Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Sony SLR hybrid

New Sony SLR hybrid

Ihop@comcast.net

Sony just came out with a hybrid SLR.
It's the Sony R1
I guess it's not really an SLR but offers some advantages of an SLR.
Like:
1) no shutter lag
2)Sensor 10 times bigger than a compact digcam (supposedly, overheating
problems have been solved)

You can use the LCD screen to compose your shot (Live preview screen)
You blur the background (or foreground) while keeping the subject in
sharp focus, something that's difficult to do with compact cameras.
Wide angle lens (24mm) is not common on digital SLRs. (So I heard)

Cons:
The review in today's NY Times mentions that it's "big, black and heavy
but comfortable"."
Can't interchange lenses
It has a rotating screen but not well made.
Viewfinder is also electronic. I would think that they would have an
optical viewfinder instead of2 electronic LCDs.
There are other good and bad points but too many to get into now. Check
out today's NY Times.
The list price is $1,000.

Ihor

Bill Funk

On 8 Dec 2005 07:14:31 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Sony just came out with a hybrid SLR.
>It's the Sony R1
>I guess it's not really an SLR but offers some advantages of an SLR.
>Like:
>1) no shutter lag
>2)Sensor 10 times bigger than a compact digcam (supposedly, overheating
>problems have been solved)
>

>You can use the LCD screen to compose your shot (Live preview screen)
>You blur the background (or foreground) while keeping the subject in
>sharp focus, something that's difficult to do with compact cameras.
>Wide angle lens (24mm) is not common on digital SLRs. (So I heard)
>
>Cons:
>The review in today's NY Times mentions that it's "big, black and heavy
>but comfortable"."
>Can't interchange lenses
>It has a rotating screen but not well made.
>Viewfinder is also electronic. I would think that they would have an
>optical viewfinder instead of2 electronic LCDs.
>There are other good and bad points but too many to get into now. Check
>out today's NY Times.
>The list price is $1,000.

Damn! That's expensive for a newspaper!

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

Neil Ellwood

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 08:35:43 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:

> On 8 Dec 2005 07:14:31 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Sony just came out with a hybrid SLR.
>>It's the Sony R1
>>I guess it's not really an SLR but offers some advantages of an SLR.
>>Like:
>>1) no shutter lag
>>2)Sensor 10 times bigger than a compact digcam (supposedly, overheating
>>problems have been solved)
>>

>>You can use the LCD screen to compose your shot (Live preview screen)
>>You blur the background (or foreground) while keeping the subject in
>>sharp focus, something that's difficult to do with compact cameras.
>>Wide angle lens (24mm) is not common on digital SLRs. (So I heard)
>>
>>Cons:
>>The review in today's NY Times mentions that it's "big, black and heavy
>>but comfortable"."
>>Can't interchange lenses
>>It has a rotating screen but not well made.
>>Viewfinder is also electronic. I would think that they would have an
>>optical viewfinder instead of2 electronic LCDs.
>>There are other good and bad points but too many to get into now. Check
>>out today's NY Times.
>>The list price is $1,000.

> Damn! That's expensive for a newspaper!
>>
>>Ihor

That's not for the newspaper - it's for the list.
--
Neil
Delete delete to reply.

m Ransley

Read dpreview if you want to learn, you really missed what it is about,
but its not a camera for me.

Bill Tuthill

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Sony just came out with a hybrid SLR. It's the Sony R1...
> 1) no shutter lag

Bull-oney.

The Imaging-resource.com review says it has (wide to telephoto)
..76 to .77 second lag when using the "framing" viewfinder mode,
..48 to .74 second lag when using the "preview" viewfinder mode,
and slightly faster using continuous autofocus.

This is terrible! I suppose there are some old digicams with
shutter lag this bad, but most newer ones have less.

> ... Check out today's NY Times. > The list price is $1,000.

That's awfully expensive for a newspaper! (Jokes are funnier the 2nd time)

Andreas Buchner

Am 8 Dec 2005 09:57:15 -0800 schrieb Bill Tuthill:

> This is terrible! I suppose there are some old digicams with
> shutter lag this bad, but most newer ones have less.

No, it's really almost instant. The timings mentioned in imaging-res.
review include focussing time.

Regards,
Andi

Bill Tuthill

Andreas Buchner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> This is terrible! I suppose there are some old digicams with
>> shutter lag this bad, but most newer ones have less.

> No, it's really almost instant. The timings mentioned in imaging-res.
> review include focussing time.

So what now, you're planning to take pictures without focusing?

A Canon D series camera with USM lens has AF shutter lag in the .1
to .2 second range. That's four to eight times as fast.

Gerrit 't Hart

"Bill Tuthill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andreas Buchner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> This is terrible! I suppose there are some old digicams with
> >> shutter lag this bad, but most newer ones have less.

> > No, it's really almost instant. The timings mentioned in imaging-res.
> > review include focussing time.

> So what now, you're planning to take pictures without focusing?
>
> A Canon D series camera with USM lens has AF shutter lag in the .1
> to .2 second range. That's four to eight times as fast.

Can't you manually focus (mechanically with a focus ring on the lens) and
then just take the picture without shutter lag?

Gerrit

Joe

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 8 Dec 2005 07:14:31 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Sony just came out with a hybrid SLR.
>>It's the Sony R1
>>I guess it's not really an SLR but offers some advantages of an SLR.
>>Like:
>>1) no shutter lag
>>2)Sensor 10 times bigger than a compact digcam (supposedly, overheating
>>problems have been solved)
>>

>>You can use the LCD screen to compose your shot (Live preview screen)
>>You blur the background (or foreground) while keeping the subject in
>>sharp focus, something that's difficult to do with compact cameras.
>>Wide angle lens (24mm) is not common on digital SLRs. (So I heard)
>>
>>Cons:
>>The review in today's NY Times mentions that it's "big, black and heavy
>>but comfortable"."
>>Can't interchange lenses
>>It has a rotating screen but not well made.
>>Viewfinder is also electronic. I would think that they would have an
>>optical viewfinder instead of2 electronic LCDs.
>>There are other good and bad points but too many to get into now. Check
>>out today's NY Times.
>>The list price is $1,000.

>Damn! That's expensive for a newspaper!

And its a lousy newspaper to boot.

>>Ihor

David J Taylor

Bill Tuthill wrote:
> Andreas Buchner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> This is terrible! I suppose there are some old digicams with
>>> shutter lag this bad, but most newer ones have less.

>> No, it's really almost instant. The timings mentioned in imaging-res.
>> review include focussing time.

> So what now, you're planning to take pictures without focusing?
>
> A Canon D series camera with USM lens has AF shutter lag in the .1
> to .2 second range. That's four to eight times as fast.

The way I work is to pre-focus, and keep my finger on the shutter release
until the critical moment. The shutter lag had by doing this is almost
negligible if you choose the right non-DSLR.

David