Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D-50 and Depth of Field preview?

D-50 and Depth of Field preview?

babalooixnay@hotmail.com

Is anyone else using a D-50? The specs in the book mention a
depth-of-field preview under the Lens Aperture catagory. Am I not
finding a button somewhere on the camera body or are they just refering
to the depth-of-field marks on the Nikkor lenses? I'm used to the
button on my old F bodies, is this being accomplished some other way on
digital bodies?

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> Is anyone else using a D-50? The specs in the book mention a
> depth-of-field preview under the Lens Aperture catagory. Am I not
> finding a button somewhere on the camera body or are they just refering
> to the depth-of-field marks on the Nikkor lenses? I'm used to the
> button on my old F bodies, is this being accomplished some other way on
> digital bodies?

The D50 doesn't have a depth of field preview capability. The D70/D70s
does, using the expected button beside the bottom of the lens.

I looked really closely at both cameras and went with the D70s instead
for several reasons. DOF preview was a minor one. Major ones were:

- the D70s body is (in the shops I looked in here in NZ) only about
US$100 - $150 more than the D50 body. The difference in the kit prices
is about US$300.

- about 80% of the difference in the kit price can be explained by the
better kit lens on the D70s

- the D70s can drive the SB600 flash off-camera using the built-in flash
as a commander. Before getting the camera I wasn't sure if this was a
gimmick, but now that I've used it this is *fantastic*. The SB600 can
be in a different room, facing the other way, around a corner.
Whatever. It Just Works. Put it to the side of the subject, or behind
them, or facing the other way bouncing off the wall behind you.
Whatever. It Just Works. The D50 can do this only by adding an SB800
to it as a commander. The SB800 costs 125% of the price difference
between the D50 kit and the D70s kit. If you think you might want to do
this then the D70s is *cheaper* [1]

The only thing that made me lean towards the D50 was that it has USB2
for much faster transfers of photos to the computer. A USB2 card reader
is $20.

[1] unless you want to control multiple independently-metered groups of
external flashes, for which the D70(s) requires an SB800 too. The
D70(s) can control multiple external flashes, but they all fire with the
same power setting as each other.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

babalooixnay@hotmail.com

Thanks, I figured it was a misprint in the manual. It is a minor thing
but I neglected to compare that function assuming it would just be
there. Price you pay. I bought the body to see if I'd like digital.
I do, and figure to upgrade the body some years down the road when
there will probably be a whole new ball game. The flash issue at the
moment is moot for me as I do mostly natural light photography except
for the holiday snaps.