Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: WiFi Continually Disconnects

Re: WiFi Continually Disconnects

Michael Giroux

Robert,
I made one other change that I forgot to mention. I upgraded to XP SP2.

Michael
"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently upgraded my router (Speedtouch 545) to make it WiFi compatible,
> however all is not well. After about being connected for about 5-10
> minutes i
> loss the connection on my laptop which uses its own WLAN 802.11g mini-PCI
> Module (made by invilink) and no matter what i do i can't seem to fix it,
> the
> laptop only comes with drivers for the card, so i have to use Win XP's own
> network configuration utility to set up the connection. But thats only the
> beginning, when i want to reconnect i first need to disable then re-enable
> my
> Wlan connection then do the same for my Lan (which by the way isn't
> connected
> to any other PC's), this is because whenever i use the Win XP network
> configuration utility to reconnect, it connects to the network, my WiFi
> connection is still recognised as disconnected.
> Anyone any ideas?
>
> P.S. Could the fact that my laptop uses 802.11g and my router uses 802.11b
> have anything to do with it?
>
> --
> System:
> Acer Ferrari 3200 Notebook
> AMD mobile 64 2800
> 80Gb HDD
> 512Mb Ram
> ATI 9700 128Mb Mobile
> WinXP Home Build 5.1 2600 SP2

GF

That was probably the solution.
I had frequent disconnects before I installed SP2, and
it never happened ever since.

"Michael Giroux" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> Robert,
> I made one other change that I forgot to mention. I upgraded to XP SP2.
>
> Michael
> "Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I recently upgraded my router (Speedtouch 545) to make it WiFi compatible,
>> however all is not well. After about being connected for about 5-10
>> minutes i
>> loss the connection on my laptop which uses its own WLAN 802.11g mini-PCI
>> Module (made by invilink) and no matter what i do i can't seem to fix it,
>> the
>> laptop only comes with drivers for the card, so i have to use Win XP's
>> own
>> network configuration utility to set up the connection. But thats only
>> the
>> beginning, when i want to reconnect i first need to disable then
>> re-enable my
>> Wlan connection then do the same for my Lan (which by the way isn't
>> connected
>> to any other PC's), this is because whenever i use the Win XP network
>> configuration utility to reconnect, it connects to the network, my WiFi
>> connection is still recognised as disconnected.
>> Anyone any ideas?
>>
>> P.S. Could the fact that my laptop uses 802.11g and my router uses
>> 802.11b
>> have anything to do with it?
>>
>> --
>> System:
>> Acer Ferrari 3200 Notebook
>> AMD mobile 64 2800
>> 80Gb HDD
>> 512Mb Ram
>> ATI 9700 128Mb Mobile
>> WinXP Home Build 5.1 2600 SP2

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

I already have SP2 installed so i really don't know what to do

"GF" wrote:

> That was probably the solution.
> I had frequent disconnects before I installed SP2, and
> it never happened ever since.
>

> "Michael Giroux" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> (E-Mail Removed)...
> > Robert,
> > I made one other change that I forgot to mention. I upgraded to XP SP2.
> >
> > Michael
> > "Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I recently upgraded my router (Speedtouch 545) to make it WiFi compatible,
> >> however all is not well. After about being connected for about 5-10
> >> minutes i
> >> loss the connection on my laptop which uses its own WLAN 802.11g mini-PCI
> >> Module (made by invilink) and no matter what i do i can't seem to fix it,
> >> the
> >> laptop only comes with drivers for the card, so i have to use Win XP's
> >> own
> >> network configuration utility to set up the connection. But thats only
> >> the
> >> beginning, when i want to reconnect i first need to disable then
> >> re-enable my
> >> Wlan connection then do the same for my Lan (which by the way isn't
> >> connected
> >> to any other PC's), this is because whenever i use the Win XP network
> >> configuration utility to reconnect, it connects to the network, my WiFi
> >> connection is still recognised as disconnected.
> >> Anyone any ideas?
> >>
> >> P.S. Could the fact that my laptop uses 802.11g and my router uses
> >> 802.11b
> >> have anything to do with it?
> >>
> >> --
> >> System:
> >> Acer Ferrari 3200 Notebook
> >> AMD mobile 64 2800
> >> 80Gb HDD
> >> 512Mb Ram
> >> ATI 9700 128Mb Mobile
> >> WinXP Home Build 5.1 2600 SP2

Brian Sullivan MVP

Robert wrote:
> I already have SP2 installed so i really don't know what to do

Is "Enable IEEE802.1x authentication..." unset for the NIC ( and all NICs in
the network). This seems to be often set ( mistakenly ) by default and I
think can cause the kind of symptoms you are having.

--
Brian Sullivan
Meeting by Wire ( http://www.meetingbywire.com)