDR" function
>of Photoshop CS2.
>
>http://www.pbase.com/image/53626197

I have tried CS2's merge to HDR, because I do a lot of very high
contrast subjects. I've never actually used the resulting image,
mostly because it really needs very near identical images to work
with. Handholding is rarely good enough, and a tripod is genuinely
very impractical for the work I do.

For most purposes the shadow/highlight function does help a lot, and
in your test case I'm sure it would have given a near-identical result
with a lot less trouble.

Merge to HDR can do astonishing things with ultra high contrast
images, eg really deep indoor shadows to outdoor sunlight - but when
played with it I found the result looked very artificial once you
merged it down to a monitor image.
John Wilson
jwilsonNO*(E-Mail Removed)
Remove characters from e-mail address to reply
www.yachtsnet.co.uk - full service online yacht
brokerage with full details and multiple photos
of all boats. Free classified adverts for small
boats and genuinely useful marine links.