Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lost WYSIWYG

Lost WYSIWYG

swingman

With my old CRT monitor printed output matched the screen images well
enough. However, after upgrading to a flat panel prints are comparatively
dark - color balance is OK, but brightness and contrast seem way off. Both
the printer and flat panel monitor have installed ICM profiles. I'd
appreciate any suggestions for how to get things reasonably calibrated
again. TIA!

MitchAlsup@aol.com

Google up Norman Koren and click over to his Monitor Calibration page.

Markeau

"swingman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news%knf.3752$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> With my old CRT monitor printed output matched the screen images
> well enough. However, after upgrading to a flat panel prints are
> comparatively dark - color balance is OK, but brightness and
> contrast seem way off. Both the printer and flat panel monitor have
> installed ICM profiles. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to
> get things reasonably calibrated again. TIA!

Since the only thing you changed was the monitor, try calibrating it
with the free WiziWYG:
http://www.praxisoft.com/pages/products.wiziwyg.html

I've had good results with it, almost exactly the same as with Adobe
Gamma (which comes with Adobe image editing products)

bmoag

If you are serious about WYSIWYG color spend another $100 or so and get a
device to actually calibrate your monitor and use for real color management
instead of pretend.

MarkČ

swingman wrote:
> With my old CRT monitor printed output matched the screen images well
> enough. However, after upgrading to a flat panel prints are
> comparatively dark - color balance is OK, but brightness and contrast
> seem way off. Both the printer and flat panel monitor have installed
> ICM profiles. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to get things
> reasonably calibrated again. TIA!

Two things:

1. LCD monitors seem to ALWAYS come from the factory with the brightness
turned up WAY too high. I suspect this is due to their desire to catch
buyer's eyes with comparatively bright displays in stores...

You'll definitely need to turn it down from factory defaults...short of
running real calibration devices.

2. While Adobe gamma is a simple solution that can often render very decent
results (my LCD came very close with Adobe Gamma alone), it is worth
investing in a **hardware calibration device.** The importance (and
benefits!) of this cannot be over-stated! I'd recommend the Spyder 2 from
Pantone Colorvision. They run about $179, and are worth every penny.
You'll soon recover its cost simply in the number of prints you WON'T have
to re-print, because colors will be right teh first time (assuming you've
set up your print rutine correctly).

It's amazing how freeing and empowering it is when you have a system that is
accurately profiled. I can't tell you how nice it is to have full
"predictive" ability when it comes to knowing *in advance* how your prints
will actually look.

-Mark

Pinehollow

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> swingman wrote:
>> With my old CRT monitor printed output matched the screen images well
>> enough. However, after upgrading to a flat panel prints are
>> comparatively dark - color balance is OK, but brightness and contrast
>> seem way off. Both the printer and flat panel monitor have installed
>> ICM profiles. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to get things
>> reasonably calibrated again. TIA!

> Two things:
>
> 1. LCD monitors seem to ALWAYS come from the factory with the brightness
> turned up WAY too high. I suspect this is due to their desire to catch
> buyer's eyes with comparatively bright displays in stores...
>
> You'll definitely need to turn it down from factory defaults...short of
> running real calibration devices.
>
> 2. While Adobe gamma is a simple solution that can often render very
> decent results (my LCD came very close with Adobe Gamma alone), it is
> worth investing in a **hardware calibration device.** The importance (and
> benefits!) of this cannot be over-stated! I'd recommend the Spyder 2 from
> Pantone Colorvision. They run about $179, and are worth every penny.
> You'll soon recover its cost simply in the number of prints you WON'T have
> to re-print, because colors will be right teh first time (assuming you've
> set up your print rutine correctly).
>
> It's amazing how freeing and empowering it is when you have a system that
> is accurately profiled. I can't tell you how nice it is to have full
> "predictive" ability when it comes to knowing *in advance* how your prints
> will actually look.
>
> -Mark

I'll echo that. I got Spyder 2 and it made a big difference in the prints I
was getting. I have a Dell 20" LCD and I can not be assured that what I
print will be what I see on the screen.

Don

http://www.usenet.com

Pinehollow

"Pinehollow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>> swingman wrote:
>>> With my old CRT monitor printed output matched the screen images well
>>> enough. However, after upgrading to a flat panel prints are
>>> comparatively dark - color balance is OK, but brightness and contrast
>>> seem way off. Both the printer and flat panel monitor have installed
>>> ICM profiles. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to get things
>>> reasonably calibrated again. TIA!

>> Two things:
>>
>> 1. LCD monitors seem to ALWAYS come from the factory with the brightness
>> turned up WAY too high. I suspect this is due to their desire to catch
>> buyer's eyes with comparatively bright displays in stores...
>>
>> You'll definitely need to turn it down from factory defaults...short of
>> running real calibration devices.
>>
>> 2. While Adobe gamma is a simple solution that can often render very
>> decent results (my LCD came very close with Adobe Gamma alone), it is
>> worth investing in a **hardware calibration device.** The importance
>> (and benefits!) of this cannot be over-stated! I'd recommend the Spyder
>> 2 from Pantone Colorvision. They run about $179, and are worth every
>> penny. You'll soon recover its cost simply in the number of prints you
>> WON'T have to re-print, because colors will be right teh first time
>> (assuming you've set up your print rutine correctly).
>>
>> It's amazing how freeing and empowering it is when you have a system that
>> is accurately profiled. I can't tell you how nice it is to have full
>> "predictive" ability when it comes to knowing *in advance* how your
>> prints will actually look.
>>
>> -Mark
>>

> I'll echo that. I got Spyder 2 and it made a big difference in the prints
> I was getting. I have a Dell 20" LCD and I can not be assured that what I
> print will be what I see on the screen.
>
> Don

That was supposed to be " and I can NOW be assured", etc.

Don

http://www.usenet.com

Swingman

"Pinehollow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Pinehollow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Two things:
>>>
>>> 1. LCD monitors seem to ALWAYS come from the factory with the
>>> brightness turned up WAY too high. I suspect this is due to their
>>> desire to catch buyer's eyes with comparatively bright displays in
>>> stores...
>>>
>>> You'll definitely need to turn it down from factory defaults...short of
>>> running real calibration devices.
>>>
>>> 2. While Adobe gamma is a simple solution that can often render very
>>> decent results (my LCD came very close with Adobe Gamma alone), it is
>>> worth investing in a **hardware calibration device.** The importance
>>> (and benefits!) of this cannot be over-stated! I'd recommend the Spyder
>>> 2 from Pantone Colorvision. They run about $179, and are worth every
>>> penny. You'll soon recover its cost simply in the number of prints you
>>> WON'T have to re-print, because colors will be right teh first time
>>> (assuming you've set up your print rutine correctly).
>>>
>>> It's amazing how freeing and empowering it is when you have a system
>>> that is accurately profiled. I can't tell you how nice it is to have
>>> full "predictive" ability when it comes to knowing *in advance* how your
>>> prints will actually look.
>>>
>>> -Mark
>>>

>> I'll echo that. I got Spyder 2 and it made a big difference in the
>> prints I was getting. I have a Dell 20" LCD and I can not be assured
>> that what I print will be what I see on the screen.
>>
>> Don

> That was supposed to be " and I can NOW be assured", etc.
>
> Don

> http://www.usenet.com

Thanks to everyone for the reponses. I downloaded "WiziWYG XP" and the
difference after adjusting the screen is significant to the eye. I'll know
better this weekend after printing some pictures whether the screen is
agreeing more with the printer <g>.