Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 20D lockup when using IS and EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens

Canon 20D lockup when using IS and EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens

badchess

I've searched for an answer, but maybe I've missed it. But...

I've got a canon 20D and when I use my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
lens

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...0&modelid=7344

if I have the stabilizer on, after a few shots the camera will lock
(showing 00 on the screen where the F-stop number normally lives).

I have not experienced this problem if I do not use the image
stabilizer.

I have the battery pack on the camera with two canon batteries (BP511)
installed.

I hae to turn the cmaera off and take the lens off to "reboot" the
camera and take pictures again.

I do not experience this problem with any other lens, or if the image
stabilization is off. On the other hand, none of my other lenes have
IS).

Is this the lens or the camera? Is there an easy fix? Do I have to
send the expensive lens a thousand miles away and hope they can fix
whatever the problem might be?

Rita Berkowitz

badchess wrote:

> Is this the lens or the camera? Is there an easy fix? Do I have to
> send the expensive lens a thousand miles away and hope they can fix
> whatever the problem might be?

Try this.

http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php...READ_ID=254793

Rita

Charles Schuler

I have the same problem ... same lens and same camera.

My guess is that high current drain causes a voltage drop that scrambles the
camera's processor.

Canon must know about this problem but, as is typical these days, will not
ackowledge it.

A low-resistance battery contact is important and the battery grip is
notably poor in this arena. Clean the battery contacts and use freshly
charged batteries.

You are not alone!

badchess

Hmmmm, interesting. I'll forgoe the battery grip and do some shooting
and see if there is a difference. I'll post back with some data. I
like the lens. Naturally it worked great until I went on vacation.

SamSez

"badchess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I've searched for an answer, but maybe I've missed it. But...
>
> I've got a canon 20D and when I use my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
> lens
>
> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...ilAct&fcategor
> yid=150&modelid=7344
>
> if I have the stabilizer on, after a few shots the camera will lock
> (showing 00 on the screen where the F-stop number normally lives).
>
> I have not experienced this problem if I do not use the image
> stabilizer.
>
> I have the battery pack on the camera with two canon batteries (BP511)
> installed.
>
> I hae to turn the cmaera off and take the lens off to "reboot" the
> camera and take pictures again.
>
> I do not experience this problem with any other lens, or if the image
> stabilization is off. On the other hand, none of my other lenes have
> IS).
>

> Is this the lens or the camera? Is there an easy fix? Do I have to
> send the expensive lens a thousand miles away and hope they can fix
> whatever the problem might be?

I have taken thousands of shots with the 100-400 [20% with the 1.4
xtender] on a 20d, almost always with IS on, and never had a problem --
but I don't have the grip.

Wasn't there a recall on the grip at one time?

Stephen M. Dunn

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com> "badchess" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
$if I have the stabilizer on, after a few shots the camera will lock
$(showing 00 on the screen where the F-stop number normally lives).

The 70-200 IS is famous for causing lockups with the 20D,
but it's not the only lens which does so. I can't say I'm entirely
surprised if the 100-400 does it, too.

$I have not experienced this problem if I do not use the image
$stabilizer.

That's a good clue. Canon's semi-official word on the 70-200
issue is that it's an issue of poor contact due to the weight of
the lens. There are those who find that hard to believe, and while
I usually believe Chuck Westfall, the guy at Canon who posted
their explanation, I too find it a bit illogical; if anything,
the weight of the lens should _improve_ connectivity since the
contacts are the bottom of the lens mount.

There are also people who report that there is a new design
for the IS module in the 70-200 which fixes (or at least reduces
the frequency of) this problem. IS obviously draws current in
order to do what it does, and it apparently is a fair bit of
current, as people have been reporting significantly reduced
battery life with IS lenses ever since they came out. Putting
two and two together, that makes it sounds like an issue of
the lens drawing too much current.

$I have the battery pack on the camera with two canon batteries (BP511)
$installed.

There was an electrical bug with early versions of the BG-E2,
for which Canon issued a recall. Check to see if it applies to
yours.

Also, since dirty contacts will impede power delivery, make sure
all of the relevant contacts (lens mount, batteries, battery
compartments, and the end of the grip which connects to the camera)
are clean.

Also, try using the body without the grip; does that make any
difference?
--
Stephen M. Dunn <(E-Mail Removed)>

Skip M

"Stephen M. Dunn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>
> "badchess" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> $if I have the stabilizer on, after a few shots the camera will lock
> $(showing 00 on the screen where the F-stop number normally lives).
>
> The 70-200 IS is famous for causing lockups with the 20D,
> but it's not the only lens which does so. I can't say I'm entirely
> surprised if the 100-400 does it, too.
>
> $I have not experienced this problem if I do not use the image
> $stabilizer.
>
> That's a good clue. Canon's semi-official word on the 70-200
> issue is that it's an issue of poor contact due to the weight of
> the lens. There are those who find that hard to believe, and while
> I usually believe Chuck Westfall, the guy at Canon who posted
> their explanation, I too find it a bit illogical; if anything,
> the weight of the lens should _improve_ connectivity since the
> contacts are the bottom of the lens mount.
>
> There are also people who report that there is a new design
> for the IS module in the 70-200 which fixes (or at least reduces
> the frequency of) this problem. IS obviously draws current in
> order to do what it does, and it apparently is a fair bit of
> current, as people have been reporting significantly reduced
> battery life with IS lenses ever since they came out. Putting
> two and two together, that makes it sounds like an issue of
> the lens drawing too much current.
>
> $I have the battery pack on the camera with two canon batteries (BP511)
> $installed.
>
> There was an electrical bug with early versions of the BG-E2,
> for which Canon issued a recall. Check to see if it applies to
> yours.

That's good advice, the only time I had a lockup with my 20D and 70-200 was
when I was carrying the camera by the flash bracked, and the weight of the
lens torqued the body enough to pull it away from the (slightly loosened)
grip enough to cause a "power outage."

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

W (winhag)

Do you have the latest firmware in your 20D?

badchess wrote:
> I've searched for an answer, but maybe I've missed it. But...
>
> I've got a canon 20D and when I use my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
> lens
>
> http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...0&modelid=7344
>
> if I have the stabilizer on, after a few shots the camera will lock
> (showing 00 on the screen where the F-stop number normally lives).
>
> I have not experienced this problem if I do not use the image
> stabilizer.
>
> I have the battery pack on the camera with two canon batteries (BP511)
> installed.
>
> I hae to turn the cmaera off and take the lens off to "reboot" the
> camera and take pictures again.
>
> I do not experience this problem with any other lens, or if the image
> stabilization is off. On the other hand, none of my other lenes have
> IS).
>

> Is this the lens or the camera? Is there an easy fix? Do I have to
> send the expensive lens a thousand miles away and hope they can fix
> whatever the problem might be?

Kennedy McEwen

In article <zF5nf.3299$du.2535@fed1read02>, Skip M
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>Canon's semi-official word on the 70-200
>> issue is that it's an issue of poor contact due to the weight of
>> the lens. There are those who find that hard to believe, and while
>> I usually believe Chuck Westfall, the guy at Canon who posted
>> their explanation, I too find it a bit illogical; if anything,
>> the weight of the lens should _improve_ connectivity since the
>> contacts are the bottom of the lens mount.

I don't think Canon are talking about the electrical contacts between
the lens and the camera - if they are, then serious OPTICAL problems
will be present long before the distortion of the mount due to the lens
weight gets enough to cause electrical contact problems. I suspect/hope
that they are talking about the contacts between the camera and the
grip, resulting in "brown-outs" of the camera's power supply, which can
certainly cause lock-ups on most software driven electrical equipment,
not just DSLRs.
--
Kennedy

ASAAR

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:24:42 GMT, SamSez wrote:

> I have taken thousands of shots with the 100-400 [20% with the 1.4
> xtender] on a 20d, almost always with IS on, and never had a problem --
> but I don't have the grip.
>
> Wasn't there a recall on the grip at one time?

There was a recall earlier this year, restricted to a certain
range of serial numbers, IIRC. I'm only aware of one thing that was
fixed (although it's likely that there were more) is that if
alkaline AA batteries were used, their life was extremely short.
Sometimes less than a dozen shots, in other cases a couple of dozen.
I don't think that there was a battery life problem if BP511
batteries were used instead. My guess is that the fix cleared up
several issues, which may not have been limited to AA usage. It
would be interesting to find out whether the lens lockup ever occurs
when either good or fixed battery grips are used, of if the battery
grip isn't used. My guess is that when the battery grip is used and
high current is drawn by the camera, poor contacts or lack of heavy
duty wiring (I hope aluminum isn't used instead of copper) results
in voltage problems as seen by the camera/lens. A low, fluctuating
voltage, with CPU-unfriendly transients could be too much for some
lenses to deal with.